C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel rail covers lock down C3-LS1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 04:29 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel rail covers lock down C3-LS1 swap

On my C3 LS1 swap, I'm having some fun trying to get the Z06 fuel rail covers to lock down onto the fuel rails. They are F-body fuel rails, if that makes a difference. I wouldn't think that it would make any difference.

I can get the passenger side to lock down, sort of, but with any bumping, they just seem to pop back up quite easily. The driver side doesn't want to lock down at all onto the fuel rail. They are both fully seated onto the threaded studs on the bottom, and that's all that's holding them into position.

Is this what I should expect or ?

Old 03-01-2010, 10:52 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I switched to the red ones on my 2000 coupe and they popped right in and locked down. There must be a difference in the fuel rails or something to be preventing the covers to fully seat.

I would love to get one of the LS engines in my 72!

Sully
Old 03-02-2010, 01:58 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

The mounting points are the same for both Red & Black FRCs.

The fuel rails are the same from an F-body to a Corvette.

With that being said.... it looks like the driver's side isn't hooked onto the fuel rails, which is altering the point of snapping onto the two studs.

The top section of the FRC hooks onto the fuel rails, that's step one... after that you should try to angle your head as you pivot the part downward to see what's preventing you from snapping it down onto the studs.

The top hook comes first, then snapping downward onto the studs, not the other way around.

I can't tell (because I'm not at the car) but the fuel line connector seems to be (large and) wedged into the slot and possibly obstructing things. If needed you may need to trim the plastic.

Remember... angle the part so the hooks snap on the rail... if something is blocking that, then start there... then move onto rotating the FRC downward to snap onto the stud while twisting the slot to allow fuel line progression. See what is holding you at that point.

p.s.- That's one Lucky Shark to get an LSx powerplant! Congrats.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:31 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Joshua
Great post and thanks for the insight. I did start by pushing them down onto the studs, Which are holding very solid, then try to lock the hooks to the fuel rail. I'll have to try it the other way.

For the drivers side, the fuel connector has room for wiggle. It seems the hooks are being blocked by brackets welded to the fuel rail. Maybe your method might allow for better placement of the hooks before I hit the studs.

For the passenger side, I figured out that I'll need to trim the plastic at the rear to clear the harness, since it is adapted to fit.

I'll get them sorted. They look too good not to keep them there.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:09 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by MN-Brent
I'll get them sorted. They look too good not to keep them there.
I agree.

Without the covers the LS engine looks a little cluttered unless the coils are relocated and the wiring is minimized...

The FRCs really add some eye candy to the firepower your Shark is now packing...
Old 03-02-2010, 07:17 PM
jon c
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

what are the chances that you are trying to put a set of FRC's from a late LS1 on a fuel system off of an early LS1 with 2 lines instead of 1?????
Old 03-03-2010, 10:02 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jon c
what are the chances that you are trying to put a set of FRC's from a late LS1 on a fuel system off of an early LS1 with 2 lines instead of 1?????
Honest question, but just about Zero point Zero...

Last edited by MN-Brent; 03-03-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:29 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

I figured it out. The plastic locking clamps for the injector wiring looms were upside down apparently. Just reversing them so the locking tabs face down towards the valve covers created the extra room needed to get the FRC's to fit in. Just needed to step away from it for a minute to figure it out.

The driver side only needed a little extra clearancing done to the fuel line input opening, just for insurance.

The passenger side needed a section cut out of the rear to clear the wiring harness loom and a section cutout to clear the Lokar throttle cable bracket.

Both sides are locked down nice and tight!!

Joshua-thanks for your input. It was most helpful!!
Brent.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel rail covers lock down C3-LS1 swap

Quick Reply: Fuel rail covers lock down C3-LS1 swap