C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine ticking noise after ECS blower cam install video inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:45 PM
ttbestas
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Engine ticking noise after ECS blower cam install video inside

Hello
i installed ECS blower cam with new timing chain, oil pump. I have engine ticking noise and its not like sewing machine i guess other people getting. The valve train is all stock, oil pressure is good, AFR on idle is normal as well.

thats the video of the noise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spfsq5Z6gvo
could that be lifter or maybe the rocker? or its something else. thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I can't run the youtube from where I am right now, will later. How long was the engine ran with the pickup tube issue you had?
Old 08-11-2009, 03:17 PM
ttbestas
Pro

Originally Posted by Eric D
I can't run the youtube from where I am right now, will later. How long was the engine ran with the pickup tube issue you had?
no more then 15 sec.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:02 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ttbestas
no more then 15 sec.
Did ECS confirm that stock springs are ok with their cam?
Old 08-11-2009, 04:21 PM
ttbestas
Pro

Yes they did
Old 08-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Blown427conv
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about pushrod length?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:18 PM
SilentFright
Drifting

First off, did this tick develop after a little drive time or was it there from first fire?

Present from first fire:
1. Make sure you have oil pressure!

2. If the new camshaft is on a smaller base circle than the stock cam your lifter preload will be affected (using the stock pushrods). Use an adjustable pushrod length checker to verify you are still within the stock lifter's ideal preload range. A shallow lifter preload will cause ticking.

Developed tick:
1. Remove valve covers and look for rockers that have barfed needle bearings. This will cause slop in the geometry and result in a tick.

2. I know most popular LSX blower cams incorporate very moderate lift into their designs but the lobe profile (ramp rate) is likely more aggressive than OEM. This can also be taxing on valve springs (especially high mileage springs). If you stuck with your stock springs (you stated valvetrain is all stock) check for spring breakage.

Regards,

Last edited by SilentFright; 08-11-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:40 PM
ttbestas
Pro

Guys thanks for the answers, I noticed that sound right after I start the engine. I have no idea about cam spec just know that it should work with stock valvetrain, maybe ecs will check this thread and give theyr opinion. Tmrw I will remove valve covers.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Guys thanks for the answers, I noticed that sound right after I start the engine. I have no idea about cam spec just know that it should work with stock valvetrain, maybe ecs will check this thread and give theyr opinion. Tmrw I will remove valve covers.
You might as well pull the valve covers and start with some of the already suggested checks. Also check the valve springs are not going into coil bind. It will make a noise much like the one on your youtube.

As a side note, change out your brake fluid!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:28 PM
ls1impulse
Burning Brakes

What was the previous cam? if the base circles are different in the old/new cam it's very likely you'll need different sized pushrods; which is what the video sounds like.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:03 PM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't waste your time with the valve covers yet, drain your oil and see if there are any needle bearings in there. If so it's either a lifter or a rocker arm which is not good. If there is something in the oil you probably aren't going to be the one to fix it so just send it to the shop. If the oil is clean THEN go to the trouble to pull your valve covers if you think you want to try to fix it yourself if it's somewhat simple like a broken valve spring.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:49 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Most likley cause,,,,pushrods are too short! Call ECS and discuss the issue with them.

BC
Old 08-12-2009, 09:21 AM
ttbestas
Pro

so i removed valve covers. 7 pushrods on driver side are bent.

pass side head is fine. What could cause that? When i was installing the drivers side head i forget to install this part

and the rockers were tight, so maybe i could damage pushrods by overtighting the rockers. but i havent start the engine that way, i noticed something missing, installed missing piece, but havent checked the pushrods, then started the engine
I have new hardened stock lenght pushrods just im kinda scared to install them, if the some happens again. thanks for you help.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:36 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

What could cause that? When i was installing the drivers side head i forget to install this part and the rockers were tight, so maybe i could damage pushrods by overtighting the rockers.
Ain't no maybe about it. If you torqued those rocker arms down tight without that tray in place then you bent the bejeezus out of those rods in the process. It adds a huge (relatively speaking) amount of clearance.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:46 AM
ttbestas
Pro

Originally Posted by wcsinx
Ain't no maybe about it. If you torqued those rocker arms down tight without that tray in place then you bent the bejeezus out of those rods in the process. It adds a huge (relatively speaking) amount of clearance.
thanks thats what i think of as well. Hope i didnt do to big damage to the engine by this mistake
Old 08-12-2009, 09:50 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

so i removed valve covers. 7 pushrods on driver side are bent.

pass side head is fine. What could cause that? When i was installing the drivers side head i forget to install this part

and the rockers were tight, so maybe i could damage pushrods by overtighting the rockers. but i havent start the engine that way, i noticed something missing, installed missing piece, but havent checked the pushrods, then started the engine
I have new hardened stock lenght pushrods just im kinda scared to install them, if the some happens again. thanks for you help.
Forgot to install the rocker arm pivot support, and tightened those babies down anyway, huh? I didn't see that one coming.. I can't help but wonder if there is any lifter damage..
Old 08-12-2009, 09:55 AM
ttbestas
Pro

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Forgot to install the rocker arm pivot support, and tightened those babies down anyway, huh? I didn't see that one coming.. I can't help but wonder if there is any lifter damage..
thats exactly what happened. is the a way to check lifter damage or i have to remove heads to check that out? thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Engine ticking noise after ECS blower cam install video inside

Old 08-12-2009, 09:56 AM
95BlueBomber
Melting Slicks

Ouch, well at least you found the problem. Hopefully it didn't damage anything else. Good luck!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:00 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

thats exactly what happened. is the a way to check lifter damage or i have to remove heads to check that out? thanks
Considering the circumstances, I'd just change the lifters out...but that's just me. Sucks...especially if you don't have studs....
Old 08-12-2009, 10:48 AM
slothy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ya for the 150 bucks or so for lifters, id just replace and sleep better at night knowing.

Quick Reply: Engine ticking noise after ECS blower cam install video inside