C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake line around the axle 3 times now...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Scoundrl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brake line around the axle 3 times now...

Hey guys. I have a 2000 coupe that has have some issues with the brake line wrapping around the rear axle. The first time it did it I was doing aprox 130 and all of a sudden I hear a click click click... Pull into the paddock and find the rear brake line had wrapped around the rear axle. So we get the car home and fab up a new line (cannot buy them pre bent). We had it pretty much the same as the stock line. Next time out, around 130mph click click clicc.... pull in and its happened AGAIN! Same thing, fab up a new one (this time added clamp where clip was on side of frame) and again at about 130 click click click.. this time smoke too! ripped the CV boot and grease on the exhaust smoked up..

Anyone have this happen?

PS Its the drivers side and the axle was not a genuine GM, replaced with one from schucks or auto zone a while back because CV boot had a pin hole and spewed grease.

-Ken
Old 09-22-2009, 09:06 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I have read about other people having trouble with the CV joint boot rubbing a hole in the brake line. You need to make sure it is routed so that there is plenty of clearance.

You might also check to see if the CV boot is the same diameter as stock.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:19 PM
torkman15
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 2000 with lines that were all over the exhaust (someone jacked em all up) so I routed them straight back above the diff and out above the exhaust, along the bottom of the rail that the rear sub bolts to and into the brakeline mounted in the stock position. I am sure this routing will keep my lines away from both exhaust and prop shaft.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Scoundrl
Racer

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I have read about other people having trouble with the CV joint boot rubbing a hole in the brake line. You need to make sure it is routed so that there is plenty of clearance.

You might also check to see if the CV boot is the same diameter as stock.
The first line was stock and in the stock location, the second one we routed where we thought it was far enough away, the third I routed at least 1.5 inches away. It seems like it has to be the boot stretching and hitting it then grabbing it with friction and sucking it in. I'll be routing the new one further away and mounting a CAMERA to SEE whats going on next time.

-Ken
Old 09-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Scoundrl
Racer

Originally Posted by torkman15
I bought a 2000 with lines that were all over the exhaust (someone jacked em all up) so I routed them straight back above the diff and out above the exhaust, along the bottom of the rail that the rear sub bolts to and into the brakeline mounted in the stock position. I am sure this routing will keep my lines away from both exhaust and prop shaft.
You got any pics of this, I'd love to see it.

-Ken
Old 09-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by Scoundrl
You got any pics of this, I'd love to see it.

-Ken
Sound like you may have a few broken brake line retainers on the rear suspension cross member. I hope the below pics are helpful

Kevin

Old 09-22-2009, 10:50 PM
whiteboy572ci
Racer

Stop running 130mph j/k, havent had this problem and been around 150mph a few times.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Scoundrl
Racer

Originally Posted by 69
Sound like you may have a few broken brake line retainers on the rear suspension cross member. I hope the below pics are helpful

Kevin
Thanks for responding Kevin. All of the retainers are there except for flat one on the k-member. I am not sure where that one is however I did replace the one on the inside of the frame rail with a ruberized P-Clip clamp and it did not move for sure this last time. In fact that clip held in in place doing more damage to the inner mount point and CV boot than before. All I can think is something 'grabbed' it and sucked it in. If there are reports of boots rubbing holes in lines this could certainly be the case. I will make sure and get the one clip I did see missing though, never to safe when it comes to the brakes!

-Ken
Old 09-20-2016, 09:20 PM
Andrew Sheldon
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ken, old post but taking a chance that you're still monitoring it. I just had the exact same experience with my 2001 z06. Replaced the drivers side axle half last month because it was leaking around the band. Also used non GM part though not sure of the brand. I was at the track yesterday and all of a sudden heard a loud clicking noise. Pulled into the garage to find the brake line wrapped up in the CV boot. Bent it back into position, went back onto the track and not even one full lap around the track and it happened again. Decided to call it quits for the day and loaded it back on the trailer. Upon taking a better look at it today I noticed one of the retainer clips that holds the brake line to the subframe had broken off. I also found that the sides of the boot must have been rubbing on the subframe, there was a pile of rubber shavings on the frame and the edges of the boot were flattened.

Just curious if you discovered the root cause. I'm leaning towards the boot on the replaced axel half being slightly larger than stock bit was also wondering if the diff could be twisting enough to cause the boot to make contact with the brake line.

-Andrew
Old 09-21-2016, 09:04 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

Andrew it's more likely the cheap aftermarket boot is ballooning out at speeds and hitting the brake line.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:19 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by feeder82
Andrew it's more likely the cheap aftermarket boot is ballooning out at speeds and hitting the brake line.
+1. The Aftermarket ones are softer than OEM and they balloon out at high speeds. On my old race car, we used to tie a string around each groove in the boot and put a drop of super glue on each knot.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:33 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

happen to me a couple times. my lines are all goofy from custom coolers, and being apart so many times...ect... I think my issue is, when gaining big speed, those boots grow and grab the line. my last time, the line turned into a weed wacker and took out the main wiring harness.....that was fun

Get notified of new replies

To Brake line around the axle 3 times now...

Quick Reply: Brake line around the axle 3 times now...