C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sterring column lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Keppah
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sterring column lock

Car would start but couldn't drive fuel shut of set to 2mph.INFORMATION FROM THIS FORUM TOLD ME WHAT TO DO.Removed Part GM put in(GM steering column lock mechanisim) car runs fine now.Have column lock bypass ordered.Is it safe to drive car now or will this happen again?Part will be here in a week.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:07 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 437 Likes on 250 Posts

Feeling lucky? It's a crap shoot.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Keppah
Instructor

Thanks for reply.Going to take car to dealer to get fuel shut of changed from 2mph to a higher setting.It is an hour away guess I will take chance or call a tow truck.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:59 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think the Dealer will do that.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:29 PM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Keppah
Car would start but couldn't drive fuel shut of set to 2mph.INFORMATION FROM THIS FORUM TOLD ME WHAT TO DO.Removed Part GM put in(GM steering column lock mechanisim) car runs fine now.Have column lock bypass ordered.Is it safe to drive car now or will this happen again?Part will be here in a week.
I drove my '00 A4 absent the harness K until I received and installed my CLB unit, without any problems over three years ago
Old 08-18-2009, 05:32 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Thanks for reply.Going to take car to dealer to get fuel shut of changed from 2mph to a higher setting.It is an hour away guess I will take chance or call a tow truck.
The BCM only checks the status of the column lock when you first turn the key. Once it starts and you can drive it, the BCM will not shut off the fuel while you are driving. It does not check again until the next ignition cycle.
If you reconnected the actuator, and the lockplate has been removed, there is a good chance your actuator will work for awhile since there is no lockplate to put the pin in a bind.

The best long term solution may still be to install a reliable column lock simulator relay to satisfy the BCM. I also doubt that a dealer will reset the speed for fuel cut off. You better call before you take the car in.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Keppah
Instructor

Thanks for replys.If the lockplate is removed what difference if the fuel shutoff is changed its not really for safety if column won't lock up?Wouldn't it just be more for theft?Will column lock bypass correct this problem?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Keppah
Instructor

A couple of people said they didn't think tha dealer would change fuel setting don't know why they wouldn't.When you say to hook up CLB you have to disconectthe Actuator which one is that?Is that where the CLB hooks into?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:52 PM
99BlkVette
Intermediate

I've got a similar issue as well. If I am hearing this right, there doesn't seem to be a way to get away from the 2mph fuel cut without getting it reprogrammed by either EFI Live or HP tuners. Is this correct?

From what I can tell, I have a CLB installed. My column is not locked, but I get the pull 10 sec and I can't go past 2mph without having the fuel cut off. On the column lock connector, I have a harness extension that goes to a relay. Is this the CLB or is the K-harness? This is on a 99 6spd.

Is there anything else that can be done to get past the 2mph deal? I thought I read something about pulling a few relays or fuses. I also was reading that redoing the grounds might help as they are linked to the CL. The last thing I heard about was to reset all the codes and pull power away from the car. Anyone know what will and what won't work in either of our conditions?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:22 AM
JamieBridwell
Intermediate

Wow, as a new owner of a 98 automatic, all of the column lock issues have really confused me! I don't know what has been done to mine, but with the key out of the ignition my steering wheel does not lock. I assume that the recall has been done to remove the locking mechanism. Should I get the fuel shut off set to 200 MPH, and then would I be safe?
Old 08-19-2009, 11:28 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Thanks for replys.If the lockplate is removed what difference if the fuel shutoff is changed its not really for safety if column won't lock up?Wouldn't it just be more for theft?Will column lock bypass correct this problem?
You are right that it does not make sense to cut the fuel if the column cannot lock anyway, but a dealer is still obligated to do only what GM authorizes.
A column lock bypass relay will send a signal to the BCM so that it thinks the column is unlocked and will not cut the fuel.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Keppah
Instructor

Thanks 8Vette7.You have lots of good information.Thanks to all the rest of Fourm members.

Get notified of new replies

To sterring column lock

Quick Reply: sterring column lock