C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C1287 Steering Wheel Position Code

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Torch Red 02
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C1287 Steering Wheel Position Code

I’m getting an intermittent (28-TCS) C1287H code, Steering Position Sensor Circuit, on my 2002 Coupe with 45K miles. I put about 6K miles/yr on the car. Right now I’m getting the code about every other time I drive the car. The code is announced on the DIC as “Service Active Handling”. I first got this message a year ago, and it would reappear after about 6-8 weeks. When I started checking the codes about 6 months ago, I also noticed a C1214H code, Solenoid Valve Relay Contact or Coil Circuit Open. I don’t know how long it had been in the system. As I continue checking and clearing codes, I only get C1287H. It is always a History code, even when I stop and check it immediately. The C1214 code has not reappeared. I’ve gotten the C1287H code about six times in the past 4 weeks. Steering wheel tracks straight, tires are great, no alignment issues.

Five months ago I assumed I needed to go to ABS Fixer and replace the EBCM (based on seeing the C1214 code). But now, since I’m only getting the C1287 code, I’m wondering if the problem is only in the Steering Position Sensor itself (which I would take to a mechanic for servicing). I’ve read many threads on similar issues. I’m not sure why the C1214 code has not re-appeared, or if that is important. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch Red 02
I’m getting an intermittent (28-TCS) C1287H code, Steering Position Sensor Circuit, on my 2002 Coupe with 45K miles. I put about 6K miles/yr on the car. Right now I’m getting the code about every other time I drive the car. The code is announced on the DIC as “Service Active Handling”. I first got this message a year ago, and it would reappear after about 6-8 weeks. When I started checking the codes about 6 months ago, I also noticed a C1214H code, Solenoid Valve Relay Contact or Coil Circuit Open. I don’t know how long it had been in the system. As I continue checking and clearing codes, I only get C1287H. It is always a History code, even when I stop and check it immediately. The C1214 code has not reappeared. I’ve gotten the C1287H code about six times in the past 4 weeks. Steering wheel tracks straight, tires are great, no alignment issues.

Five months ago I assumed I needed to go to ABS Fixer and replace the EBCM (based on seeing the C1214 code). But now, since I’m only getting the C1287 code, I’m wondering if the problem is only in the Steering Position Sensor itself (which I would take to a mechanic for servicing). I’ve read many threads on similar issues. I’m not sure why the C1214 code has not re-appeared, or if that is important. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
I was getting the C1287 code randomly for a while. It just got worst (more frequent) over time. I replaced the Steering Wheel Position Sensor and the problem was fixed. The plastic donut (sensor) has multiple copper contacts inside and they wear out.

Sensor ~$80
Dealership labor ~$250

HTH
Old 04-24-2009, 03:25 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Bluefire
I was getting the C1287 code randomly for a while. It just got worst (more frequent) over time. I replaced the Steering Wheel Position Sensor and the problem was fixed. The plastic donut (sensor) has multiple copper contacts inside and they wear out.

Sensor ~$80
Dealership labor ~$250

HTH

I have a SWPS just waiting to go in
Old 04-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Torch Red 02
Instructor

Thanks guys. Anyone else have a similar problem?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Torch Red 02
Instructor

One more try.... has anyone had the C1287 and C1214 codes pop up at the same time? Did you continue to get the C1287 without the C1214?

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To C1287 Steering Wheel Position Code

Quick Reply: C1287 Steering Wheel Position Code