C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-23-2015, 06:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Brake Pedal Goes to Floor - later, it's OK

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 01:07 PM
K4GPB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pedal Goes to Floor - later, it's OK

Background:

My 60K mile C5 recently had brake service done. Goop was put on the back of all the pads to reduce the initial bake pedal apply squeal. Worked fine. No other prior problems in past year with brakes.

Drove fine for 40-50 miles.

Parked overnight in garage. Coolant temp showed 46 degrees at start-up this AM. Put it in reverse and brake pedal goes to floor when backing out driveway. Makes air whooshing sound each time pedal is depressed. No leaks in car or on garage floor. After about 5 pedal depressions while in park and E brake on, I turn off car and let it sit. Felt none of the usual pressure in pedal, except for hearing the air sound.

Let it sit in the sun for about 90 min. and started it up and brake pedal & brakes now work perfect. Pedal pressure very firm with engine off. Fluid at proper level.

I'm sure the pistons in each caliper were pushed in to get the pads out and I just wonder if somehow all that messed up the (particles of crud?) fluid back at the master cylinder.

Or, should I just get a master cylinder?
Old 01-03-2010, 01:42 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by K4GPB
Background:

My 60K mile C5 recently had brake service done. Goop was put on the back of all the pads to reduce the initial bake pedal apply squeal. Worked fine. No other prior problems in past year with brakes.

Drove fine for 40-50 miles.

Parked overnight in garage. Coolant temp showed 46 degrees at start-up this AM. Put it in reverse and brake pedal goes to floor when backing out driveway. Makes air whooshing sound each time pedal is depressed. No leaks in car or on garage floor. After about 5 pedal depressions while in park and E brake on, I turn off car and let it sit. Felt none of the usual pressure in pedal, except for hearing the air sound.

Let it sit in the sun for about 90 min. and started it up and brake pedal & brakes now work perfect. Pedal pressure very firm with engine off. Fluid at proper level.

I'm sure the pistons in each caliper were pushed in to get the pads out and I just wonder if somehow all that messed up the (particles of crud?) fluid back at the master cylinder.

Or, should I just get a master cylinder?
Kinda sounds like you lost the power booster.....
Old 01-03-2010, 02:19 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Kinda sounds like you lost the power booster.....
Got to agree - Check your BOOSTER vacuum line going to it and make sure the seal is good and it is not leaking

Thanks,Matt
Old 02-14-2010, 10:46 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if the pedal is firm with engine off, but will slowly lose brake pedal firmness when the engine is on, it sounds like the vacumm booster or hose, and not the master cylinder?
Old 02-14-2010, 11:02 PM
JCamaro
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96solo
So if the pedal is firm with engine off, but will slowly lose brake pedal firmness when the engine is on, it sounds like the vacumm booster or hose, and not the master cylinder?
Could be either....but chances are it's a vacuum leak....
Old 02-15-2010, 09:43 AM
K4GPB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pedal Goes to Floor - later, it's OK

It has only happened once more since original posting, and it was from a cold start, after sitting about 4-5 days. Problem went away after about 30 sec. of engine idling. No other failures.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:01 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

"Very firm" as in hard as a freaking rock? Hydraulics are prob. fine then. +1 to you've the booster. The "whooshing" noise is the sound of engine vacuum sucking the pedal to the floor.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pedal Goes to Floor - later, it's OK

Quick Reply: Brake Pedal Goes to Floor - later, it's OK