C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM M12 whine or stock differential whine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 01:48 AM
dhirocz
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Default RPM M12 whine or stock differential whine?

I'm about to have a heart attack.

I just took a 200 mile trip this weekend with the top off and the windows down. Everything was fine, until I got back into town, and I noticed a horrible whine coming from either the trans or the differential. It happens under load, or in the middle of a shift from 3rd and up. It does not whine while coasting.

I noticed that it does it in 3rd gear and above. Trans is an RPM level 4 M12 if I am not mistaken. It has 5000 miles on it. It still shifts fine otherwise.

Differential is the stocker. At home, I have a matching RPM stage 2 diff waiting to go in next weekend. My diff is worn, and always made noise (since I had the car) but wasnt nearly that bad. Made a little noise under load only.

Torque tube is a low mile Z06 unit.

I can feel the shifter vibrate, and it really has me bothered. Getting back to work on monday is not an option. I still have to drive back, and now I find out my bank account was cleared out. Anybody have any idea where the whine could be coming from?

It whines like it's a differential (under load only) but because it happens in 3rd gear and above makes me wonder if thats the transmission. I tried to fluctuate raise RPM's in second to duplicate, but couldnt do it...though the exhaust is loud at that speed.

Anyone care to take a crack at where the problem is?
Old 06-20-2009, 06:43 AM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never heard of transmission whine before but i could be wrong, but iam sure whine could be from Differential. Usually whine dont do hurt but its just that whine bothers though.

Contact Rpm and speak to rodney himself.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:20 AM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhirocz
I'm about to have a heart attack.

I still have to drive back, and now I find out my bank account was cleared out.
What?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:05 AM
dhirocz
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah. It wasnt a good day.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:31 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree, call RPM and talk to Rodney. That way you're getting a heads up from a great technician. Think positive, it's probably the rear and you allready have a good H/D one that will compliment the H/D trans. I too was stationed at Ft. Stewart after returning from Nam in 68. 11 Bravo (you know what I mean ). Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To RPM M12 whine or stock differential whine?

Quick Reply: RPM M12 whine or stock differential whine?