C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Universal line lock.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:27 PM
chrisbenoit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Universal line lock.

Hi, I have a line lock kit here off my old truck. It's just a universal B&M kit. Will this work on a C5. I have a 99 FRC. Do I need a vette specific kit. My truck doesn't have ABS so it worked fine on that, will a universal or generic B&M or HURST line lock kit work, or do I need some type of proportioning block as well. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

You don't need a proportioning block. What you do need is the right fittings, adapters, and tools to bend and flare your own lines. Depending on the year of the car, you're going to either use a M12x1.0 at both ends (being the ends of the lines where they reattach to the car) or a M12x1.0 and an M11x1.5 fitting. These would be a bubble flare for these ends of the lines.

Use 1/4" brake line. It's easy to find and close to the stock size.

I'm not exactly sure but if I was a betting man I'd say that the input and output fitting sizes on teh solenoid would be a 1/8 NPT....so you'd need a 1/8 NPT male to 1/4" tube inverted flare female adapter. Then you'd need a couple of 1/4" inverted flare tube nuts to attach the lines to the adapters, and to do inverted flares on these ends obviously.

Of course, tubing benders are necessary.

No proportioning valve or anything needed. The line lock solenoid simply gets mounted in the middle of the master cylinder feed line to the front brakes (rear line on master cylinder that goes to the BPMV) or in the line for the front brakes coming out of the COmbination valve, dependent on year.

If you need any more info let me know. I'll be glad to help. This is a great DIY project.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:48 AM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Listen to Fastbird! He used to sell the Line Lock kits, and I have one. It was very easy to install, and it works great!

Get notified of new replies

To Universal line lock.

Quick Reply: Universal line lock.