C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** Im trying to hook up my iPod ***

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 04:39 PM
DMatrix369
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ** Im trying to hook up my iPod ***

I have a 2002 C5 Z06 without a 6 disc changer. Im looking to install an iPod connection through my factory radio. One of my friends suggested I go through Peripheral Electronics. I know mechanics, not electronics. Somebody help me out. How do I go about getting this stuff. Is installation easy? Are there any quirks I should be aware of or snags I may run into???

Someone had mentioned something about the Aux Port in the back of my radio being dead or powerless because I dont have a 6 Disc changer but when I called a local dealer they didnt know what the heck I was talking about.

Help Me Out CF!!

Thanks
Old 12-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Dudeiwin86
Advanced

im no expert, but i did do some reading.

it works, but some people are having issues with it draining their battery even when its not charging the Ipod and the car is turned off.

there is also an issue where you cannot skip ahead more than 6 to 9 songs via the dash controls (i think?) and must manually pull out your ipod and select a new song.

i was very interested in the same thing (for if/when i buy a C5 soon) and came to the conclusion that you would be best off (should money allow it) to purchase an aftermarket modified Dash Bezel for a Double Din head unit, and get an aftermarket head unit that will support Ipod and GPS (or at least this is my thinking).
Old 12-17-2009, 06:28 PM
D2Brewing
Instructor

Search "iPod" and "D2Brewing" and you'll see my solution. Most of the details are in the description, but you can email me if you have other questions...
Old 12-23-2009, 08:49 AM
woodvette03
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i put in a new alpine ipod controller head unit in my '03 and love it. there was a special harness i had to get which was hard to find.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:18 AM
BTrey
Advanced

Default Audio Forum

There's tons of info about this under the General Corvette/Audio-Electronics forum.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:55 PM
msgvert
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Peripheral Electronics product worked well for me. I referred to Vette Essentials for the console/bezel removal. I ran the cable to the ashtray and use it for storage. The job went so quickly I thought maybe I was missing something. As for functions, I seldom jump around selections so not sure if the Bose control is limited or not. The sound quality will not match a CD due to Ipod file compression but it sure is convienent.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:09 PM
GM Fan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't recall the exact model, but I used the one from Peripheral that gives you a generic cable to plug into any MP3 player (think it was Aux2car or PXDX2 or something like that) since I had a Zune. Got it w/ the correct cabling/adapter for the C5 radio, plugged right into the back of the CD player on my 02 Z (also w/ no changer). Works perfectly.

This particular model doesn't charge the player though, and I have to control it directly on the Zune, but it was pretty cheap. Pretty sure I got the whole kit w/ the C5 adapter and everything on ebay for like $80. Mounted the control box itself beneath the radio/behind the ashtray area, and ran the cable back to the center console. I have plenty of extra length there to take the Zune out of the console and set it up in the cupholder or the passenger can grab it and browse songs, etc. I love it, have 30 gigs of my favorite music right at hand. Haven't used the radio or CD player in the last 6 months since I got it.

Last edited by GM Fan; 12-23-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ** Im trying to hook up my iPod ***

Quick Reply: ** Im trying to hook up my iPod ***