C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braided brake lines???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 07:49 PM
twoboysinheritance
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braided brake lines???

who has the best easy fit lines,I purchased the C6 brake kit for my 03 Z06 and the lines they sent are not compatible
Old 11-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I have BF Goodrich ones. The fit was perfect and no funny business with the wheel speed sensors like I have heard of some doing.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:31 PM
99FewteRC5
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

c6 brake line fittings are different
Old 11-07-2009, 08:36 PM
twoboysinheritance
Intermediate

Default they should have told me

I guess the lines they sent are C6 and I may hae f#%*ed up the lines on the car
Old 11-07-2009, 09:03 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Jnape
I have BF Goodrich ones. The fit was perfect and no funny business with the wheel speed sensors like I have heard of some doing.
BF Goodrich does not make stainless brake lines. I'm pretty sure you're referring to lines made by Goodridge, Inc. If so, I agree on the fit, etc. and I use them as well, however the C6 calipers may have fitment compatibility issues as far as fitting thread size or length. I'm not certain on that aspect.

Hopefully someone who has made the conversion to the C6 brake calipers can offer more information.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
BF Goodrich does not make stainless brake lines. I'm pretty sure you're referring to lines made by Goodridge, Inc. If so, I agree on the fit, etc. and I use them as well, however the C6 calipers may have fitment compatibility issues as far as fitting thread size or length. I'm not certain on that aspect.

Hopefully someone who has made the conversion to the C6 brake calipers can offer more information.

Good question,

I have a set of C6Z brakes with stainless lines I bought for my '02Z project. I wonder if the threads on the Frame side Banjo are the same as C5?
Old 11-07-2009, 09:21 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Jnape
Good question,

I have a set of C6Z brakes with stainless lines I bought for my '02Z project. I wonder if the threads on the Frame side Banjo are the same as C5?
Yup, I've seen several posts here in past years by some folks who have made the conversion, but I don't know any specifics about fitting/thread sizes, etc. or if any adapters are required or not. Most of the posts I remember seeing involved some discussion about clearance issues with wheels and such. At least the C6Z conversion posts did anyway.

Anybody give twoboys some help here?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:59 PM
99FewteRC5
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the brake lines on the C6 and C5 are different on the frame side. You need to order C5 stainless lines but with round banjo fittings at the caliper side when doing the C6Z brake conversion.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:06 PM
twoboysinheritance
Intermediate

Default Thanks it all helps

I purchased the upgrade brake kit for my 03 Z and got the kit. Everything installed great until I got down to the lines, the first was a bit diffcult and I figured it was me in a contorted position not getting the threads lined up right. Finally got it and it snugged up ok, the next one did not go so well and I thought I screwed up by cross threading until I got to number 3 same problem. I took a good look at the new lines and the fitting style at the "car" end is completely different.
Should this be the responsibility of West Coat Corvette? They were given all of the information when I placed the order and I figured they would send the correct parts. Now I have my car sitting with the two rear rigid lines out and I need to make new ones,apparently the General does not offer them as parts in stock?!? WTF
Old 11-08-2009, 07:18 PM
cdn ws6
Drifting

Hugh,

If the threads on the hard lines are screwed, can you straighten them out with a die? Also, as far as brake lines are concerned, the others are right, you need C5 lines. I know when I did my C6Z06 brake swap, I ordered my brake lines from Doug Rippie Motorsports as they use the Goodridge lines which are a bit longer than normal Goodridge lines and also do away with the banjo fittings. Let me know if I can help further!

Tyler

Originally Posted by twoboysinheritance
I purchased the upgrade brake kit for my 03 Z and got the kit. Everything installed great until I got down to the lines, the first was a bit diffcult and I figured it was me in a contorted position not getting the threads lined up right. Finally got it and it snugged up ok, the next one did not go so well and I thought I screwed up by cross threading until I got to number 3 same problem. I took a good look at the new lines and the fitting style at the "car" end is completely different.
Should this be the responsibility of West Coat Corvette? They were given all of the information when I placed the order and I figured they would send the correct parts. Now I have my car sitting with the two rear rigid lines out and I need to make new ones,apparently the General does not offer them as parts in stock?!? WTF
Old 11-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Its_Go_Time
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

If you messed up the flare nuts on the end of the rigid lines, one possibility is to cut off the flared end, slip a new nut on(that fits your ss line) and re-flare the end. You shouldnt have to fight to screw your hoses on...makes me think the threads arent the same. If they're not, do as above or exchange the hoses for the proper ones.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:04 AM
The Boy Racer
Advanced

To someone with SS Lines... how much better reaction than stock do you get?
Old 11-13-2009, 03:23 AM
ljthe2nd
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Boy Racer
To someone with SS Lines... how much better reaction than stock do you get?
That depends on how old you stock lines are. If they're old and you put on new SS lines you are likely to notice a difference, but if they're fairly new you probably won't notice anything.

I bought my car new. At about 5k miles I did a complete brake overhaul. Drilled and slotted rotors, red powdercoated calipers, ceramic pads, speed bleeders, SS braided lines ect. Other than they looked nicer and slightly less brake dust, I noticed no performance difference at all.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:13 AM
urtoslo
Pro

I put C6 Z51 calipers on my C5 Z06 with no issues regarding the steel braded brake lines.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:05 AM
twoboysinheritance
Intermediate

Default on the road again...

C6 calipers and rototrs on with with Doug Rippie / Goodrich lines and I can stop now. West Coast Corvettes supplied the kit with the wrong lines and it cost a lot of extra time.
I trusted I was getting the right parts, stupid me

anyway no harm no foul back on the road and ready to put the snow tires on for winter season ahead, anybody got advice on those?

we will save that for another thread

thanks for the help and advice guys

Get notified of new replies

To Braided brake lines???

Quick Reply: Braided brake lines???