C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch life.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:44 AM
INTRUBL
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch life.

I'm sure this has been covered before, tried search function, no help. So my question, what is an average clutch life on a 6 speed? Mine is starting to shift a little klunky with 63,000 on the clock. So is it time and what can I expect to pay for a new clutch installed?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:19 AM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

I have 92,000 on my stock clutch. When I added the cam and other stuff, about 10,000 miles ago, I noticed the pedal sticking to the floor but have lived with it until now. I think the clutch is fine but the hydraulics are on the way out. An inexpensive upgrade would be the LS7 clutch kit. I think the whole kit (clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, pilot bearing, slave and master clynders) are around $720 from GMPartsHouse.com. That's the setup I'm going with. Good luck.

-Cameron
Old 03-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by INTRUBL
I'm sure this has been covered before, tried search function, no help. So my question, what is an average clutch life on a 6 speed? Mine is starting to shift a little klunky with 63,000 on the clock. So is it time and what can I expect to pay for a new clutch installed?
May be your transfluid... change that and see if your shifting improves. Did for me anyway.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:53 PM
mistermog
Drifting

I know this isn't going to help so late, but I love saying it...

164,000 miles, original clutch... Been down the 1/4, lots of 0-60 runs, this thing still holds unless I pop the clutch at 5k from a standstill... (Yeah I just did that 2 weeks ago... we'll blame peer pressure... sure...)
Old 05-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

126,000 miles on a 1998 and original clutch.

You need to change the trans fluid. I recommend Amsoil ATD.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to replace a leaky slave at 59k,so while I was in there I replaced the clutch,but the original still had at least half of the friction material left on the disk,probably would've went another 50k.

I found my 98 shifts best with Dexron III,"the cheap stuff"-haven't tried Amsoil,but I've heard it's good .
Don't bother with Mobil 1 Synthetic-2 reasons: It's not supposed to be good for the blocker rings in the tranny on the earlier C5's,and,in my case anyway,it made the car shift like an old tractor.
Drained the Mobil 1 after about 3 months and went with the Dex,and it's shifted great ever since.

Try new tranny fluid before you go to the expense of a clutch,hey even if you end up needing a clutch,you'll have fresh tranny fluid to go with it.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:45 AM
thechosenone
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Carcass
I had to replace a leaky slave at 59k,so while I was in there I replaced the clutch,but the original still had at least half of the friction material left on the disk,probably would've went another 50k.

I found my 98 shifts best with Dexron III,"the cheap stuff"-haven't tried Amsoil,but I've heard it's good .
Don't bother with Mobil 1 Synthetic-2 reasons: It's not supposed to be good for the blocker rings in the tranny on the earlier C5's,and,in my case anyway,it made the car shift like an old tractor.
Drained the Mobil 1 after about 3 months and went with the Dex,and it's shifted great ever since.

Try new tranny fluid before you go to the expense of a clutch,hey even if you end up needing a clutch,you'll have fresh tranny fluid to go with it.
why spend all that money on the expensive stuff when Dexron III work perfectly fine, and not to mention its written on the bottom of the trans just in case your forgot!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the clutch will outlast the throwout bearing. When that goes, that little $12 part will rattle like crazy when you have the clutch pedal out. I did a trans on my '03 Z and figured that since everything was taken apart, may as well do a LS7 clutch kit. Stock clutch had less than 55k miles on it and looked like it had plenty of life left.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:30 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Like others have said, the clutch itself will go a long azzed time. It's your hydraulics and T-O bearing that'll die first. My slave popped around 70k, but the clutch itself looked like it could've gone another 70k easily. People just usually replace the whole mess when they're in there because of what a PITA it is to get to the slave.

Why did the general have to use that G.D. concentric slave cylinder?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:53 AM
mx597turbo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Who cares about the salve. I would rather have had a troque tube that can come out without dropping the rear. That would have mad it easy to service the slave, clutch, and tranny.

I wish there were a way to use a regular drive shaft instead of a torque tube.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch life.

Quick Reply: Clutch life.