C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent Rod Ls-1

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Rconce01
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Oh. Hard to believe, as worn as that lifter was, that the cam emerged unscathed. Well....good luck

thanks man!

Hey i really think that cam is a lot tougher than that roller. I turned the engine slowly and felt the lobe and looked at it. Other than the surface finish there was no damage.

Time will tell, I'm an honest guy and i really value everyone's honest opinion. If it fails again i'll let ya know.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:51 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rconce01
Actually, I didn't. The cam lobe was getting the same amount of lift on that lifter. The surface of the cam was not polished but it wasn't pitted or irregular. I got my finger in there and felt it. I replaced all the lifters on the passenger side and torqued the head down and reassembled it.

If the same thing happens again i'll swap that engine out for another one i have. I hate dealing with with these valve train issues.

The amount of time/ money it would have taken to swap the cam and both heads is something this engine isn't worth.

Its at 160k
Make sure you change your oil and filter and do it again after five hundred miles. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's been my experience when an engine has moved metal , like yours, that the moved metal goes right to the main and rod bearings. You will indeed be fortunate if you don't have a catastrophic failure. Good luck!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Rconce01
Pro

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Oh. Hard to believe, as worn as that lifter was, that the cam emerged unscathed. Well....good luck

thanks man!

Hey i really think that cam is a lot tougher than that roller. I turned the engine slowly and felt the lobe and looked at it. Other than the surface finish there was no damage.

Time will tell, I'm an honest guy and i really value everyone's honest opinion. If it fails again i'll let ya know.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Given the amount of miles already on the engine; I think you did the right thing in just fixing what was known to be bad. Like you said, if it fails again, it would be cheaper just to swap it out with a lower mileage engine especially since you have another spare laying around for little to no expense.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man if I could do all this work myself I'd do exactly what your doing given you have spare parts/engine, and I'm confidend that your motor will be good for many more miles, If not eh! you tried ...the best of luck to you, enjoy
Old 02-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Rconce01
Pro

Originally Posted by Z06ufgrad2002
Given the amount of miles already on the engine; I think you did the right thing in just fixing what was known to be bad. Like you said, if it fails again, it would be cheaper just to swap it out with a lower mileage engine especially since you have another spare laying around for little to no expense.

I'm sure i'll hang for while longer, who knows maybe the economy will pick up and everything starts shaping up better in the future.

Quick Reply: Bent Rod Ls-1