C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ring and Pinion Experts/Analyis

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 03:52 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 22655td
I didnt check that. I know that test, You are suppose to check that with the ring gear out to determine if the pinion bearings are preloaded properly. You are suppose use a spring gauge and check the rolling torque, When I got the rear it was complete, That being correct or not correct wont put the contact up near the edge of the ring
I think the guy you are talking with is giving you a line. The pattern is off,need to go with a thinner pinion shim to bring the pinion gear in deeper so the pattern is in the middle. You sound like you['ve set up some ring and pinions and these are no different, just a little harder to work on. We set them up a lot where I work. If you can't get any satisfaction, call 941 758 9879, ask for Larry, we can help. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:41 PM
22655td
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE
After sending it back, they dissasembled it and the answer is that the pattern is correct and I overheated the ring and pinion???????????? That the tires 345 are too big and they are hard on the ring and pinion drivng it on the highway as it causes to "much rolling resistance" The oil wasnt burned and the bearings are perfect, JUST THE RING AND PINION HAVE BEEN OVERHEATED!!! I feel sorry for you guys that run these rears on the track especially if you have larger tires than stock.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

If I were you I'd be going to a different shop or do it myself. Hope you are not going to smaller tires!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:51 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by kh400
I think the guy you are talking with is giving you a line. The pattern is off,need to go with a thinner pinion shim to bring the pinion gear in deeper so the pattern is in the middle. You sound like you['ve set up some ring and pinions and these are no different, just a little harder to work on. We set them up a lot where I work. If you can't get any satisfaction, call 941 758 9879, ask for Larry, we can help. Good luck!
Interesting. Have you compared notes with other known experts for their feedback i.e. DTE, RPM?
Old 10-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

22655td,

Rolling resistance of tires plays a very small factor on what load the ring and pinion would see. Acceleration or using engine braking, and maybe road grade would be bigger players.

Again, this person is feeding you factors that just don’t play into overheating a ring and pinion set.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:39 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

UPDATE
After sending it back, they dissasembled it and the answer is that the pattern is correct and I overheated the ring and pinion???????????? That the tires 345 are too big and they are hard on the ring and pinion drivng it on the highway as it causes to "much rolling resistance" The oil wasnt burned and the bearings are perfect, JUST THE RING AND PINION HAVE BEEN OVERHEATED!!! I feel sorry for you guys that run these rears on the track especially if you have larger tires than stock.
Sounds like a load of crap to me. I suggest finding a new builder. If that were the case, people running sticky tires would have rear end whine regularly.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:29 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

UPDATE
Cool, even more BS. I have 305's and I still get 30mpg on the highway about the same as the stock tire sizes would get. Not much extra rolling resistance there.

But then after those emails you quoted I would have told him to just replace the gearset for me (in a box) and I'll look after it myself. The replacement gears is the only reason he wouldn't get a big FU from me.

Originally Posted by HP_Addict
I always followed the recommendations of the builder, but my last rear end was built by a local shop. We filled it with Mobil 1 fluid and strapped it to the dyno. First pass the car made 754 rwhp, 18 months later this rear end has never whined. Maybe I got lucky.
Naw, your builder subscribes to the "if it's wrong might as well know before it leaves the shop" theory. Stick the parts in and hammer down. No point waiting 500+ miles to find out it has to be torn into again. I know lots of people who believe that with engines too - no point babying it for 500 miles only to have to tear into it first time you put the hammer down.

Peter
Old 10-07-2009, 09:42 PM
PR1AWRet
Racer

Big tires, lol. 35X12.5 is a big tire. I never had a problem in my Jeep with heat build up. Its shimmed wrong.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

UPDATE
Since you have found no satisfaction with this vendor....can you now please name who it is, so others won't make the same mistake as you?

Old 10-07-2009, 10:16 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

UPDATE
That is a bigger load of bull $h!t than the ultra-concentrated bull $h!t about Phoenix cut gears having a different contact pattern from a standard cut gear. Phoenix cut refers to a manufacturing process that has NOTHING to do with pinion-ring gear position relationship.

One of two things is going on
1. the pinion isn't fully seated (which would say more about their workmanship than any words ever could).
2. the shim under the pinion is too thick and I'm going to guess by at least .050" and maybe .060".

It is obvious the OP knows his way around a rear end. Whoever the dipstick is that is feeding him this line of equine fertilizer may not realize he's talking to someone who may well know as much as he does.

If it hasn't been over 3 months and you paid for the piece with a credit card, and especially if you paid with American Express, send the POS back and dispute the charge.

Charlie

Last edited by cruisemon; 10-08-2009 at 08:10 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 10-07-2009, 10:45 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisemon
If it hasn't been over 3 months and you paid for the piece with a credit card, and especially if you paid with American Express, send the POS back and dispute the charge.

Charlie
Now there's a good idea.

Peter
Old 10-08-2009, 06:32 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
Since you have found no satisfaction with this vendor....can you now please name who it is, so others won't make the same mistake as you?

Yeah....tell us....tell us
Old 10-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CarBoy

Yeah....tell us....tell us
Hold on for a bit, the guy still has his parts!!
Old 10-09-2009, 09:46 AM
22655td
Advanced

Originally Posted by Eric D
Hold on for a bit, the guy still has his parts!!

Some people think just like me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys, I have been a mechanic all my life. I own a run a high HP diesel marine distributorship. I deal with 1550 hp 4 turbo engines at 2300 rpms. I am also a dealer for Twin Disc and ZF marine gears. I know gears and gear contact patterns. I built a 55 chevy with a 327 tunnel ram with dual 660 holleys when I was 17. I ran a 4:88 rear around town as a daily driver. I worked as a heavy duty truck mechanic for the first 10 years of my work life. I built a pile of 16 speed trannys and rear ends that were as big as a volkswagen. I graduated from Nashville Diesel College at 22 years. I am just watching this thread for my bomb. I appreaciate all your responses. Thanks guys

The reason I sent it and tranny to him was his sales pitch and the year warranty. We will see. I can build it my self but I want to see what happens, The funnyest thing is he cant tell what to do to Not overheat it. If the oil isnt burned HOW IN THE F*#@KM did the gear get overheated. The backlash is for the oil film to lubricate the gear. No burned oil no burnt gear pretty simple.

Last edited by 22655td; 10-09-2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: adder
Old 10-27-2009, 02:11 PM
22655td
Advanced

UPDATE ON ISSUE. I sent my rear and tranny back to the company after they built both less than a year ago, He said the rear was set up correctly and he had no explanation other than I overheated it! He also had to go back in my tranny and replace 1 and 2 gear and install syncro rings. I asked why it wasnt warranty as they gave me 1 year warranty on both. The est to build both the first time was 1700 tranny and 1759 for the rear. When he got them the first time he charged me $5100 to build both as they had more issues than the quote over the phone. So less than a year I had a vibration and a terrible whine noise. I sent them back to him and he charged me 1600.00. he said I over heated the rear due to too much HP and too wide of tires! I have never tracked the car or dynoed it. I told him I read the warranty and it said no warranty for abuse, neglect or incorrect oil. I ask what was the actual reason for warranty denial? He gave no reply. Below is the e-mail I sent him in the very beginning with my HP AND tire size. I made the numbers look bigger so I wouldnt be caught with my pants down. I only have 540 rwhp and am running 335 tires. He know this up front. So I paid him again. Never do buisness again with the company. I run a business and repair Marine Diesel engines and that isnt how I operate mine. Live and learn!!!

ORIGINAL E-MAIL he worked off of

My T-56 and rear from my 2002 z-06 has been shipped to you on my account. You should get it on Tuesday
The gear is grinding in 4th and now it is sticking in 4th. I do have the steel fork. I am using the DTE girdle and have left the plates on the rear for you to put back on.
The rear end has a slight gear whine when unloaded on the highway, I want 3:90 gears
I have 600 rwhp with a 427 LS3 build up. I do not track the car but I have tubbed it with 19/30/355 tires.
I do not to have wheel hop!!
You quoted me $1700.00 on the tranny and 1759.00 for the rear. I hope this includes harden shafts on the input and output. I have had this problem several times now in 4th gear. I do NOT bang 4th gear so I don't know why. The GM dealer has fixed it the first time under warranty and blamed it on the 3/4 fork not being steel.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:25 PM
milkman
Instructor

So, Tom are you going to spill the beans on who it was?? I've known for forever, but it seems like others should be warned.....
Old 10-27-2009, 04:06 PM
22655td
Advanced

ROCKLAND STANDARD GEAR (George) in NewYork

Get notified of new replies

To Ring and Pinion Experts/Analyis

Old 10-27-2009, 05:47 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Very disappointing.....

Kind of been following all along.

I thought the first line of excuses were poor but the last bunch and especially the "rolling resistance" has hit rock bottom. Honestly....its so weak I can almost not believe it.

I have my rear end unit sitting on a shelf in my shop at the house.....its been thru the ringer with a 540 RWHP package in front of it. Never made a peep and its wipe pattern is also centered in the ring gear.

Sorry to hear about all your trouble....

Good luck getting her back together properly.

Regards,
Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 10-28-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:00 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

unbelievable!
Old 10-30-2009, 11:47 AM
22655td
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Very disappointing.....

Kind of been following all along.

I thought the first line of excuses were poor but the last bunch and especially the "rolling resistance" has hit rock bottom. Honestly....its so weak I can almost not believe it.

I have my rear end unit sitting on a shelf in my shop at the house.....its been thru the ringer with a 540 RWHP package in front of it. Never made a peep and its wipe pattern is also centered in the ring gear.

Sorry to hear about all your trouble....

Good luck getting her back together properly.

Regards,
Tony
Tony, My engine is running great. You helped me out with the head/ spring set up as I have a large .660 lift cam and you were very help full with me when I was setting the spring coil gap. Your company is also a stand up company. I did NOT have to fight you when your company realized that you had valve stem head wear issues on the ends. You guys fixed my heads at no charge and gave me head gaskets. You also did a little more porting on my exhaust and intake runers along with my FAST intake. That is how you run a buisness, Thanks Again
Tom DeMann

Quick Reply: Ring and Pinion Experts/Analyis