C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRM Brake Duct and Quantum Spindle Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:34 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default DRM Brake Duct and Quantum Spindle Install

I just finished installing these two items today and I couldn't find much information on here about the install. Maybe I'm bad at searching.

Anyhow, just wanted to post a warning to those who are looking to do the same mods.

The DRM instructions are pretty bad in my opinion. One of the directions is: Remove the stock brake ducts.
Well, that leaves out a lot of information and those things were a pain to pull out. Don't be too gentle.
You have to cut the stock ducts when you install the DRM extensions, so I found it easier to cut the stock ducts first and then remove them. Then do a final cut for the exact length once they're out of the car.
When it comes time to install the hose on the DRM duct, rotate the hose in one direction over and over again to try and thread it onto the DRM duct. Regardless, it is freaking hard to do.

My Quantum spindle ducts were not an exact fit and I had to use my Dremel to cut part of the metal tube so the rest of the piece would fit flush and not drag on the rotor. Both passenger and driver sides were like this. Some of the locking washers were missing from the package too. Only had enough to do one side. The heat shields that are now included in the kit are simple, yet freaking sweet. So glad they included this in there.

Actually, unless you're pretty skilled or have a DREMEL tool, then don't even attempt these installs because nothing seemed to fit just right. I spent hours cutting (and recutting because I'm not good at fabricating things).

Once you've installed the hose, turn your steering wheel left and right to ensure you have enough length installed. Also, remember that the wheels are hanging right now so that should take additional length so if the hose is fully stretched while the wheel is completely turned, you should be fine since usually the suspension would be compressed and the hose wouldn't have to reach such a long distance.

Be sure to check the clearance of the rotor on the Quantum pieces once you've installed them. Just slip the brake rotor on and give it a spin.
You also want to check the general clearance of the tire on the hose, so put the wheel on and give that a quick spin too.

Once you're finished (or you think you've finished), lower the car back down off the jack and stands and look through the wheel to see if the hose is touching the wheel.

Both packages had a lot of zip ties, though I think the only place you really need them is for the ABS sensor wires.

That is about all of the little pieces of information that would have helped me today.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-2010, 10:31 AM
FASST LN
Drifting

A couple of other things I forgot to mention:

When cutting into the wheel well to make the brake duct opening bigger, I tried several different cutting methods (box cutter, wrench, and hack saw) that were terrible, ineffective, and made a mess. The Dremel cut through this stuff with ease and there was enough room to work with the Dremel. I used a vacuum cleaner to suck up the dust and the Dremel at the same time to cut down on the mess.

Use the Dremel to make your final cut on the OEM brake ducts as well.
Lastly, there are seams on the sides of the OEM brake duct where, in the manufacturing process, they joined the two halves together. These seams can make it more difficult to slide the DRM Duct Extension over the OEM duct (slip fit) and they can cause an air leak (though not that important). Use the Dremel to file down and smooth out these seams before installing.

Curious if anyone else had similar problems with the install?

Last edited by FASST LN; 10-12-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:12 AM
SilentFright
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information! Did you happen to take any pictures? I am considering these components for my track-day Z06.

Thanks,
Old 05-03-2011, 07:42 AM
FASST LN
Drifting

Driver's Side

Passenger Side

Get notified of new replies

To DRM Brake Duct and Quantum Spindle Install

Quick Reply: DRM Brake Duct and Quantum Spindle Install