C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blinker/daytime light issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:39 AM
sindekhan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default blinker/daytime light issue

my daytime lights/front blinkers.... first 1 burnt out, then the other. I replaced em. Then one went out again, i went to replace, wasn't burnt out, reinstalled, wouldnt come on, then later came on suddenly, went out again 2 days later for a couple days, came back on, now my OTHER one went out and has been out a few days :P

i'm assuming i have a short somewhere, but just posting this to see if anyone's had this issue or has any input on what other possible causes?

thanks for any suggestions
Old 08-30-2010, 10:21 AM
03WhiteConv
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

There have been other posts like this and I remember one guy who insisted the bulb was in the socket tight. Thurned out it wasn't quite seated. You really have to push to get in in all of the way. It should click when it engages all of the way. I know that when I installed mine it was almost uncomfortable how hard you have to puch to get the click.

Give it a try, and wear a glove.

Originally Posted by sindekhan
my daytime lights/front blinkers.... first 1 burnt out, then the other. I replaced em. Then one went out again, i went to replace, wasn't burnt out, reinstalled, wouldnt come on, then later came on suddenly, went out again 2 days later for a couple days, came back on, now my OTHER one went out and has been out a few days :P

i'm assuming i have a short somewhere, but just posting this to see if anyone's had this issue or has any input on what other possible causes?

thanks for any suggestions
Old 08-30-2010, 10:25 AM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's fairly common to possibly be getting water in to the housing for the bulb..usually it drips down from the headlight area after raining or car washing etc...spray that area down with water..car off, pop the bulb out and stick ur finger or a paper towel in there and see if you got any water.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:47 PM
jochumr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Had simular problem ... I had replaced the sockets and put dielectric grease to keep them from corroding .. well my guess is if you dont get them seated tight (as stated above) the grease gets hot and the bulbs pop out. If you dont think they get hot look at the sockets they get fried!

I switched to LEDs so I dont have the problem anymore.

One trick I did find for changing the bulbs was to go in thru the front break duct openings. Its a tight squezz but you can get you hand in there .. sure beats going in from underneath.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:07 PM
rbrtclk
Racer

When your driving lights are on they heat the top of the housing and causes it to melt, thereby letting water in to pop a hot bulb. The cure is to put a piece of aluminium foil over the hole in the light housing and then cover the foil with clear silicone. Or by new turn signal housings. If you buy new and use the same bulbs, it will happen again. You can change to LED bulbs which will reduce the heat. Bad GM design the bulbs are too close to the top of the housing and heat damages it, causing the leak.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:13 PM
rbrtclk
Racer

Originally Posted by rbrtclk
When your driving lights are on they heat the top of the housing and causes it to melt, thereby letting water in to pop a hot bulb. The cure is to put a piece of aluminium foil over the hole in the light housing and then cover the foil with clear silicone. Or by new turn signal housings. If you buy new and use the same bulbs, it will happen again. You can change to LED bulbs which will reduce the heat. Bad GM design the bulbs are too close to the top of the housing and heat damages it, causing the leak.
To get to the housing easily, find someone with small hands, and you can turn the headlight up on the affected side, and remove the black shroud around the headlight, and look through, or reach through to see the top of the turn signal housing. Usually, you can see where it has burned through. Otherwise, remove the whole housing. You will have to remove the cooling duct to get the housing out. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:10 AM
sindekhan
Advanced

Default thanks

That makes total sense, sounds like exactly what's happening, maybe I should look into LEDs then if the design is faulty.

Get notified of new replies

To blinker/daytime light issue

Quick Reply: blinker/daytime light issue