C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MityVac bleeding clutch slave through remote bleeder

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MityVac bleeding clutch slave through remote bleeder

I had a very strange problem this morning.
I wanted to bleed clutch hydraulics this morning through remote bleeder using Mityvac. I did enough fluid to re-fill reservoir 2 times.

Went for a drive and clutch was slipping big time. Could barely give it any throttle and clutch slipped.

Ive read that if too much vacuum is applied doing it this way the clutch master seals can be pulled backwards or something to that effect even though I wasnt pulling more than 15 hg. I finally had son get in car and bled the remote the old fashioned way stomping on pedal and opening bleeder. Went for a drive and problem was gone.
I dont think I did any permanent damage to the clutch master as it appears to be fine now.

Last edited by Z06supercharged; 03-03-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:21 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06supercharged
I hope I didn't do any permanent damage to the clutch master.
Time will tell.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:05 PM
stainless40cal
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ what he said. I dont see how you could have really hurt anything though its a mityvac that kind of the whole point of having one.... To be able to bleed things easier...
Old 03-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

DID you get a continuous stream of air when you used the mityvac???

The bleed fitting, when loosened, does not seal very well and will/can allow air to leak in around the bleed fitting threads.

Just use the old fashion "PUSH/open, bleed/tighten/release.. UNTIL THE AIR IS ALL GONE.

BC
Old 03-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

I took my bleeder screw completely out and used a pointed rubber fitting on my MV hose so it was a air tight seal on bleeder tapered end. As you know you cannot get a good bleed leaving bleed screw on and loosening it a little and re-tightening as air will get in. Once im done I dunk the end in a cup of fluid and put bleeder screw back in so no air get in.
I didnt get any air out but lots of slightly darker fluid so I kept it up until it cleared. I change the reservoir a lot to keep it clean Ranger method and it never darkens anymore.

After looking at diagrams apparently I over-pressurized the system and with too much vacuum and it was the same condition as if the pedal stayed down a tad or slave stayed pushed down on fingers enough to disengage slightly.

Last edited by Z06supercharged; 03-04-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Z06Supercharged, this may be helpful.

Originally Posted by Ranger
Bleeding a Clutch Via an Installed Remote Bleeder

Courtesy of “wrencher,” a moderator on LS1Tech.com and a GM Tech by profession. Reproduced and edited with permission.

A remote bleeder and Mity-Vac are absolutely essential to making the clutch bleeding procedure a one-man operation.

Connect a Mity-Vac to the outlet on the remote bleeder. To ensure a tight seal, apply a little “sil-glide” to the threads on the bleeder.

Next, start by draining the reservoir with a syringe. Refill with clean fluid.

Then proceed to pull a slight vacuum & pull the fluid in normal flow direction w/ the Mity-Vac brake fluid bleeding attachment.

Keep doing it till the fluid comes out clean. Make sure you keep the reservoir at the proper level throughout.

wrencher states: I usually keep an eye on the fluid color & flush by the look of it.

I drag race my car a lot. I flush before and after every track visit.

If I don’t, the pedal changes & I know it's flush time.

I do a fluid change & all is well again.

By following this routine, I’ve kept my master cylinder working correctly for 3-4 years now while doing a lot of racing.

Thanks to wrencher for the info.
Ranger
Old 03-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Thanks Ranger for that article.
The trick is to use a VERY SLIGHT amount of vacuum when doing it with a MityVac. If you use to much vacuum you will have the problem I had. Found another person that had the same exact thing happened to.
I'll just use the pedal way from now on as no way im taking a chance of that happening again and will never use the MV again as it really isnt needed unless you are all alone and need a bleed badly..

Last edited by Z06supercharged; 03-05-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To MityVac bleeding clutch slave through remote bleeder

Quick Reply: MityVac bleeding clutch slave through remote bleeder