C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VATS-Doing something wrong

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Y-Fear
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VATS-Doing something wrong

I have an 2003, the little tab in the key cylinder broke off that reads the resistance from the key (you know the rest of the story).

I had the key read and purchased a combination of resistors to match, and tried to hard wire it into the blue and white wire as described. (#2 523 ohms) (Tried electrical tape and a buss type of connector to connect resistors-nothing)

Also saw one post claiming that if I remove the cylinder I could use a screw driver to start the car. Is this true, if so how do I remove the cylinder.

I found out about a prefab VATS bypass, is that the best way to go. Or should I replace/repair the old cylinder.

I have been searching, and thought I had this beat. Apparently I am not doing something right, or missing info.

Thanks,
Old 12-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

I have a 2003 Z06...the car only came with one key and I wanted another. I took my key to a Chevy dealership and had them measure the resistance value. I then used that to order a blank key off the internet. I took that key back to Chevy and they cut it for free. Total bill for a brand new key: about $20.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Y-Fear
7th Gear

I don't have any issues with the keys, just getting around the VATS or replacing cylinder. Car is at a friends, wanted to get it started and home to the garage.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to cut my pre fab connector off since they had the female instead of male end on it (or vise versa). Cut off the one from the harness side and twisted them together and soldered.
If you have the correct wires and resistance it should work just fine.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Y-Fear
7th Gear

Thanks guys-I think I may be placing the resistors on the side after the pcm close to the connector coming off the cylinder.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Evilash
Pro

Did it on a 2001 but yours should be similar.
Black wires, two, from key cylinder. These are what is jumpered by the keys pill.
They go into a flat connector that connects to two colored wires and kind of stuck to the side of a big connector block thing.
You could unplug here, cut the black wires in half and then soldered your resistors at the workbench from one wire to the other. Then just plug it back it. Just like the key pill is always connected.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Y-Fear
7th Gear

Thanks, I will do that tomorrow morning.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Evilash
Pro

No problem good luck with it.

I was confused when I shelled out $40 or whatever it was for the module and it plugged right into the black wire side and the car wouldn't work.
I should have just gone to radio shack since I had to whack the car and the module.

Dumb me though I should have whacked the black wire side and not the vehicle side of the connector. At least then I could have plugged in a new ignition cylinder if I wanted to.

Get notified of new replies

To VATS-Doing something wrong

Quick Reply: VATS-Doing something wrong