C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! OMW Home and the electrical system has lost it's F'ing mind

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 04:14 PM
ZCarr
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help!! OMW Home and the electrical system has lost it's F'ing mind

I am in the car driving home and am typing this while driving so I appologive for spelling and punctuation. That being said what jus happened to my car. The oil pressure gauge, temp gauge, fuel gauge, radio, power windows, DIC inputs with the exception of the voltage and oil temp just stopped working. Check gauges tractions control lighta ABS lights air bag lights are on as well as Reduced Engine Power and Low Fuel. Is this a bad ground? I restarted the car and everything worked then thid happened again
Old 10-30-2009, 04:27 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe you should focus on DRIVING and not TEXTING. Could be many things, bad ground, short, bad connections in the door,...... Probably a chaffed wire somewhere.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:38 PM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ZCarr
I am in the car driving home and am typing this while driving so I appologive for spelling and punctuation. That being said what jus happened to my car. The oil pressure gauge, temp gauge, fuel gauge, radio, power windows, DIC inputs with the exception of the voltage and oil temp just stopped working. Check gauges tractions control lighta ABS lights air bag lights are on as well as Reduced Engine Power and Low Fuel. Is this a bad ground? I restarted the car and everything worked then thid happened again
for real? hope you don't kill anyone I know when you get in an accident. use some common sense dude
Old 10-30-2009, 04:42 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ZCarr
Pull codes...
Old 10-30-2009, 04:45 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Maybe you should focus on DRIVING and not TEXTING. Could be many things, bad ground, short, bad connections in the door,...... Probably a chaffed wire somewhere.
and be carefull
Old 10-30-2009, 04:48 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Pull codes...
If you can do all this while driving, maybe we can get it fixed before you get home.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,184 Likes on 1,586 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WOW! I have touble answering my phone while driving.

Sounds like your expierencing a very common issue. Pull the DTCs and it will help point us in the correct direction to tell you to look.

READING YOUR Engine Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)

This procedure should be carried out any time you experience a problem with your C5. Most inexpensive store bought aftermarket code readers will ONLY read power train DTC’s. Reading the DTC’s with the C5 built in code reader will allow you to read ALL the modules in the vehicle.

The Diagnostic Display Mode is entered with the following procedure:
1) Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine.
2) Press the RESET button to turn off any warning messages. (i.e. door open, trunk open ect)
3) Press and hold the OPTIONS button
4) While holding OPTIONS, press FUEL button four times within a 10 -second period.

Initially, the on-board diagnostics go into an Automatic Mode which will cycle through each module and shows diagnostic codes in a pre-set sequence: PCM - TCS - RTD - BCM - IPC - RADIO - HVAC - LDCM - RDCM - SCM - RFA. All codes will be displayed for each module. ( i.e. PCM = 4 codes) If none are present in a given module, you will see No More Codes on the display.

There are two types of diagnostic codes, Current and History designated with a letter suffix, “C” or “H”. A current code indicates a malfunction is present in the module displaying data. A history code indicates a problem existed sometime in the last 40 or 50 ignition cycles. When not accompanied by a current code of the same number, it's potential evidence of a previous problem, now resolved, that was not removed by clearing the codes. More likely it's an indication of an intermittent malfunction.

Intermittent codes are the most challenging of the diagnostics. An intermittent code may have happened once, may have happened more than once but is inconsistent or may be happening on a regular basis but not at the time the codes are displayed. History codes can also be caused by a current malfunction in a system that is not operating at the time codes are displayed. An example is the rear window defogger which doesn't operate until the Body Control Module detects engine rpm. For history codes set by a module that does not operate with the key on and engine off, a special diagnostic tool called a Scan Tester is necessary to properly diagnose the malfunction.

Once the system has displayed all modules, it goes into the manual mode which allows selection of each module using combinations of Driver Information Center buttons. Manual mode can also be entered during the automatic sequence by pressing any button except E/M. Once the display shows Manual Diagnostics, select a module by pressing the OPTIONS button to go forward or the TRIP button to go back. Once a module is selected, a code is displayed, and if more than one are present; press GAGES to go forward or FUEL to go back.
To exit the diagnostic mode at any time, press E/M. If you want to erase codes in a given module, press RESET To reset the codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until it displays NO CODES Press OPTIONS to go to the next module. Repeat the steps until you have reset the codes in all the computer modules.
NOTE!! Only reset the codes IF you want to - it is NOT necessary to do this. Clearing a code does not repair a problem. You are simply erasing the evidence of it in the module's memory. If you clear the code/s, and extinguish the Check Engine Light, your emissions status ready will NOT allow you to pass an emissions test until you have completed the required driving cycles. There are a few body module DTC’s that if set will prevent the module from operating properly. Once the DTC is cleared, the module will return to full function. This is not true for power train DTCs.

If you have never read and cleared your codes, there will probably be a lot of old history DTCs. It is recommended that you clear your codes and see if any come back during a driving cycle. Those are the ones that you need to concentrate on diagnosing.

Once you have the codes, the next question is: What to do with the information?
First, consult the factory service manual. Any serious C5 Do-It-Yourself owner should invest in the Corvette Service Manual of the appropriate model year. The Service Manual is really a requirement if you want to understand and work on your C5.

These are some very good C5 Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) explanation web sites!!! They also explain how to read the DTCs

Here are some very good sites that explain what DTC mean:

http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic11755.php

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...d-ii-codes.php

Make sure to include the H or C suffix when you post your DTCs!!
Old 10-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Troll

Troll Alert or WTFE
Old 10-31-2009, 11:45 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Grrrrrr one of those drivers I would love to shoot on sight! Should be a open season on em!
Old 10-31-2009, 07:15 PM
CoreyZ06
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for all the **** that had a cow about you txting while driving.

i do it ALL THE TIME too. guess im just talented. actually, my peripheral vision is so good i can see stuff that is behind me, so its not a big deal. in a psyc class i took a long time ago, we were going through the sensory system and peripheral vision.. and my prof said it wasnt possible to see behind you.. so i raised my hand saying it was. the bitch put me on the spot in front of the class, had me stand up while she moved around and what not behind me, and i could tell her every time what was going on. she was amazed. could have something to do with my ancestors being ridiculously good at killing their food. (native american). i can see in the dark far better than most, and have 20:10 vision. so i can see at 20 feet what someone else with a "perfect" eye can just make out at 10 feet.

stop me.

find something more important to take a stand on. reminds me of our federal government... spend all kinds of money and time trying to get the olympics in chicago only to get bitch slapped by the world.. when they have PLENTY more to worry about here at home. ****. all of them.

one of the things mentioned in the best man speech for one of my friends was that he can light a cigarette, make a turn, shift 3rd, and send a text message all at the same time. its just part of his character.

please find something else to worry about.

back to the point, at bill's suggestion, when i had some strange things going on, i checked the "accordion" connectors in the doors. i found some really nasty stuff on the passenger side. cleaned it up and so far so good. just as one of the places you could look in your quest.

our cars have WAY more electrical problems than i have ever seen in any one make/model. so put your helmet on.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:22 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by CoreyZ06
for all the **** that had a cow about you txting while driving.

i do it ALL THE TIME too. guess im just talented.
Tell that to the cops investigating the accident after you rear end somebody. Sooner or later it's gonna happen.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:24 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Must be a reason many municipalities are OUTLAWING texting while driving-most of the morons that do it think they can do anything they want no matter what the evidence says. If you do it while driving, your a wreck looking for a place to happen-it's a proven FACT that your as distracted by texting as much as being DRUNK. So pull over and text MEATHEAD or better yet, get off the public roads in general. Maybe go to the track and text while your racing-should be amusing to watch.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:31 PM
CoreyZ06
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there needs to be a $hit stirring smiley.

it is illegal to text and drive here in TX but only in school zones. makes perfect sense and i obide by the law 100%.

to make high sped maneuvers there is no way my phone is even so much as on my mind.

meathead. lol. thats what i call my lab

get off the public roads? after you... i've paid more in state taxes than you in the past 2 years i can guarantee it. i can drive on the roads as long as i abide by the laws. and i do.

proven FACT? link me to the empirical evidence. BURN. there isnt any.

Last edited by CoreyZ06; 10-31-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:33 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you aware that texting and cell phone use has now surpassed drunk driving as the leading cause of traffic fatalities?
Old 10-31-2009, 10:16 PM
terrible1one3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ibtc
Old 10-31-2009, 11:48 PM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

the mods don't allow posts about street racing and I doubt many would come on here and post about drinking and driving. I hope we can all agree those are bad. so lets worry about texting since it's dangerous too.
texting while driving is a bad idea. running with scissors isn't illegal but I don't do it because its stupid. I am begining to understand why the government makes so many laws to protect people. appearently they are necessary.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:29 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by CoreyZ06

it is illegal to text and drive here in TX but only in school zones. makes perfect sense and i obide by the law 100%.
Obviously, the lawmakers in TX are a bunch of morons. Some areas ban the use of cell phones if not hands free, yet it's not illegal to text except in a school zone.

Let's see ... let's make texting legal since you have to look down (eyes completely off the road) to see the device and see what you're typing, but you can't hold a phone to your ear while you can keep your eyes on the road? Brilliant!

http://handsfreeinfo.com/texas-cell-...ws-legislation

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 11-01-2009 at 01:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help!! OMW Home and the electrical system has lost it's F'ing mind

Old 11-01-2009, 04:30 AM
99FRC Newb
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

my car does it sometimes. turn the car off, open the D/S door and wiggle the rubber thing a little. start car, drive home
Old 11-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,184 Likes on 1,586 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 99FRC Newb
my car does it sometimes. turn the car off, open the D/S door and wiggle the rubber thing a little. start car, drive home
Thats my thoughts too but,,,it could also be a power issue caused by the ignition switch. I asked for the DTCs to help narrow that down a little. Sometimes seeing them can point to one or the other. Thats a very good first thought!

BC
Old 11-01-2009, 01:38 PM
ZCarr
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PCM
P1626 H

TCS
U1301 H
C1214 h
C1226 H
C1233 H
C1247 H
C1287 H
C1288 H

BCM
B2723 H
U1255 H
U1096 H
U1016 H

SDM
U1301 H
U1096 H

IPC
U1255 H
U1016 H
U1064 H
U1040 H
U1088 H
U1176 H
U1160 H

RADIO
U1096 H
U1064 H
U1016 H

HVAC
U1064 H
U1096 H
U1160 H
U1255 H

LDCM
B2284 H
B2262 H
B2264 H
U1255 H
U1064 H
U1016 H
U1096 H

RDCM
B2283 H
B2285 H
B2265 H
U1255 H
U1064 H
U1016 H
U1096 H

SCM
U1300 U
U1255 H
U1016 H
U1064 H

BO-RFA
C2105 H
C2110 H
U1000 H
U1255 H
U1064 H
U1096 H
U1016 H

Bill
I cleaned and greased both ground connectors that are located above the wheel well. The drivers side connector was clean and the passengers side connector was filthy. Could the passenger side connector be the cause of the TCS and active handling going out when I drove over bumps? Cleaning both of these connectors did not seem to solve the problem I was having so I wiggled both of the accordian type structures that go to the doors. The drivers side did not have any affect on the problem but by moving the accordian thing on the passenger side door I was able to turn my gauges on and off, it also seemed to make a few relays go crazy turning them on and off as well. Can I fix this problem by cleaning and greasing the connectors for this harness? Do I have to unwrap the bundle of wires and look for for places where the insulation has worn through? Where can I buy the pink wire wrap that GM used? Can I get to the connections for this harness through the kick panel in the foot well or do I have to take off the door panel? How do I take off the door panel? Thank you for all your help and the time you put into this site Bill.

PS
I was in RT 1 traffic on friday when I was texting from the car. For those of you who are not from NJ and dont know what RT 1 is like on a friday I will explain the situation to you. It is a parking lot that stretches for about 5 miles. I do not think I was putting anyones life in danger while occasionally doing a max of 5 miles and hour. So I apologize to anyone who felt that I was putting the general publics life in danger or was just being discourteous to those around me.

PSS
To those people who decided to launch rude personal attacks because I was texting while in traffic. If you believe that texting in traffic is this monumental task and I was endangering the life of those around me then you are on the bottom of the intellectual food chain and Darwinism would have gotten you long ago if it were not for the rest of society. So please do the world a favor and just kill yourselves through starvation. Thank you and do not post on my threads if you do not like what I have to say.

Quick Reply: Help!! OMW Home and the electrical system has lost it's F'ing mind