C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie rods

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 03:46 PM
ssdungeon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tie rods

I have one that is bent from a wrecker hooking to it.

Can I just replace the tie rod or will I need to replace the whole rack and pinion?

Anyone have an idea where to get the parts I need? it works fine just bent. Or can it be straightened?

If its replaced will I need to get a boot or any seals? I know NOFFFIN aoubt this so please give some insight.

Its for my c5
Thanks,
Old 04-25-2010, 04:02 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 847 Likes on 723 Posts

Your talking the front between the rack and the wheel. That piece can be changed. Look for an inner ball joint or inner tie rod end for the front. It unscrews from the rack. Just beware that it takes a special tool to unscrew it and some people have had a lot of trouble getting them off because they can be very tight.

Check the pricing because Zip Corvettes has a whole rebuilt rack for $200.

Peter
Old 04-25-2010, 05:35 PM
ssdungeon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default thanks

Thanks ill look them up. I can order one already done for 420.00 shipped. I didnt want to pay for that and the install when all I need is the passenger side tie rod replaced or straightened

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Your talking the front between the rack and the wheel. That piece can be changed. Look for an inner ball joint or inner tie rod end for the front. It unscrews from the rack. Just beware that it takes a special tool to unscrew it and some people have had a lot of trouble getting them off because they can be very tight.

Check the pricing because Zip Corvettes has a whole rebuilt rack for $200.

Peter

Get notified of new replies

To Tie rods

Quick Reply: Tie rods