C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final on Tire Noise reduction and insulation

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 07:24 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,814 Likes on 1,926 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Final on Tire Noise reduction and insulation

OK.. Put the new Good Year EMT's on...insulated the wheel wells trunk and cabin...I took my weekly trip to Atlantic city.,. with Mrs Evil..her first time in the car since I did the work.. we hit the AC expressway..at 80 MPH .. MY wife says to me... Have you done something to this car...? it seems so much different..there is no road noise... All I can hear is the radio.. and the
engine.. She knew nothing of my project.. for 35 dollars anyone can get rid of most of your tire noise..it was never the tires... take the inner wheel wells out and you can see daylight right into the cabin.. there are holes that go right from the hatch straight into the wheel wells.. Also I made heat shield blankets for the exhausts and the cats..Normally I can feel heat inside the consol and on my leg as it rests against the tunnel.. I used material from the batting I used to insulate the the inside of the car.. and I wrapped the batting with very heavy duty aluminum foil..and placed them between the exhaust pipes and the torque tube cover.. I insulated the cabin and tunnel on the inside.. then I did it on the underside of the car too.. anyone can do this..
Old 04-06-2002, 09:40 PM
Viprklr
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Final on Tire Noise reduction and insulation (Evil-Twin)

Congrats! :cheers: The tires do make some noise though. I swithced from EMT's to Pilot Sports and the car is much quieter at 80mph than before. I did nothing else to the car, so I know that the tires do contribute some noise to the overall eqaution. :yesnod:
Old 04-07-2002, 12:13 AM
KingTut
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Final on Tire Noise reduction and insulation (Viprklr)

People just do not believe it can be the sound proofing and not the tires. I will be an even better case then Bill because I have relatively new (5000 miles) tires and I am not changing them. I am only going to do the rear wheel wells first and then maybe the inside cabin and trunk area. I will report back with an annalysis of the impact of no tire change - just increased sound proofing.
Old 04-07-2002, 01:59 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,351 Likes on 3,543 Posts

Going from most old tires to new will often be quieter, regardless of brand/type making such comparisons, in and of themselves highly suspect.
Old 04-07-2002, 10:19 AM
MiamiDave
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Final on Tire Noise reduction and insulation (Avanti)

Avanti is correct...
Old 04-07-2002, 12:09 PM
jdavis
Drifting

Good work Evil :yesnod: I agree that the tires aren't the total problem but the lack of sound insulation is the real culprit. The interior of my car has been pretty well insulated so all that remains is the inner wheel wells. Thanks for all of your R and D. I'll be making a stop by Lowes soon. One question...Did you do any work on the front wheel wells?
Old 04-07-2002, 01:31 PM
Sixguns
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Final on Tire Noise reduction and insulation (Avanti)

True, But on the way home in my brand new C5 with its brand new tires my wife and I noticed the increase of road noise as compared to the old C4 with its old tires we had just got out of and left behind. Fact is the C5 needs help with insulation of road noise. and yes as the tires age the noise does increase.
Old 04-07-2002, 02:22 PM
aces
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Final on Tire Noise reduction and insulation (Sixguns)

any pics? :cheers:
Old 04-07-2002, 04:20 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: Final on Tire Noise reduction and insulation (aces)

pic's are here
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...=263023&page=2

if you remove the inner wheel wells you will see why the C5 is noisy.. first of all there are two large holes that go from the coupes rear hatch rain gutter right into the wheel well area.. there is nothing there to insulate the sound..if someone told you that for 35 dollars.. you could reduce your cabin noise by 30% and a time investment of 5 or 6 hours..... now with new tires.. insulation and alignment i was able to reduce my total cabin noise by 50 or 60 %... <---- combination of the three eliments.
Old 04-07-2002, 04:27 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: Final on Tire Noise reduction and insulation (Viprklr)

As I have been saying for years .. All tires make noise.. just open your window and listen to other cars as they drive by ... even the lexus and the lincolns tires make noise.. its just that those cars have up to 100 pounds of sound insulation.. and those cars are metal.. and the tires are farther from the occupants.. ( longer wheel base ) .. there is nothing between our tires and our ears,, but alittle bit of plastic,,
Old 04-07-2002, 04:32 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Thanks for the info. :chevy
Old 08-19-2004, 07:42 AM
Rangervette
Cruising

Default Tires & Noise

Agree that noise reduction has many factors., and that new tires are almost always quieter than old ones. But right from the start my wife and I noticed a big noise problem with the original goodyears on my '02. I just switched to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP's (partly because of the advice of a lot of other vette drivers on this forum and partly because of independent ratings). They are at least 30% quieter thatn the new original goodyears and about 70% quieter than the goodyears when I took them off ( at only 20k mi.)
Rangervette
Old 08-19-2004, 02:12 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Rangervette
Agree that noise reduction has many factors., and that new tires are almost always quieter than old ones. But right from the start my wife and I noticed a big noise problem with the original goodyears on my '02. I just switched to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP's (partly because of the advice of a lot of other vette drivers on this forum and partly because of independent ratings). They are at least 30% quieter thatn the new original goodyears and about 70% quieter than the goodyears when I took them off ( at only 20k mi.)
Rangervette
All I can say is "WOW"... you are responding to a post I made 2 and a half years ago.. Ive been through two sets of EMT's since then... and now have a new set of Pilot Sports....My car is as quiet as it has always been since the insulation... 2 1/2 years ago.. Adding the Pilots a few weeks ago did NOT further reduce the tire noise.. Ive had Zero tire noise below 45 mph since the insulation.. and I reduced the tire noise above 45 mph by 50%.... I was hoping to further reduce that tire noise above 45 mph with the addition of the Pilots.. but it just didnt happen.. Car is still quiet , and very tolerable, but you can still hear tires... especially on a concrete surface... we can still talk and listen to the motor and the corsa's and the radio.. but I was hoping for a 10 to 20 % further reduction..
Old 08-20-2004, 05:43 PM
TRC
Intermediate

I have to do this mod soon, the road noise in my '99 is really getting to me. Thanx for all of your information and R&D.

Get notified of new replies

To Final on Tire Noise reduction and insulation

Quick Reply: Final on Tire Noise reduction and insulation