C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is My Oil Pressure Too High?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by KGoodwin
Yanking the intake manifold to gain access to the oil pressure sensor is again red neck auto repair.
So following the service manual is "red neck auto repair"?
Old 04-03-2010, 08:44 AM
ScottPurlee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, cars are engineered for ease of manufacture, not repair.

If they were engineered for repair, GM would have created a simple access port to reach the oil pressure switch without removing the intake manifold. Trust me, no engineer would ever spec that much work just to replace a switch.

That said, the Service Manual procedure is often, but not always, the most expedient or even the best way to solve a problem. The oil pressure switch is an excellent example of manufacturing engineering coming into conflict with repair engineering.

Creating the should-have-been-there access port turns the $500/4-hour job into the 20 minute $0 job it should be.

I'd like to know how many people experience downstream problems related to fuel/electrical/emissions issues from repeatedly pulling the manifold.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ScottPurlee
Creating the should-have-been-there access port turns the $500/4-hour job into the 20 minute $0 job it should be.

I'd like to know how many people experience downstream problems related to fuel/electrical/emissions issues from repeatedly pulling the manifold.
First off, no one and I mean no one who belongs anywhere near a vehicle with a wrench could possibly take 4 hours to pull the intake and replace the OPS.

Second off, if you read the forum much on the subject no one seems to be experiencing fuel/electrical/emissions issues from repeatedly pulling the manifold.

If you are having both these issues perhaps automotive repair is not something you are suited for.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:42 PM
ScottPurlee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may be a super wrench but most people aren't and don't want to take on pulling the manifold when there's an easier and faster solution.

I know this is true when I read the hundreds of posts about relocating the switch, installing modification kits and creating access ports.

Still, I'm glad you have success with pulling it and there's certainly nothing wrong with the approach.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ScottPurlee
You may be a super wrench but most people aren't and don't want to take on pulling the manifold when there's an easier and faster solution.
In fact I am not a super wrench and that is exactly my point. I have a basic familiarity with hand and power tools, a good understanding of the internal combustion engine, some understanding of electricity and electronics and am very well versed in all things hydraulic.

What I have that allows me to be able to accomplish some of the more basic maintenance and repair issues is an ability to read and understand a service manual as well as technical articles and forum posts.

As I have said many times before, if you have the skill to PROPERLY cut an access hole and reseal it so that engine compartment air does not enter the passenger compartment then you certainly possess the skill to remove the intake manifold and do the job properly.

The fact that I am not a super wrench and able to accomplish the task proves my point. Here is the finished product:

I was able to do this in 2.5 hours with only hand tools. Should I ever need to replace the sensor again it would now be a 5 minute job, faster than the hole method.

Last edited by Mark C5; 04-03-2010 at 10:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Is My Oil Pressure Too High?