C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dreaded squeaky belt!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 02:07 PM
chrisbenoit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The dreaded squeaky belt!!!

I have a 99 FRC. I just replaced both accessory and ac belt along with the tensioner pulley and idler pulley on the accessory belt. My squeak just seems to be getting worse. I believe the squeaky is coming from the alternator. With the belt off and spinning the alternator by hand i can faintly hear a small squeak. I can only believe that this gets worse with rpm. Are the alternators known to squeak or am I heading down the wrong path? Do I have to replace the alternator or can I service it? Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks. I do have a slight balancer wobble but I don't think that it is causing this squeak.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:27 AM
sbadd99
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts

have it serviced, grap a piece of heater hose one end to your ear and move the other end to the Alt or any other bearing etc you will find it quick.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Deception
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

grap a piece of heater hose one end to your ear and move the other end to the Alt or any other bearing etc you will find it quick.

I just went through this, although mine was more of a whistle it eventually turned into a squeal. Mine ended up needing a new tensioner pulley and a crank pulley. I saw the belt moving ever so slightly on the tensioner above the crank pulley which is what indicated the crank pulley going out.

The best tool to have would be a mechanics stethoscope which Auto Zone or Sears have for about $10-$15. Take the metal prod off the end just leaving the hose open and poke around the pulleys to try and find the one making the noise.

Get notified of new replies

To The dreaded squeaky belt!!!

Quick Reply: The dreaded squeaky belt!!!