C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A good combination !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 07:08 PM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default PLEASE !! A good (H/C)combination !!

Hello, I'm looking for some feedback/opinions on good proven combinations for an LS6(H/C). Its in a 04 ZO6, if it matters. Looking to have a decent weekend warrior, I'll be going to the drag strip a little. But mainly just a very strong street warrior to whip some ford a**.
I'm willing to change the gearing and the clutch for maximum performance. The kicker is, I'd like to reuse my 243 heads to save a little $$. But I'm willing to get them CNC'ed. Its a 20,000 mile car, relatively low miles. Looking for some dyno #'s or track times or just good street slayer combo's. Probably need to keep the short block stock to save money.
OK, let those combo's fly. I'm looking to get started soon. O, by the way, this car is bone stock. Not even a CAI. You can be as technical as you need, I've built a lot of rods, its just my first vette. This needs to be a N/A combo, heres an idea of what I'm looking at :CNCed heads, cam, springs, pushrods, CAI, exhaust, intake, TB.
Thanks

Last edited by LSOHOLIC; 12-15-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:38 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

My honest answer is to spend $3500 on a nice blower kit (used, but complete) in the sale section. You won't even need headers at first. Very good $$/hp ratio.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:52 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by LSOHOLIC
This needs to be a N/A combo, heres an idea of what I'm looking at :CNCed heads, cam, springs, pushrods, CAI, exhaust, intake, TB.
Thanks
Since you insist on a N/A combo, I believe Patriot and PRC heads are the best bang for the buck. You will get 85% out of them compared to AFR's, TFS or some other name brand but pay double for that additional 15%. At least put good springs in the heads. Your cam selection will be determined by your driveability preferences. If you want a killer on the track and street and don't mind a lopey idle with some low RPM volumetric efficiency sacrifices then you will choose one cam. Also, your emissions laws may help dictate your cam choice as well. A good set of headers such as Dynatech, Kooks, LG etc, a good CAI, good tune etc. Don't be afraid to visit the parts section and get some good deals. I just sold a set of stage3 Patriot heads that were completely refurbed by Patriot for 900.00. Cams can be reused too. LS1 tech/parts is also a great source for some good deals.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:05 PM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

Yeah, I posted a similar question like this a couple weeks ago and received alot of replys saying go FI.

To be honest, my intentions are to go cam, 243's(CNC), headers, X-pipe w/out cats, Fast manifold, TB, McLeod RXT and gears. With the current LS6 setup, and hopeing some of the parts work with the future turbo setup.

Because I'm building a 408 with a PT-88, I'm about 6 months from being done.

So really just looking for a great N/A setup. Basically pushing the limits of drivability. When the turbo setup is finished and dialed in I'll put the 346 on the stand.

Thanks again for the info
Old 12-13-2009, 09:06 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I'm willing to change the gearing and the clutch for maximum performance. The kicker is, I'd like to reuse my 243 heads to save a little $$.
You're willing spend the money on rebuilding your rear end, but not on a good set of aftermarket heads? I think you may want to reevaluate that statement.

As already stated, pick up a good used S/C kit and some LT headers, and then start working on your traction problems with that set up.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Only 6 months? Spray it.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:23 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
Only 6 months? Spray it.

If it's less than a year I'd leave it alone most likely. Extra $ that a turbo set-up is sure to absorb (continually).
Old 12-13-2009, 09:51 PM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

You're willing spend the money on rebuilding your rear end, but not on a good set of aftermarket heads? I think you may want to reevaluate that statement

Yes, thats correct. With the new turbo motor the rear will need to be A+. I have a nice set of CNC'ed heads going on the 408 but there big bore heads, not to mention large cc. So I can't use those. So no, I don't want to buy heads. I'm willing to get mine CNC'ed and do the best I can with that.

Last edited by LSOHOLIC; 12-13-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:53 PM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

And yes, I'm gunna spray 150. A wet plate kit, its also something I can use to get the boost up quick on the new motor.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:56 PM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

Thats was kind of confusing, I'm gunna spray the 346 and when the turboed 408 goes in it with utilize the same kit just a smaller shot. For an anti-lag device.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:00 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

You're willing spend the money on rebuilding your rear end, but not on a good set of aftermarket heads? I think you may want to reevaluate that statement

Yes, thats correct. With the new turbo motor the rear will need to be A+. I have a nice set of CNC'ed heads going on the 408 but there big bore heads, not to mention large cc. So I can use those. So no, I don't want to buy heads. I'm willing to get mine CNC'ed and do the best I can with that.
Posted that before I saw your post on your long term goals...makes more sense now...
Old 12-13-2009, 10:11 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

You're doing a PT-88 on this 04-Z06? I've yet to see someone do that, so please do us a favor and do a build thread on it. Are you doing your own kit, a modified Hinson kit or what?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:35 PM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

yeah, the kit is going one of two ways. Reverse manifold or a reversed shorty set. Either way they will be wrapped so you will never no. Manifolds are good for about 800hp after that headers really pick it up, (I'm speaking about turboing). I'm a huge fan of function over fashion unless you can afford both. When I'm running big HP not to many people are going to see under the hood.

I've done two similar turbo setups on 4th gen F-bodys with great results. The engine bays seem suprisingly similar in size, so I'm hopeing for a similar install.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:06 PM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

Come on, are there no good combos that you are willing to spill the beans on ?? You guys know how these engine projects go, it could be next winter before I get all the details worked out on the turbo combination.
So I'm looking to get the LS6 thumpin !! I'm open to suggestions, aside from my heads. Hook me up with some proven combos. Some proven track times or kill stories. Cam info in correlation to gear selection that stuff.
Thanks
Old 12-15-2009, 07:39 PM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

Damn, whats it take to here about some well put together combos? With proven track times and or Dyno #'s.

Please people, I need some cam recomendations with gearing and clutch setup's. Basically a great all around N/A package. Please no FI comments!!
Old 12-15-2009, 07:54 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 88 Likes on 81 Posts

Damn, whats it take to here about some well put together combos? With proven track times and or Dyno #'s.

Please people, I need some cam recomendations with gearing and clutch setup's. Basically a great all around N/A package. Please no FI comments!!
What is keeping you from doing your own homework here? There are many shops that are more than willing to help you obtain your goals. Why not call the experts that do it everyday for a living?

Here's just a few ideas:

A&A corvette
ECS
RPM
LGM
England Green
Old 12-15-2009, 09:17 PM
LSOHOLIC
Melting Slicks

Yes, you are right. Thats why I've done that. I've talked to Livernois, TSP, SDPC, Mast, TEP, LG, Corvettes of Dallas, etc... I could go on but you get the picture.
Thats why I'm on here, to see what work in everyday setting. Like I said, I'm looking for track times, kill stories and dyno results. The vendors do make and sell great parts and products but thats their goal, to sell you parts or products. I'm just looking for an unbiased opinion on combos that work.
I mean really, how many of you bought all you parts from one vendor. I'm just wanting combos that people have had success with, with creative monetary ideas.
I know some of the more reputable vendors do there homework, I'm looking for those statements to basically be verified by the forum members.
I hope thats makes some sense.
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To A good combination !!

Old 12-15-2009, 09:55 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 88 Likes on 81 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/perf...e-results-108/
Old 12-16-2009, 05:39 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

PM sent.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Corvettes of Dallas
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm looking for some feedback/opinions on good proven combinations for an LS6(H/C). Its in a 04 ZO6, if it matters. Looking to have a decent weekend warrior, I'll be going to the drag strip a little. But mainly just a very strong street warrior to whip some ford a**.
I'm willing to change the gearing and the clutch for maximum performance. The kicker is, I'd like to reuse my 243 heads to save a little $$. But I'm willing to get them CNC'ed. Its a 20,000 mile car, relatively low miles. Looking for some dyno #'s or track times or just good street slayer combo's. Probably need to keep the short block stock to save money.
OK, let those combo's fly. I'm looking to get started soon. O, by the way, this car is bone stock. Not even a CAI. You can be as technical as you need, I've built a lot of rods, its just my first vette. This needs to be a N/A combo, heres an idea of what I'm looking at :CNCed heads, cam, springs, pushrods, CAI, exhaust, intake, TB.
Thanks
I am not sure where you are located -- but I invite you to either stop by or call me at Corvettes of Dallas. I would like to introduce you to our Performance Tech to discuss your wants and needs. HE is very well qualified to answer any questions. Our pleasure to help CF members.
Todd

Quick Reply: A good combination !!