C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Control arms reversed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 07:38 PM
JChadwell
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Control arms reversed?

OK, this is going to be a strange question. Is it possible (meaning will they fit) for the front control arms to be on the wrong sides - right side on the left and vice versa. The reason I ask is that my front wheels are not 100% centered in the wheel wells. They both sit about a quarter of an inch too far back. It's almost impossible to tell and I didn't notice it for nearly a year after repairing my Z from an unfortunate curb hopping incident - had to replace bent arms. However, I know its there and I'd still like to correct this if it's possible. However, it's also possible it was that way before I went offroading and I just never noticed??

So, is it possible to put the front control arms on the wrong sides? And, if it is, would the result be what I've described?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Yes, that can be a problem. I dont have many pics that show the arms very well but will post what i have:

Old 05-10-2010, 01:30 PM
JChadwell
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Upon closer inspection, I'm 99% sure they are correct. The lowers could not possibly be reversed as the sway bar links wouldn't attach. The uppers do look like it may be possible to reverse them. However, I'm assuming the "F" stamped beside one of the mounting holes stands for "front". The "F"s are facing the front of my car.

It probably was like that all along and I just never noticed. I'm not going to worry about this anymore. The car looks terrific and drives perfectly. And based upon post-repair autocross performance, it must be bolted up correctly...

Thanks for the pics Bill.

Get notified of new replies

To Control arms reversed?

Quick Reply: Control arms reversed?