C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed my EBCM!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:52 PM
sprayed1998
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Fixed my EBCM!!!

After a year of driving around looking at my ABS and Traction lights on the dash I decided to do a little research. I looked at just about every thread on this forum looking for ideas and I finally found one I was capable of doing right away.

I don't want to make this sounds super easy, but with mediocre mechanical skills it can be done.

1.) Remove the EBCM, this involves removing 6 T20 Torx screws and two wiring connections.

2.) Remove the 4 Torx screws holding the plate on the EBCM Unit.

3.) This part was very hard for me but if you do what I did at the end it should be easy, the plate is held on by some VERY tough black sealant that is gonna need some heat to break loose, I use a butane torch and slowly pryed around the edge till it popped off.

4.) Now for this last step you are gonna need a desoldering gun, there is a white relay in-between the two boards that has 5 soldered connections to the board. Apparently the manufacturer of this part did not do a very good job and after time the connections will break loose causing the unit not to work. All I did was desolder and resolder those 5 connections and reinstalled the unit. To my surprise on the very 1st start up my dash lights were off and my Traction/ABS was in full working order.

I have no clue if this will work for everybody but it worked for me and IMO is worth a try. I bought the desoldering gun at Radio Shack for $12.00, also bought some contact cleaner and silicone sealant to reseal the plate after I was done.

Last edited by sprayed1998; 06-20-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:56 PM
T.J.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long has this worked?
Old 06-20-2009, 01:04 PM
sprayed1998
Racer

1 day and counting lol, ill keep you guys updated if it decides to act up again. But considering two of the connections to that relay were not even touching the board I think it's gonna hold up.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by sprayed1998
1 day and counting lol, ill keep you guys updated if it decides to act up again. But considering two of the connections to that relay were not even touching the board I think it's gonna hold up.
Thanks for the information. It might come in handy down the road. To bad you didn't take photos along the way to share...or did you?

Old 06-20-2009, 01:34 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

Could you please take the time to post the threads that helped? Your descriptions are generally good, but it would be nice to have more info.

I'd like to fix mine. I have the notorious ebcm issue right now, this would be a nice weekend project.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:07 PM
sprayed1998
Racer

This site helped me a bit although it did not show the white relay that has the bad connections.

http://www.bustedcar.com/our_pictures1.htm

But you can not miss it. It is on the end of the module and it clearly visible, it is white with 5 or 6 prongs that connect to the motherboard.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:10 PM
sprayed1998
Racer

Here is the picture of the white relay and it's prongs.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:44 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

This site helped me a bit although it did not show the white relay that has the bad connections.

But you can not miss it. It is on the end of the module and it clearly visible, it is white with 5 or 6 prongs that connect to the motherboard.
That has to be one of THE BEST damn links I have ever seen, those guys know wtf is going on!!!!:fla g:

absfixer??? not anymore
Old 06-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Blackpixi7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, I just got mine back from absfixer...$150.... wish I saw this before
Old 06-20-2009, 05:34 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Great info, great post!

I only wish my '99 EBCM was something I could tackle like this, but unfortunately it is completely different and replacement is the name of the game.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:47 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Double thanks!

When do mine in a week or so I'll take plenty of pictures/list descriptions so it might be added to the DIY sticky.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had another thread going on this.

I ended up putting in the $1.54 new relay. Got three spares now too.

I'm one day and counting also.

I ended up putting the black gasket maker on top of the relay to keep it in place but didn't do more clear silicon. I gasket makered the hell out of the lip after wire brushing the plate and body. Also replugged the pressing hole. Shouldn't be a tough to redo in the future.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:20 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow, just sent mine off to the absfixer Thursday! At least I will have a lifetime guarantee. Hopefully Joshua will get a write up done with pics and a sticky. There are always as least 3 to 5 threads about the 1214 code at all times.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:44 PM
beninchesapeake
Intermediate

Default Cowabunga!

After a year of driving around looking at my ABS and Traction lights on the dash I decided to do a little research. I looked at just about every thread on this forum looking for ideas and I finally found one I was capable of doing right away.

I don't want to make this sounds super easy, but with mediocre mechanical skills it can be done.

1.) Remove the EBCM, this involves removing 6 T20 Torx screws and two wiring connections.

2.) Remove the 4 Torx screws holding the plate on the EBCM Unit.

3.) This part was very hard for me but if you do what I did at the end it should be easy, the plate is held on by some VERY tough black sealant that is gonna need some heat to break loose, I use a butane torch and slowly pryed around the edge till it popped off.

4.) Now for this last step you are gonna need a desoldering gun, there is a white relay in-between the two boards that has 5 soldered connections to the board. Apparently the manufacturer of this part did not do a very good job and after time the connections will break loose causing the unit not to work. All I did was desolder and resolder those 5 connections and reinstalled the unit. To my surprise on the very 1st start up my dash lights were off and my Traction/ABS was in full working order.

I have no clue if this will work for everybody but it worked for me and IMO is worth a try. I bought the desoldering gun at Radio Shack for $12.00, also bought some contact cleaner and silicone sealant to reseal the plate after I was done.
Great job, what year is your Vette? I might try this if mine looks the same. Great post
Old 06-21-2009, 03:07 PM
sprayed1998
Racer

Originally Posted by beninchesapeake
Great job, what year is your Vette? I might try this if mine looks the same. Great post
2002 Z06.

I had seen that alot of people had been changing the relay and was about to order one myself, but I found a post about how somebody had contacted ABSFIXER and he had told them that alot of the times it is nothing more than the contacts to that relay so I gave it a shot and it worked. Hopefully this will help people in the future.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:04 PM
beninchesapeake
Intermediate

Default Thanks

Thanks, sprayed, I'm still in my gathering info stage, yours was very helpful.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:36 PM
OSUnumberone
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Evilash
I had another thread going on this.

I ended up putting in the $1.54 new relay. Got three spares now too.

What's the part number and manufacturer of the relay that is being replaced? Anyone found a good place to buy them?

Get notified of new replies

To Fixed my EBCM!!!

Old 06-21-2009, 11:03 PM
SCannon
Pro

When your EBCM went bad and you were getting the errors, did all of your tire pressure sensors show blank spaces next to them? I just go the TCS, ABS, errors when i turn the key and noticed that none of my tire pressure sensors are showing anything.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:42 AM
sprayed1998
Racer

I have a Z06 so no tire sensors.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:00 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by SCannon
When your EBCM went bad and you were getting the errors, did all of your tire pressure sensors show blank spaces next to them? I just go the TCS, ABS, errors when i turn the key and noticed that none of my tire pressure sensors are showing anything.
Your TPM's transmit their data to the same radio receiver used by your key fob, which in turn then sends the information on to your DIC. They are not a part of the ABS/Traction Control system.

Quick Reply: Fixed my EBCM!!!