C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel gage drops to "E" even when full.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:41 PM
rried2tall
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great info

I have the same problem in my 2003 vette, has only happened once but I will start the treatment soon and hopefully it will fix the problem. Thanks
Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Before.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:45 PM
SpeedyZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKnROLL
Is it best to put the techron in before you fill-up or after you've filled-up? If I understand the fuel system set-up, before would be better cause it would get in both tanks where as, after, it would just stay in the one tank. Does it make a difference?
Before is best and the easiest but it don't make much difference.

If you pour it in before you can just dump in the entire bottle and it will mix with the fuel as it goes in and be in both tanks right away.

If you pour it in after its full you might not be able to get the entire bottle in since the tanks are already full. The fuel in the right tank is always pumped into the left tank then overflows back into the right tank so the Techron will be mixed in both tanks fairly quickly.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:23 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Put the Techron into the tank and fill to full. Pick up the correct size bottle for our 18 gal tank and get the concentrate.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:38 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky131969
It's the same thing. Techron with a GM label on it.
good to know, thanks lucky
Old 10-20-2010, 08:16 AM
armycopter
Instructor

I got the dreaded "drop to E" on the gas gauge this morning on the way to work. I guess it's off to autozone to buy some technron later today. My fuel tank was just under 3/4 full when it dropped. I had hoped to avoid this common problem. I've only had the car a month and a half and it's worked perfectly the entire time.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:19 AM
scottyk5
5th Gear

I had the same issue on my 02. Went through the techron fix, then replaced both pumps and evenutally had the BCM replaced which finally cured it. Thankfully GM gave me the new computer for free after they attempted and were unsuccessful (but charged me none the less!) the first few tries at the repair.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:40 AM
armycopter
Instructor

Oh geez, I hope it doesn't need a new BCM! $$$$$$$$$
Old 10-20-2010, 10:50 AM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

To be clear...not chevron gas w/techron....rather... a bottle of concentrated Techron fuel additive.

Just had this issue, 3 tankfulls of Shell super and Techron (20 gals bottle) added each time...

Fixed it...
Old 10-20-2010, 11:17 AM
armycopter
Instructor

Originally Posted by oh1vette
Just had this issue, 3 tankfulls of Shell super and Techron (20 gals bottle) added each time...

Fixed it...
Where do you get a 20 gallon bottle of techron?
Old 10-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Spooky 52
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found it's cheaper in the long run to just go to AutoZone and get the $100 code reader. If the guage does the "E" thing just plug in the reader and go to "Clear Codes". If it tells you that there are no codes and asks do you want to clear them anyway, push "Yes". The guage comes back into service. It will take only about 10 times to pay for the reader at $11 or more per bottle. Takes about two minutes to run the test.

Jim
Old 10-20-2010, 11:35 AM
armycopter
Instructor

Autozone will also plug in their reader for free...I've used it before. I do have a ScanGauge II that will clear codes for me as well. I may use that if I have to just to get rid of the idiot light on the dash.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Spooky 52
Advanced

You're not in California, are you? This wonderful state has concluded that AutoZone cannot do a diagnostic for you because they are not licensed by the Bureau of Automotive Repair as a repair facility. I've never heard such crap before but that is now the law in this god forsaken state. I wish I could afford to pull up and move somewhere else. Heaven help us if Brown is elected again. They are already trying to get rid of the old and classic cars through new regulations. I shudder to think what will happen if Governor Moonbeam gets back in. I'll get off the soapbox now.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...es/patriot.gif
Old 10-20-2010, 12:49 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by armycopter
Where do you get a 20 gallon bottle of techron?
yeah thats what I meant!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 01:26 PM
armycopter
Instructor

Well, it's "fixed" already. I looked up the codes on the DIC and cleared the only one that was in there. It was a PCM code. Like an idiot, I didn't think to write it down before I cleared it. However, as soon as I cleared it, the gas gauge started working again. I picked up some Techron anyway. Not sure what that was about and I hope it doesn't happen again!
Old 01-16-2011, 12:45 PM
ssdungeon
Racer

The black wire fell off durring an install. I will try to solder it back but I doubt it will work. Ill need the part number. But more importantly HOW THE HECK do you get that pump back in there eith the float? There HAS to be a trick!!

Originally Posted by DeeGee
Coming back to your original problem Jim. Trust the advice you've been given. It is without doubt a common problem and can normally be easily fixed.

Here's a copy of a post I made in another thread with the same issue

The dead gas gauge is a common problem here. Normally the symptom is that it will fall to zero. In my case, the first time it happened I filled to full but the gauge showed 3/4 and slowly rose to full. I treated it quickly and it cleared. I've since had a "drop to empty" when I ran the tank low on one occasion.

You can see from this picture how the sender works. The floating arm runs over pick offs and depending on the amount of fuel sends a different resistance to the computer to gauge the gas. The right tank pumps fuel to the left from where it feeds the engine. The computer averages the contents of both tanks. The problem is that sulfur in the gas fouls the pick offs causing a bad reading.

In your case it's working initially with a full load.

The easy solution is to treat it with Techron (or some prefer Seafoam). If it's only slightly fouled Techron will clear it quickly. If it's been a while with those symptoms and it's badly clogged it may take a number of treatments to clean it. If it's really badly fouled you may have to replace the senders. Theres one in each tank.

Try Techron first. The other thing to do is to check the codes and clear down any fuel related problems.

Report back but give the Techron time to work
Old 01-16-2011, 03:06 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by ssdungeon
The black wire fell off durring an install. I will try to solder it back but I doubt it will work. Ill need the part number. But more importantly HOW THE HECK do you get that pump back in there eith the float? There HAS to be a trick!!
Driver's side sending unit kit (with float arm): 10333749
Note: this does NOT include the tank gasket, so be careful with your old one. If you reuse it, be careful to criss-cross when tightening the screws and go easy on the torque. Those are brass threads on the tank. If you need a new one, Rock Auto has the best price I've found. AC Delco: G4 (GM part # 12458250)

Carefully unclip the float-arm w/sender when removing or re-installing the pump. Be careful not to bang it around or damage it.

HTH
Old 01-16-2011, 03:50 PM
joe Villarreal
Instructor

Default fuel guage

What i had to do after months of this problem was to get a aftermarket warranty and then took the car to the dealer to have both sending units replaced and i have had no more problems since a A.S.E certified tech advised me to add techron fuel cleaner at least every 3000 miles also my deductable was only $100 dollars for an $1800 dollar job

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel gage drops to "E" even when full.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:12 PM
3rd_Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by joe Villarreal
What i had to do after months of this problem was to get a aftermarket warranty and then took the car to the dealer to have both sending units replaced and i have had no more problems since a A.S.E certified tech advised me to add techron fuel cleaner at least every 3000 miles also my deductable was only $100 dollars for an $1800 dollar job
Hmmm, buy an after market warranty to fix a pre-existing problem..

Karma might get you in the end..
Old 06-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Dragon Daddy
Intermediate

To be clear...not chevron gas w/techron....rather... a bottle of concentrated Techron fuel additive.
Hi,
I had a similar problem when I first bought my '97 (used).
The Techron concentrate did not work in one and then a second application. However, all I use is Chevron Supreme and over the course of about two years the problem went away.
I believe that it takes some time to remove the sulfur deposits, so you have to use a gas with good cleaning attributes for a period of time.
Cheers.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:20 AM
HERNANA
2nd Gear

you have to replace the fuel sensor on the driver side tank. you can do it yourself if you can buy the part directly from gm parts direct. Fuel sensor runs about 80.00 plus the filter which is another 50.00. i did mine several months ago and took about 2 hr job. anyone can do it at home if you have time. this will fix your problem, guaranteed.

Quick Reply: Fuel gage drops to "E" even when full.