C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light = no code

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:32 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Check engine light = no code

Hey guys got a check engine light last weekend just after We got through with a parade,checked for codes on the DIC this morning and there were only two with history,I cleared them and ran the codes again and still nothing current,Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 12-12-2009, 11:42 AM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Stuff happens. If there's nothing current, it's probably not significant.

Did you just fill up the fuel tank that day and maybe not ratchet it closed tight enough? That one catches a lot of people.

Did you forget to clear the oil life monitor with the last oil/filter change? That one happened to me...once.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:42 AM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Soooo, what were the codes?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:08 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by byronhunter
Soooo, what were the codes?
They were history,nothing current.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Todd157k
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had that a couple times with my old coupe. Never did figure anything out. Cleared it and it was fine for a looooong time. The second time it happened, I couldn't remember what I was doing the first time so I have no idea what I was doing to cause it.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:56 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bucwheat
They were history,nothing current.
Even if they were history, that's what caused the check engine light to come on. Any time the CE light comes on, there is a code stored.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:59 AM
ppcgm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same deal ... CE is on, no current codes, cleared all the History and CE is still on ... take it to mechanic or try something else ?
Old 09-21-2015, 10:29 AM
flyingillini
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought all codes went H after shutting off car.... until next time diagnostic test repeats ? I am sure the codes you deleted showed the problem.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:56 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Flyingillini is 100% correct..

Almost ALL codes will show as H with the key ON and engine OFF.

That is because the systems that sense and generate most codes run with the engine ON. When the engine is turned OFF then the codes get changed from C to H.

Grasshopper has much to learn. We all did at some point in the past. We just need to learn less now.

Mr. Sam
Old 09-21-2015, 12:39 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Check engine light = no code

Originally Posted by byronhunter
Any time the CE light comes on, there is a code stored.
I have to disagree. You can get a blinking CE due to misfires and get no codes whatsoever. It all depends on how bad the misfire count was. I know cause it happened to me and I had a hell of a time chasing down the issue.
Turned out I needed a CKP relearn due to replacement of my CKP sensor. Relearn solved my problem.

Last edited by Cybermind; 09-21-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:51 PM
ppcgm
Intermediate

It had 17 codes in "H" status. Cleared them all out. And based on previous experience with Volvos I will take the gas cap (which seems flaky and never really tightens) off and put it back on before starting the car and see which ones come back.

The codes I didn't find in the list were B2809 under 40-BCM, B1527 under 60-IPC, U1160H under 99-HVAC, and U1064 under A1-RDCM.

Great to find so many knowledgeable and helpful people here. Thanks to everyone for chiming in so far.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:18 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I don't see a B2809 in my list of codes but
B1527 DIC Switch 4 Signal Short to GND “OPTIONS BUTTON”
Clear them all and see what comes back
Old 09-22-2015, 09:16 AM
ppcgm
Intermediate

reset them all yesterday morning, seated the gas cap as best I could but it still feels loose so I'll look for a replacement ... nothing has come back yet, thankfully ... my commute is about 75 miles round trip, so it's had plenty of time to pop back up if there was a real problem ... the first couple of times I tried to pull codes nothing at all happened, so I suspect the button fault is for real and I may get to replace some of the electronics at some point ... I'd tried to pull them when I test drove the car in mid June and the buttons didn't work as expected, I bought the car anyway ... now that I've replaced the cheapo tires with Michelin A/S ZP's, got the dark window tint off, radiator overflow bottle replaced where the skinflint had tried to patch a leak with epoxy, clay barred it and got three coats of non cleaner wax on it, cleaned the leather as much as I dare and all the fluids replaced, it's starting to feel like it's actually mine and I can relax and drive it ... I'd started out looking for a C4 with both tops but since I was going to pay as much as for a C5 I bought the 2004 instead and it is a fun car, but still an 11 yr old fun car, so I'm OK with learning to maintain it ... thanks again to everyone who responded !

Last edited by ppcgm; 09-22-2015 at 09:39 AM. Reason: added miles driven since reset
Old 09-23-2015, 10:13 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

I have had a couple of GM replacement gas caps that did not like to sealup and found that if I tried pulling up lightly as I turned them they would seal just fine. Worth a try before spending $15 on a replacement that does the same thing.......
________
You might also try a light coating of dielectric grease on the rubber gasket to help it seal better.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:33 AM
ppcgm
Intermediate

I have had a couple of GM replacement gas caps that did not like to sealup and found that if I tried pulling up lightly as I turned them they would seal just fine. Worth a try before spending $15 on a replacement that does the same thing.......
So far so good. I would never have thought of pulling up on the thing to get it to lock in place. But over a hundred miles and no lights or error codes. One would think the aftermarket would see a need there and fill it, literally. Thanks !
Old 09-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Cybermind
I have to disagree. You can get a blinking CE due to misfires and get no codes whatsoever. It all depends on how bad the misfire count was. I know cause it happened to me and I had a hell of a time chasing down the issue.
Turned out I needed a CKP relearn due to replacement of my CKP sensor. Relearn solved my problem.
Cybermind. When you get a blinking CEL, IF you read the DTCs BEFORE YOU TURN THE IGNITION OFF,,,, It will show you a P-0300 DTC if you truly had the correct amount of misfires detected.

Once you turn the ignition switch off,, that data goes away. Same with the EBTCM. Some of the DTCs that cause you to see messages in the DIC and DTC, will go away after each ignition OFF/ON cycle. They will come back once the EBTCM is powered ON goes through its test and looks for errors in the current ignition ON Cycle..

Get notified of new replies

To Check engine light = no code

Quick Reply: Check engine light = no code