C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WARNING Z06 axle shaft from O'Reilly Auto Parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 06:46 AM
Hazman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING Z06 axle shaft from O'Reilly Auto Parts

Just wanted to pass along my experience/nightmare with replacement axle shafts from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

It all begins with me doing something stupid and damaging a boot on the stock right rear axle shaft. Called around and O'Reilly has a remanufactured one in stock so I go pick it up and install it.

Haul the car to Barber and the second session of the weekend the outer boot starts throwing grease. So I get the car home and remove the offending axle shaft. Cleaned it up and could not find where the grease is coming from. I took it back to O'Reilly and they replaced it under warranty. Install the second O'Reilly axle shaft. Checked clearance and made sure nothing was hitting the boot.

Haul the car to NJMP and the second session of the weekend the outer boot starts throwing grease. So I get the car home and remove the offending axle shaft. Cleaned it up and found a 1/4 inch split in the boot where the grease is coming from. I took it back to O'Reilly and they replaced it under warranty. Install the third O'Reilly axle shaft. Checked clearance and made sure nothing was hitting the boot.

Haul the car to VIR the second session of the weekend my wife nearly kisses the wall in turn three. Looking at the video starting in turn two anytime she tries to turn left the car just starts to rotate. She does a good job finally of looping it and coming to a stop in the grass. When she comes in and we look under the car the inner band clamp on the inner boot on the O'Reilly axle shaft has slipped off. The flopping boot has collected the right side brake line and wiring harness and wrapped them around the axle shaft!

OK so now I am really going nuts with this. I have checked all the clearances, diff mount, hub, everything I could think of. I also had some others more knowledgeable in Corvettes look it over and we are all stumped. So I but a GM axle shaft from a Z06 being parted out by a friend. I installed it and have now had two great track weekends in a row with no axle shaft issues.

Comparing the boots on the O'Reilly axle shaft with the GM the difference in the stiffness of the rubber is amazing. The O'Reilly boot you can easily squeeze it from both sides all the way into the shaft. The GM boot you cannot do this too. Also the GM boot has a distinct V shape to the folds where the O'Reilly has more of a U shape.

I did talk the third shaft back to O'Reilly and showed them a GM shaft also. They gave me a full refund and apologized. The store manager wrote a report up and sent it in with the third shaft. Maybe they will change vendors or get a better boot on their replacements. I will never know because it is only GM for me now on these!
Old 11-29-2009, 09:16 AM
BLOWNZO6
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad you finally got this sorted out.

I have the two that I think I mentioned when you were picking up the trans from Advanced that I will compare to the stock ones from my car.

Hope all is going well.. not a lot of progress on my car...

Talk to you later.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:47 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn, that's alot of wasted towing and $ for track time.

FYI - you can buy a GM replacement boot (been there)
Old 11-29-2009, 04:09 PM
pikerunner
Instructor

Always be cautious of the parts you get from a "retailer" such as Advance, AutoZone, O'Reilly's. There sales are generally based upon the cheapest price, thus you get what you pay for.

My best luck has been the local CARQUEST store. They sell more to installers and repair shops, thus higher quality parts. Note, they are also have a cheaper line to compete with the retailers, just ask for the "blue" or "gold" premium lines used for their wholesale business.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Hazman
Racer

Originally Posted by BLOWNZO6
Glad you finally got this sorted out.

I have the two that I think I mentioned when you were picking up the trans from Advanced that I will compare to the stock ones from my car.

Hope all is going well.. not a lot of progress on my car...

Talk to you later.
You have got to get that car back together!

Take a close look at the boots. You will notice how stiff the stock ones are and how angular the folds are. If the aftermarket ones are softer and have a more curved fold in the boot I would return them ASAP! Do not install!

The trans feels great!! Remember my question about the fitting for the remote bleeder and wanting a tapered like the original. I called RPM a couple of more times and they said they were going 100% to the tapered fitting to cut down on leaks. They also said they had mailed me one. Well I gave up waiting and finally put the car back together and followed your advice...so far no leaks!! Oh and of course the new fitting in it's ripped envelope arrived the next day!

Any way thanks for all your help!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:57 AM
BLOWNZO6
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazman

Take a close look at the boots. You will notice how stiff the stock ones are and how angular the folds are. If the aftermarket ones are softer and have a more curved fold in the boot I would return them ASAP! Do not install!

The trans feels great!! Remember my question about the fitting for the remote bleeder and wanting a tapered like the original. I called RPM a couple of more times and they said they were going 100% to the tapered fitting to cut down on leaks. They also said they had mailed me one. Well I gave up waiting and finally put the car back together and followed your advice...so far no leaks!! Oh and of course the new fitting in it's ripped envelope arrived the next day!

I have been working on it... I am ready for it to run.

Glad it worked out for you and if you need anything, let me know.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:56 AM
83Camaro
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stick with geniune gm!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Hazman

What did you do exactly to get the NON TAPERED fitting to not leak?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Bill
Old 12-02-2009, 12:14 PM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

There are more than a few parts on these cars that are best purchased as OEM's Funny thing is many times they're less expensive than the no-name replacement parts.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Hazman
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
What did you do exactly to get the NON TAPERED fitting to not leak?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Bill
I used thread sealer on it and really tightened down on the crush washer. Two weekends at the track so far and no issues. I would prefer to have the tapered fitting which you can now get from RPM!

Get notified of new replies

To WARNING Z06 axle shaft from O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply: WARNING Z06 axle shaft from O'Reilly Auto Parts