C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marine 2 cycle oil --> ethanol gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:53 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

the problem is the govt and eco **** people don't care about anything but politics, money and their personal agenda. I am for clean air but not mandating new fuels, processes etc. until they are proven, corn-gas takes food off table, raises prices on food since almost all foods have corn products in them and our govt gives corn-gas producers money or they couldn't make a profit, just like we do with the wind turbines in west texas which are mostly owned by other countries...so much for getting off foreign energy ... all it is is switching from oil to something else. obama thinks nuc energy the way to go, ask japan about that now. sometimes old is better.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:43 AM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by LT1driver
the problem is the govt and eco **** people don't care about anything but politics, money and their personal agenda. I am for clean air but not mandating new fuels, processes etc. until they are proven, corn-gas takes food off table, raises prices on food since almost all foods have corn products in them and our govt gives corn-gas producers money or they couldn't make a profit, just like we do with the wind turbines in west texas which are mostly owned by other countries...so much for getting off foreign energy ... all it is is switching from oil to something else. obama thinks nuc energy the way to go, ask japan about that now. sometimes old is better.
Politics aside ethanol has been used for automotive fuel for over a century, it is not new technology. It's benefits in improving combustion efficiency as an automotive fuel when blended in low percetages with gasoline were documented in several studies commisioned by the EPA/DOE in the late seventies.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_fuel_history.html
Old 03-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by jedblanks
And for those that said anything mixed at 640:1 ration can't make a difference, consider that fuel stabilizer is mixed at a similar slightly higher ratio. The method discussed costs about 12 cents an ounce. Much more economical than ~$1 an ounce for fuel stabilizers.
Does this imply, since there's already a 50:1 ratio of E10 fuel and TCW III oil in my boat's fuel tank, that I do not need to use any additional fuel stabilizer when I store my boat for the winter?

Last fall, I paid about $10 for a 32 oz bottle of Sta-Bil. That's just over 31 cents an ounce.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:46 AM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Old 03-14-2011, 08:04 PM
hydrasport
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

From some one who owns outboard motors, you will need fuel stabilizer if you allow your fuel to age more than 60 days. Two stroke oil will leave the inside of a carb (or any other metal container) very clean and shiny. I just removed 2 carbs from one of my outboard motors. Though it had been sitting for several months and I expected damage from ethanol, it was perfectly clean due to a vro pump issue (too much oil oil injected into the fuel system). The fuel system was full of 2-stroke oil. That was a nice surprise, but the new pump is $400.
As far as ethanol in the fuel system, it will destroy an alumnium fuel tank (and carb bowl)if the ethanol and gas is allowed to seperate. Use a fuel stabilizer to prevent phase seperation of fuel if the fuel will not be used within a reasonable amount of time.
Only experience I've had with 2-stroke oil in a car's fuel tank is some one dumping a bottle of 2-stroke oil in the fuel tank of an unsuspecting person (cruel joke) and following the "trouble shooting" procedure.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't know enough about this to have an opinion as to whether this is a good or bad thing to do, but I wiil share what I know as it relates to 2 stroke engines. I ran Torco GP7 2 stroke full synthetic oil in my 200 HP Evinrude engine. I chose that oil, because it was an ashless formula. The byproducts of combustion were water vapor and a gaseous compound. I sold that engine with many hours of use, and it had perfect compression, at a time when carbon buildup on the rings was a big problem in those engines. If I was going to use 2 stroke oil as an additive in my C5 fuel tank, I would use that oil or something similar.

Last edited by Greg_E; 03-15-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:56 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why is there even a mention of diesel or 2 stroke engines? They operate completely different from a 4 stroke engine.Folks here complain about oil residue in their intakes all the time,why would you add oil to the fuel?
Old 03-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Old Horsepower
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Marvel has phosphorus in it. Bad for cats.
Really? I've been using it for years and 100's of thousands of miles in my LS1's and never had a problem. I think it really does save my cylinders and rings too. I never burn any oil.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:23 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Horsepower
Really? I've been using it for years and 100's of thousands of miles in my LS1's and never had a problem. I think it really does save my cylinders and rings too. I never burn any oil.
I could always be wrong. I could be thinking about ATF.
It may be even better than what I'm talking about.
But it would also be more expensive than 9.4 cents an ounce.

Then again, thousands of people smoke and never get cancer.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:25 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rebelheart
Why is there even a mention of diesel or 2 stroke engines? They operate completely different from a 4 stroke engine.Folks here complain about oil residue in their intakes all the time,why would you add oil to the fuel?
The oil mist in the intake contaminates the air charge. The miniscule amount of 2 stroke oil in the gas is to lubricate the fuel system and displace any moisture attracted by the ethanol in the gas to prevent corrosion.

All TCW-3 rated 2 stroke oils are ashless and burn completely.

Quick Reply: Marine 2 cycle oil --> ethanol gas