C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MILITARY MEMBER STATION OVERSEES NEEDS HELP seems like the fuel is being cutoff.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:11 PM
darkriderzx10
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MILITARY MEMBER STATION OVERSEES NEEDS HELP seems like the fuel is being cutoff.

Hello members, Im in the military stationed oversees and i need your help. No GM dealer so im on my own. My 1998 C5 automatic has the famous problem PULL KEY WAIT 10 SEC. Then the service column lock pops up. So what did I do order the CLB from corvettes of houston and installed it. I still get the code and the sterring does not lock but when i put the car in drive and move about 1-3 feet the vette cuts off. The column lock recall was done years before i purchased the car by the previous owner. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:44 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 112 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by darkriderzx10
Hello members, Im in the military stationed oversees and i need your help. No GM dealer so im on my own. My 1998 C5 automatic has the famous problem PULL KEY WAIT 10 SEC. Then the service column lock pops up. So what did I do order the CLB from corvettes of houston and installed it. I still get the code and the sterring does not lock but when i put the car in drive and move about 1-3 feet the vette cuts off. The column lock recall was done years before i purchased the car by the previous owner. Any help will be appreciated.
What is the status of the security light? Flashing, then goes out, or on solid?
Old 12-09-2009, 12:54 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 112 Likes on 101 Posts

Also, did you go back into the DIC after the CLB install, and manually reset all the codes?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ky-please.html
Old 12-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

You said the recall was done, was it the K Harness? If so did you remove the harness when you installed the CLB?
Old 12-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,188 Likes on 1,587 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Your Column Lock Motor and the feed back switches need to work correctly before you install the CLB can get back to normal.

Try this:

Make SURE that you battery is FULLY CHARGED and in good condition. If in doubt,,have it tested ! Make sure that you have 12.2+ VDC at the battery terminals with the Key ON engine OFF.

Examine the battery digital volt meter and the IPC Analog volt meter with key on engine OFF and see what the voltage is compared to battery terminal voltage.Hopefully there the same of very close to each other.

BCM and CL Motor voltage is critical and if it is incorrect or very low, can effect CL operation.

Pull up and read the DTCs. Write them down. Then CLEAR all the DTCs.

Attempt to start the car again. Pay attention when you turn the key to ON and listen for the CL Motor. It should still retract. It may not lock and unlock the wheel any more cause the plate is removed. It still needs to work properly.

See if you still get the messages and fuel cut off. If not,,,,,INSTALL THAT CLB.

Hopefully the above stuff will get you back on your feet.

If not, Please report the security light status like Lucky recommended.

Bill
FTCS SS Retired USN

Thank you for serving!
Old 12-09-2009, 04:02 PM
darkriderzx10
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lucky131969
What is the status of the security light? Flashing, then goes out, or on solid?
Flashing on security light operates as normal. It goes out. And all codes were reset its not kicking out any codes once i put the reader on there i get no codes Also Im getting no power to the column lock motor when the key is in the off positon but when the key is on i get power.

the CLB is installed an yes the car still has the K-harness but would that really be the reason that the car shuts off. Does the K harness need to come off. The CLB i got i ordered from corvettes of houston. If there is another link for clb install with pictures so i can ensure there were no mistakes could you provide it. But im just confused about why the car is shutting off. ALL RECALL WORK WAS COMPLETED ON THE VETTE. The wheel turns even with the column lock display. Any ideas (Theft deterrent fuel enable circuit) maybe...
Old 12-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Yes, the K Harness has to come off.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:23 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by darkriderzx10
Flashing on But im just confused about why the car is shutting off. ALL RECALL WORK WAS COMPLETED ON THE VETTE. The wheel turns even with the column lock display. Any ideas (Theft deterrent fuel enable circuit) maybe...
The car shutting off is due to the locked column problem. Part of the recall when GM removed the locking plate was to program the pcm to shut fuel off at 2-3 mph if you have the locked column message. You can have this changed to 200 mph with tuning software such as HP tuners or EFI live so you can at least drive the car. You will still get the locked column message. B\G
Old 12-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Well STATED!

darkriderzx10

If I read your last reply correctly,,,you stated "once i put the READER on I get no codes"

Read the DTCs with the built in Code reading capability. Not all Code readers will read all DTCs. Especially Body or BCM DTCs.

BC
Old 12-14-2009, 06:01 AM
darkriderzx10
Intermediate

Thanks for the help had to delete the codes with the DTC not the reader. Works like a champ even drove the car for about and hour 1/2 straight.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:41 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

i had the GM recall done and about three years later, my column locked.

i just plugged in the COH bypass and it worked fine
Old 12-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for serving Ship Mate!!!!

Very glad that you have your car back on the road!!

Get notified of new replies

To MILITARY MEMBER STATION OVERSEES NEEDS HELP seems like the fuel is being cutoff.

Quick Reply: MILITARY MEMBER STATION OVERSEES NEEDS HELP seems like the fuel is being cutoff.