C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise from rear..

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 11:27 AM
stas
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise from rear..

Hi guys and gals, my car ('01 Z06) recently developed a kind of grinding noise from the rear end. It sounds a little like braking with a warped rotor (on, off, on, off).. The noise occurs when I'm making sharp turns at slow speeds. Is there a way to check if something is wrong with the limited slip? I have changed my rear end fluid to AMSOIL Severe gear fluid this year which already has friction modifier in it. I'm ruling out the fluid because there was no noise right after I changed it, even after track sessions. Any suggestions as to what else it can be?

Thanks in advance, Stas.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by stas
Hi guys and gals, my car ('01 Z06) recently developed a kind of grinding noise from the rear end. It sounds a little like braking with a warped rotor (on, off, on, off).. The noise occurs when I'm making sharp turns at slow speeds. Is there a way to check if something is wrong with the limited slip? I have changed my rear end fluid to AMSOIL Severe gear fluid this year which already has friction modifier in it. I'm ruling out the fluid because there was no noise right after I changed it, even after track sessions. Any suggestions as to what else it can be?

Thanks in advance, Stas.
But did you buy and add "Slip Lock Differential Additive" which is sold separately ?
Old 12-10-2009, 02:21 PM
stas
Advanced

Default Re.

Hi, I read in another post that none is required on the C5.. see below.

"The AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w90 comes with friction modifier already in it and extra is not normally needed in C5s to prevent diff chatter. I use this fluid without extra additive in both my 02 C5 Z06 track car and in my 06 Cadillac CTS-V and neither diff chatters. "

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
But did you buy and add "Slip Lock Differential Additive" which is sold separately ?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Hi, I read in another post that none is required on the C5.. see below.

"The AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w90 comes with friction modifier already in it and extra is not normally needed in C5s to prevent diff chatter. I use this fluid without extra additive in both my 02 C5 Z06 track car and in my 06 Cadillac CTS-V and neither diff chatters. "
The key phrase there is "not mormally".... In speaking with AMSOIL and being a dealer, I can tell you that you DO need the additive.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Point & Shoot
Racer

Thanks in advance, Stas.

First check your fluid level. If that's OK, then I recommend changing the fluid to the new GM formula which already has the friction modifier and see if that helps.

I always start with the easy, simple stuff and work from there. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

When I changed my diff fluid I was told that no matter what gear oil I choose, I should still add the GM additive. That is exactly what I did and no noise whatsoever.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:44 AM
stas
Advanced

Default ok

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll give that a shot when I change the fluid for spring (car not being driven now). The thing that I find surprising is that the noise did not start right after the fluid change. Should the noise go right away if it is indeed the lack of limited slip additive?

Stas.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll give that a shot when I change the fluid for spring (car not being driven now). The thing that I find surprising is that the noise did not start right after the fluid change. Should the noise go right away if it is indeed the lack of limited slip additive?
Stas.
YES.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Carlos Arredondo
Instructor

Stas.
the same thing is happening to me. Had oil changed, no noise. 1000 miles later, noise at low spesd sharp turns. Added another bottel of additive, noise gone. 500 miles miles later, noise came back
Old 12-13-2009, 02:58 AM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
The key phrase there is "not mormally".... In speaking with AMSOIL and being a dealer, I can tell you that you DO need the additive.
...I swapped to Amsoil severe 3 years ago without additive..no issues...was advised by Amsoil rep to add it only if there was noise on turns.

still quiet wit 4.10s guess some diffs are different then others

Last edited by Ikester; 12-13-2009 at 03:01 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Grinding noise from rear..

Quick Reply: Grinding noise from rear..