C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 MN6 Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:25 PM
jpearl
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 MN6 Transmission Fluid

I now have Dexron IV in my 2000 manual transmission and realize I need to change it. In reading the various posts on the subject, I don't know if my transmission (Borg-Warner T56?) has the paper blocking rings. There is also a seemingly conflict on wether a synthetic fluid will work with these. As of now I'm favoring the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. So, with a car that was built in April, 2000, do I probably have the paper blocking rings? Does this make much difference in fluid selection? What's the consenus today on the correct transmission fluid for this unit? Thanks! John
Old 11-17-2009, 09:51 PM
TonyVette396
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Royal Purple Synchromax works great.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

1997-2000 C5s have paper blocker rings, that is fact.

People disagree on the rest. My 1998 started grinding going into 6th gear after using Mobil 1 ATF for 50,000 miles. I changed clutch fluid, no change. I changed the transmission fluid to Amsoil ATD, the grinding stopped immediately and is fine now after 22,000 more miles.

I would not use Mobil 1 ATF in a 2000 C5.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:30 AM
1blkc4
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default oil

I just changed my manual tranny to amsoil atf , much smoother shifting you cant go wrong with amsoil.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:35 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I changed mine a couple years back and used Dex
Old 11-18-2009, 11:34 AM
The Wrench
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

We had a big thread on this about a year ago; when I changed the fluid in my 2000. Everyone has had various experiences, but I think I could summarize the discussions below. These are not soley my opinions, but a compilation of a bunch of the guys:

1. Changing to any clean new fluid will usually make a noticeable difference in the tranny.
2. Cleaning and lubing the the shift mechanism under the console will also improve shifting feel.
3. Most 2000 models apparantly do have the "paper" blocking rings.
Maybe some very late ones didn't, but I didn't uncover an exact changeover date between late 2000's and early 2001's.
4. M1 "may" be just fine, but the rumor started somewhere, so why take the chance?
5. Royal Purple is the only boutique supplier who recommends the syncromax formulation, which is thicker than the Dexron formulation recommended by Amsoil, Redline, and GM. But some guys on here use syncromax and love it.
6. Amsoil synthetic ATF seems to have a flawless record on this forum;
and it's a Dexron formulation recommended by GM.
7. I put cheap old Pennzoil Dexron IV (not the thinner Dexron VI) in mine, and lubed the linkage, and greatly improved shifting feel.

So, I guess I'd recommend either the cheap Pennzoil Dex IV, or the expensive Amsoil synthetic, depending on how much you want to spend, and maybe on how hard you drive the car. Even though the Amsoil cost is high, you don't do it very often, and it's apparantly as good or better than anything out there.

DG
Old 11-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

There are 2 Amsoil oils that will work, Amsoil ATF or Amsoil ATD. I used ATD, some think it is a better fit.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Oldvetter,

What do you believe would be the advantage of the ATD over ATF? Looking at Amsoil’s website I don’t see much difference in the two oils. It looks like ATD would be slightly better for high temperature conditions but I’m not so sure the Corvette manual transmission would ever run hot enough to take advantage of this.

At my year end storage prep from my 2000 Corvette along with the engine oil change I plan to drain and refill the transmission too. I find it confusing as to what transmission fluid to choose.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Eric D
Oldvetter,

What do you believe would be the advantage of the ATD over ATF? Looking at Amsoil’s website I don’t see much difference in the two oils. It looks like ATD would be slightly better for high temperature conditions but I’m not so sure the Corvette manual transmission would ever run hot enough to take advantage of this.

At my year end storage prep from my 2000 Corvette along with the engine oil change I plan to drain and refill the transmission too. I find it confusing as to what transmission fluid to choose.

It's really a wash, both have VERY similar properties. ATD is made for "more" heavy duty applications and some think it will hold up better. You can't go wrong with either.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:26 PM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Paper blocker rings do not like synthetic fluid except for the amsoil. I would suggest the newest GM fluid or amsoil. I went with amsoil.

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
There are 2 Amsoil oils that will work, Amsoil ATF or Amsoil ATD. I used ATD, some think it is a better fit.
when I talked to the local amsoil guy, he suggest the atd so that's what I used.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The owners manual actually says that it is not neccessary to EVER change the tranny fluid on a 2000 MN6
Old 11-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00
The owners manual actually says that it is not neccessary to EVER change the tranny fluid on a 2000 MN6
True, but T56's don't like dirty fluid. I suggest changing every 30,000 to 50,000 miles. It will shift much better.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:33 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I used the Royal Purple. Improved shifting somewhat but I like knowing I have fresh high grade fluid in there. RP recommends it for my 99 paper blocking rings and all. Prolly been over a year now with no issues. As far as the paper blocking debate goes I still haven't seen a legitimate problem. Lots of keyboard warrior parrots though saying avoid synthetics with paper blocking rings.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:13 AM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Will changing fluid help with a cold transmission condition?

I've got a problem where the first couple of times each day I shift from 3 to 4, the transmission grinds. After those first two shifts, the transmission behaves the rest of the day.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:10 AM
c3andc5
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots and lots of discussion on here about Mobile 1 synthetic ATF and paper blocker rings. Lots of claims concerning damage etc. Even some who say it's OK to use Amsoil synthetic, but not others. I have yet to see even one post from someone with substantiated evidence to these claims. Someone please tell us all that your 2000 MN6 was damaged by Mobile 1 ATF. I've had it in my 2000 for 47K miles now and working superbly. I'll let y'all know if my MN6 breaks up.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Bowtie_Brigade
Instructor

Originally Posted by c3andc5
Lots and lots of discussion on here about Mobile 1 synthetic ATF and paper blocker rings. Lots of claims concerning damage etc. Even some who say it's OK to use Amsoil synthetic, but not others. I have yet to see even one post from someone with substantiated evidence to these claims. Someone please tell us all that your 2000 MN6 was damaged by Mobile 1 ATF. I've had it in my 2000 for 47K miles now and working superbly. I'll let y'all know if my MN6 breaks up.
I share your sentiments. No offense, but I've always been leary of the Amsoil crowd. Reminds me of the Harley Davidson oil controversy and using synthetic motor oils - Harley now sells synthetics after years of rumors that synthetics cause bearing skate.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Here is my input.. it says right on the trans case to use Dex III ...when we built this platform it was built with longevity and reliability in mind.. the LSX motor and drive train was designed to go 200,000 miles. When we tested these drive trains they were relable using Dex III. I retired in 2000 so I dont know about later C5 models but IM changing my trans fluid tomorrow and IM putting Dex III in it... Im only changing it because Im putting in a new clutch, slave and master. So while Ive got it out Im changing it at 81,000 miles....
Old 11-27-2011, 08:36 PM
ronssito
Melting Slicks

Posted 10-14-11

PLEASE READ-Update On Posting In Threads Over 45 Days Old

Over the last couple of months, we've had numerous members reviving threads over 45 days old, which is against forum rules. I've PM'ed one of the forum Administrators to see if threads revived that have technical value and aren't the "pot stirring" type (which the rule was initially put in place to prevent) can be posted. Threads that are over 45 days old that are revived will be evaluated for validity. If it's beneficial to the forum and it's members, It won't be locked. If it's a "trolling" or a "pot strirring" revivial, expect infractions. Hopefully this clarifies the rule and eliminates the confusion.

Hopefully my post does not violate the reminder thread quoted above.

I wanted to mention that I had my transmission fluid on the MN6 changed today with the stock Dexron III and wow !!!

A big difference in effort and feel with the short shifter on the >12 year old Hardtop (built 6/99).

Been wanting to do it for the 2 years I've had the car ... glad I finally did.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:14 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Recognizing that this is a two year old thread, but also noting that there are several recommendations for AMSOIL above, I'd like to offer the current AMSOIL recommendation (and what I've been using for several seasons now) for the Tremec tranny in the Vette (including paper blocker rings):
AMSOIL Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid (Product Code ATD1G)

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Get notified of new replies

To 2000 MN6 Transmission Fluid

Quick Reply: 2000 MN6 Transmission Fluid