C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about squeaky pulley

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 08:29 AM
DansVette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Question about squeaky pulley

One of the belt pulleys is squeaking really bad, sounds like the bearings are shot on something. When I have the hood open and the engine running it's not apparent which one is the culprit.
Before I really tear into things, is there a particular part, that is the most common to go out first ?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by DansVette
One of the belt pulleys is squeaking really bad, sounds like the bearings are shot on something. When I have the hood open and the engine running it's not apparent which one is the culprit.
Before I really tear into things, is there a particular part, that is the most common to go out first ?
Not in particular order....

Main belt tensioner, serpentine idler pulley, A/C tensioner. Also, Dayco Poly Cog belts are recommended replacement.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:40 AM
lucky99
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same problem, replaced harmonic balancer with a 25% underdrive and the serpentine belt tensioner. I used GY gatorback belts and it squeels like a school girl until it runs a while. Looking for the culprit now.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:26 PM
1badf350
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look at the belt tensioner first.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:18 PM
B Neat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was the water pump! The coating wore off and no matter what belt I used it was cricket season under my hood. Put a new water pump on and poof, silence of the crickets. If something in the system not in alignment, then the belt will "slip" back into line when it rides over the water-pumps' smooth pulley. Mine developed the problem when my Harmonic balancer retaining bolt backed out and the balancer started "walking" off the crankshaft. After enough time, the coating on the water pump (from what I've been told, it's not paint or powder-coating, but something like Teflon) wore off and the belt started squealing on the bare aluminum. I tried stripping all the coating off and it got worse, way worse. Good luck, I've heard of all sorts of reasons for noisy belts, But the main culprit is pulley alignment.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:21 PM
DansVette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys !

Get notified of new replies

To Question about squeaky pulley

Quick Reply: Question about squeaky pulley