C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Neutral safety switch plate on trans?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Ksths2
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 4L60E Neutral safety switch plate on trans?

Hey everyone,
I'm finishing up my manual to auto trans conversion on my 2002 C5 and i'm getting ready to bolt on the neutral safety switch plate or gear selection switch plate (its the metal plate w/ 2 plug-in's on that bolts to the drivers side of trans w/ 3 bolts)
Anyway, how do i make sure i get that on correctly, i know that little cylindrical plastic bushing has a flat spot that goes over the shift shaft on trans but is there any way i can get it on wrong?

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:56 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Park/Neutral Position Switch Replacement
Tools Required
J 41364-A Park/Neutral Position Switch Aligner

Removal Procedure

Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the intermediate exhaust pipe and allow the LH muffler assembly to hang down out of the way. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement in Engine Exhaust.
Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
Remove the nuts retaining the transmission shift control cable bracket to the transmission.

Important
Use care to not suddenly jerk the shift control cable during disassembly, the shift control cable rod end guide tubes are EXTREMELY INFLEXIBLE and capable of only a SLIGHT bend.

CAREFULLY release the shift control cable end clip from the transmission shift lever stud.
Reposition the transmission shift cable and bracket.

Disconnect the park/neutral position switch electrical connectors.

Using a wrench on the transmission manual shaft wrench flats (in order to keep the shaft from turning), remove the range selector (shift) lever retaining nut.
Remove the range selector (shift) lever.
Check that the transmission is still in NEUTRAL.

Remove the park/neutral position switch mounting bolts.
Slide the switch off of the manual shaft.
Installation Procedure

Install the J 41364-A to the park/neutral position switch.
Align the two lower slots on the switch (2) with the two lower tabs on the J 41364-A .
Rotate the tool until the upper pin on the tool is lined up with the slot on the top of the switch (1).
Check that the transmission is still in NEUTRAL.

Important
Do not remove the J 41364-A from the park/neutral position switch until instructed.

Install the park/neutral position switch to the transmission manual shaft.
Align the flats in the switch hub with the flats on the manual shaft.
Slide the switch onto the transmission manual shaft until the switch mounting bracket contacts the mounting bosses on the transmission case.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the park/neutral position switch mounting bolts. Tighten
Tighten the park/neutral position switch mounting bolts to 27 N·m (20 lb ft).

Remove the J 41364-A from the switch.

Install the transmission range selector (shift) lever onto the transmission manual shaft. Be sure to install the shift lever in an upright orientation.
Using a wrench on the transmission manual shaft wrench flats (in order to keep the shaft from turning), install the range selector (shift) lever retaining nut. Tighten
Tighten the transmission range selector lever nut to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

Connect the park/neutral position switch electrical connectors.

Install the transmission shift control cable and bracket into position.
Align the shift control cable end to the transmission shift lever stud.

Important
Use care to not suddenly jerk the shift control cable during assembly, the shift control cable rod end guide tubes are EXTREMELY INFLEXIBLE and capable of only a SLIGHT bend.

CAREFULLY secure the shift control cable end clip to the transmission shift lever stud.

Install the nuts retaining the transmission shift control cable bracket to the transmission. Tighten
Tighten the transmission shift control cable bracket retaining nuts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

Install the intermediate exhaust pipe. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement in Engine Exhaust.
Shift the transmission into PARK.
Lower the vehicle.
-----------------------------------------------
Name:  PNAlign.gif
Views: 4658
Size:  9.7 KB

Last edited by byronhunter; 08-04-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Ksths2
Pro

wow thats alot to do but thanks a million for the detailed info!
Old 08-04-2010, 04:26 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I feel sure you can do it withought the Special Tool. I've done it, not on a C5, but the same type of setup.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:23 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Ksths2
wow thats alot to do but thanks a million for the detailed info!
go to ebay and do a search. Tool is like $13 shipped.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Ksths2
Pro

Sounds good!

Get notified of new replies

To 4L60E Neutral safety switch plate on trans?

Quick Reply: 4L60E Neutral safety switch plate on trans?