C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Yella Terra Ultralight Rocker

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:36 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

YT's had a bad batch a while ago, well documented, they step up to the plate and take care of it. You cant find everyone who bought some but when a broken one does show up they take care of it.

Makes a lot of noise and the broken piece usually doesn't cause heartache beyond that. You know right away something is up and stop driving it. Although I did have a customer nurse his back home instead of calling a tow truck. What is VA speeds take on all this? Isn't your car at their shop?

The rebuilt stocker is still just a rebuilt stocker, we offer them like so many others do. Only so much lift you can run with a stock setup.

I am curious though as to why you post here and tech at the same time? You drive an fbody.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoss
YT's had a bad batch a while ago, well documented, they step up to the plate and take care of it. You cant find everyone who bought some but when a broken one does show up they take care of it.

Makes a lot of noise and the broken piece usually doesn't cause heartache beyond that. You know right away something is up and stop driving it. Although I did have a customer nurse his back home instead of calling a tow truck. What is VA speeds take on all this? Isn't your car at their shop?

The rebuilt stocker is still just a rebuilt stocker, we offer them like so many others do. Only so much lift you can run with a stock setup.

I am curious though as to why you post here and tech at the same time? You drive an fbody.

YT had a bad batch of the YT 6645's, the 1.7 rocker for LS1's. Jim stepped up to the plate, and as far as I'm concerned went above and beyond. Kevin has something different though, his is the first staggered rocker I have seen do this. Perhaps they were machined on the same setup as the others? Either way, I can confidently say Jim will make it right.

Also, Kevin does not drive an F-Body, the car in his sig is his car.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:41 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
YT had a bad batch of the YT 6645's, the 1.7 rocker for LS1's. Jim stepped up to the plate, and as far as I'm concerned went above and beyond. Kevin has something different though, his is the first staggered rocker I have seen do this. Perhaps they were machined on the same setup as the others? Either way, I can confidently say Jim will make it right.

Also, Kevin does not drive an F-Body, the car in his sig is his car.
Thanks for saving me the trouble of correcting him.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:10 PM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

sorry my mistake, always saw you on fbody with VA Speed...
Old 06-27-2010, 07:36 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Originally Posted by 99blancoss
sorry my mistake, always saw you on fbody with VA Speed...
It's always been the Vette..
Old 06-27-2010, 07:53 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Ill give you $500 for the motor as is
Old 06-27-2010, 08:05 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette
Ill give you $500 for the motor as is
You'll need to buy some big boy pants first..
Old 06-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Thanks for saving me the trouble of correcting him.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:45 AM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I've read of many examples of YT failure on LS1.etc. types, but I'm sure the offset ones have an identical design. I hope all is well internally. BTW, I've had no problems with my Harland Sharps,nor have I heard of any breaking like those... just something to think about.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:20 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Were those new or a carry over from the prior motor? You may also want to shoot an e-mail to Jim at YT who posted his contact information in a thread about 6 months ago.
Jim got back to me already. A replacement will be sent out immediately.

Great customer service!
Old 06-29-2010, 05:44 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Did Jim give any indication of the issue?
Old 06-29-2010, 05:50 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
I've read of many examples of YT failure on LS1.etc. types, but I'm sure the offset ones have an identical design. I hope all is well internally. BTW, I've had no problems with my Harland Sharps,nor have I heard of any breaking like those... just something to think about.

Search ls1tech and see there have been reports of broken harland sharps also in the past. That would suck to get cought a long way from home with something like this. Now I'll always be worried about my YT's damnit
Old 06-29-2010, 06:19 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Did Jim give any indication of the issue?
This from Jim by email to my question of were there any other failures of the offset rockers...

No we haven’t …..Twenty L92 offset arms out of a production of 3000 arms got thru and we caught it in time ….Unfortunately, yours was the one …..

Ive been to the forum…thanks for the comments…and as mentioned the main issue was with the pushrod cup machining on some of these arms.

…Replacement Arms may take a few days due to shipping them out of Melbourne Australia…but will try our best to get them to you earlier

rgds

Jim Petrakis
General Manager
Old 06-29-2010, 07:23 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Well I will say one thing, since Jim first visited this forum when the LS1 version had some issues he has stood behind the product and been very up front with causes. That is great vendor support, especially considering the shipping origination point.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:33 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

Well I will say one thing, since Jim first visited this forum when the LS1 version had some issues he has stood behind the product and been very up front with causes. That is great vendor support, especially considering the shipping origination point.
High marks for being reactive, low marks for being proactive. Obviously, they are still lacking in their process and quality control. With such a short production run of 3K pieces, the 20 pieces should have never made it out the door. In the event that they did, it would have been easy to track the suspect out of spec parts, and issue a recall to vendors, shops, etc. Say what you want, but they are still missing the mark here...it's not like they are pumping out 500K pieces per day.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:07 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky131969
High marks for being reactive, low marks for being proactive. Obviously, they are still lacking in their process and quality control. With such a short production run of 3K pieces, the 20 pieces should have never made it out the door. In the event that they did, it would have been easy to track the suspect out of spec parts, and issue a recall to vendors, shops, etc. Say what you want, but they are still missing the mark here...it's not like they are pumping out 500K pieces per day.
Hi volume production environment.....till your really involved in something like that its easy to state what you did above.

We have checks on top of checks and guys to check the second wave of checks.....sometimes **** happens when your dealing with big numbers.

The difference between an average company and a great company IMO is how they deal with their problems and their approach to customer service in general.

I've had some dealings with performance part in my past that a company stood behind as best they could (numerous attempts to fix the problem and good communication)....in the end the product they had just wasn't stout enough to do the job and even though it was a PITA and cost me a bunch of time more than anything else I never harbored bad feelings after the smoke cleared because of how professionally they handled themselves.

I try to do the same for AFR customers every chance I get.....no company (or product) is perfect that mass produces anything....although thats obviously the goal.

Jim and the gang at Yella Terra are really stand up guys who care....Ive met most of management and I can tell you they are good people.

FWIW....my nickels worth of input from a fellow company that mass produces high performance engine components!

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 06-29-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:24 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Hi volume production environment.....till your really involved in something like that its easy to state what you did above.
Indeed, and that's why it was easy for me to say.....because it's what I do for a living.

Get notified of new replies

To Broken Yella Terra Ultralight Rocker

Old 06-30-2010, 08:26 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

It's unfortunate that people have taken the opportunity in this thread to bash an extremely responsible vendor. I posted this for the people here who have closely followed my build. The setup I'm running -while mild in power delivery - is fairly radical and out of the norm. The cam I am running is NOT your average shelf cam. I used the best parts available including the YT rockers which have given me 3 years of service. Stuff happens! What separates vendors is how they respond.

This from Jim. I'm not sure what more you could ask.

Hi Kevin,

Chances of having another suspect one is slim …..To be on the safe side Im sending you out a complete new set…and if you don’t mind send the rest of the set back to Meridian.

We also stand by the YT products and any US customer who is in doubt can ask any Australian Performance customer about Yella Terra and they will see that we are both reactive and proactive ….

In the meantime I’ll give you an update on the new set

Thanks Kevin

Jim Petrakis

General Manager

Last edited by WKMCD; 06-30-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:50 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

$450 for the motor with the new rockers
Old 06-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Picked up a dead miss and a rattle on the way home last night. Pulled the valve covers this morning and found a broken YT Ultralight rocker. It's the intake rocker. It broke off the PR seat area. I found the steel insert for the pushrod but not the larger piece that broke off. I'll try to get some pics up later. I guess I'll go back to stockers with the COMP trunion upgrade. CRAP!!!

Any vendors sell LS3/L92 rockers already upgraded?

Contact Roger Vinci at Vinci Hi-Performance -http://www.vincihiperformance.com . He may still have some sets of the Crane LS3 aluminum billet rocker arms.

-

Quick Reply: Broken Yella Terra Ultralight Rocker