C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help my car wont start!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:54 AM
StreetGame101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help my car wont start!!!!!!!!!

Picked the car up friday from the shop. I've owned it for 2 months (the guy i bought it from said he never had this problem before) and it has been in the shop the whole time getting performance upgrades. I drove it friday night about 40mile then went home (it was night time). I drove it all day saturday. Car was running great. But later on that saturday night i went to a meet about 10pm and parked. About 11pm i was gonna go to a gas station for gas, cig, ect and when i went to crank the car up it turned over but no fire (spitting full out the pipes as i turned the ignition over and smoking). I then took the key out and let the car sit for a few second, stuck the key back in, turned it over and it cranked right up. I drove to the store, came back to the meet and parked it for the remainder of the meet. As the night was ending and everyone was leaving i got in the car and tried starting it and the same thing (turned over and tried to crank but would die imediately). Only this time when i pulled the key out it still would'nt start. The car sounds like it wants to start and actually does crank for a split second and then dies really fast, then it turns over and just keeps spinning. Its getting fuel because as im trying to start it gas is coming out the exhaust (i have turn downs under the car and the unburnt fuel stinks and smokes). So after a while of unsucessful attempts of starting i finally have a trailer brought to me and take it home. Sunday morning (today) i pull the plugs and change em thinking i fouled them out. Which they were super black from all the trying to start procedures. After new plugs, the same thing . The car says reduced engine power and service traction system when you turn the key forward, plus the security lights blinking (which i think the security is normal). I dont know what else to do. I've unhooked the batt and still nothing. Im lost and need help quick so it dont cost me a fortune to solve this problem at a shop. Please help. The car is a 99 FRC that was a 6speed but i converted it to an automatic.

Thomas
Old 05-03-2010, 09:30 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetGame101
Picked the car up friday from the shop. I've owned it for 2 months (the guy i bought it from said he never had this problem before) and it has been in the shop the whole time getting performance upgrades. I drove it friday night about 40mile then went home (it was night time). I drove it all day saturday. Car was running great. But later on that saturday night i went to a meet about 10pm and parked. About 11pm i was gonna go to a gas station for gas, cig, ect and when i went to crank the car up it turned over but no fire (spitting full out the pipes as i turned the ignition over and smoking). I then took the key out and let the car sit for a few second, stuck the key back in, turned it over and it cranked right up. I drove to the store, came back to the meet and parked it for the remainder of the meet. As the night was ending and everyone was leaving i got in the car and tried starting it and the same thing (turned over and tried to crank but would die imediately). Only this time when i pulled the key out it still would'nt start. The car sounds like it wants to start and actually does crank for a split second and then dies really fast, then it turns over and just keeps spinning. Its getting fuel because as im trying to start it gas is coming out the exhaust (i have turn downs under the car and the unburnt fuel stinks and smokes). So after a while of unsucessful attempts of starting i finally have a trailer brought to me and take it home. Sunday morning (today) i pull the plugs and change em thinking i fouled them out. Which they were super black from all the trying to start procedures. After new plugs, the same thing . The car says reduced engine power and service traction system when you turn the key forward, plus the security lights blinking (which i think the security is normal). I dont know what else to do. I've unhooked the batt and still nothing. Im lost and need help quick so it dont cost me a fortune to solve this problem at a shop. Please help. The car is a 99 FRC that was a 6speed but i converted it to an automatic.

Thomas
First, pull your codes:

http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php

Exactly what "performance upgrades" were just done in the shop?
Old 05-03-2010, 12:40 PM
BlueThunder2000
Vettaholic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be due to VATS (key pellet), bad battery/battery post, or bad ground somewhere.

Clean your key. The BCM tests the resistor and tells the PCM if its the right resistance. PCM will cut the engine after couple of secs if the resistance is of the wrong value. Common to C5.
Battery post gives also such symptoms.

Cheers
Patrick
Old 05-03-2010, 12:46 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueThunder2000
This may be due to VATS (key pellet), bad battery/battery post, or bad ground somewhere.

PCM will cut the engine after couple of secs if the resistance is of the wrong value.
Not true. The PCM will disable the fuel injectors, so the engine will never start. The BCM will disable the theft deterrent relay, so the engine will not crank.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help my car wont start!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Please help my car wont start!!!!!!!!!