C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help removing front spring adjuster bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:38 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Help removing front spring adjuster bolts

Bought a set of used C5 Z51 springs (front and rear) and while the springs themselves are in good shape the front spring adjuster bolts are in bad shape. They are rusted, the end of the bolt is chewed up as if the previous owner was using a pipe wrench to turn them. So bad that I cannot get a wrench on the ends as they are almost totally rounded off. Even if I could it looks like the bolts are seized in place by the rust.
So I quickly found out that GM will not sell just the bolts, and I either have to replace them with some used stocks ones I can find, or possibly swap them with the ones that will be on my base spring if they are in good shape (have not looked yet) or get some aftermarket bolts from one of the lowering kits for sale.
The question is how to go about removing the chewed up ones from the spring without damaging the spring or the threads in the spring? I have sprayed the bolts with some penetrating oil right now to see if that will break them free. I was thinking of drilling through the bolt so I could slip a rod through it to use as a lever to turn the bolt, or try to file flats in the top of the bolt so I could get an adjustable wrench on it. It is at least easier to work on the bolts with the spring out of the car. Any thoughts would be welcomed.
Also, the rubber mounting pads on the Z51 springs are a little scuffed but look ok, but I was wondering can they be replaced?
Thanks.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:30 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Soak/spray w/PB Blaster for two days.

After such time, take a pipe wrench & turn the adjuster screw out by turning the adjuster from the rubber pad end.
If it seems to not want to budge, apply a small amount of heat to the adjuster , bearing in mind that the spring is f/glass.
Good luck.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:49 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

You could weld a nut on the damaged end of the adjustment bolt for more secure grip. Then careful use with an (lower torque setting) impact to break it free of the rust.

Before that, apply liberal amounts of PB BLASTER to the little trough on the top side of the adjustment bolt. Allow it to seep through over time. When you see it seeping through on the bottom side, it should be lubricated enough to remove.

Or, you might find that the insert/adjustment bolt are rusted together and no manner of separating them and that's why the previous owner sold them...
Old 03-25-2011, 02:28 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
You could weld a nut on the damaged end of the adjustment bolt for more secure grip. Then careful use with an (lower torque setting) impact to break it free of the rust.

Before that, apply liberal amounts of PB BLASTER to the little trough on the top side of the adjustment bolt. Allow it to seep through over time. When you see it seeping through on the bottom side, it should be lubricated enough to remove.

Or, you might find that the insert/adjustment bolt are rusted together and no manner of separating them and that's why the previous owner sold them...
I will try the PB Blaster and see what happens. I know the previous owner upgraded to Z06 springs so dont think he maliciously sold the Z51 knowing the bolt would not come out. Besides at the price i got them for the rear spring is worth it by itself. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:01 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

I really don't think you will have a problem removing the adjusters.
Main thing is give it plenty of time to let that PB Blaster work into the threaded area from both sides
You could order an after market adjuster bolt, while your taking the time to remove the old adj.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:37 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bumble-z
I really don't think you will have a problem removing the adjusters.
Main thing is give it plenty of time to let that PB Blaster work into the threaded area from both sides
You could order an after market adjuster bolt, while your taking the time to remove the old adj.
soaking them now in PB. Have ordered the kit, though I was not looking to lower the car. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:56 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Where is the spring that you took off your car?
Was it was setting at close to the ride height that you like?
If so, measure the old adjuster from the bottom of the spring to the bottom of the adjuster.
Set the new adjuster @ the same measurement.
The car will be setting close to what is was before.
(You can set aftermarket adjusters, to get stock C/5 ride height)

Last edited by bumble-z; 03-25-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:13 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If/when you get the oem bolts out, HARDBAR USA has a set of stainless bolts with Delrin ends that allow for more adjustment while still retaining a cushion of sorts between the spring and control arm.

It's not inexpensive, but it won't rust and the Delrin end is removable for future R&R...

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...products_id=41
Old 03-25-2011, 05:36 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I cut mine off close to the spring with a 3" cutoff wheel in a die-grinder. Then, I turned on the bushing end with a small pipe wrench. They came out pretty easily. Replaced them with a set from a lowering kit, which will still give you lots of ride height adjsutability.

Peter
Old 03-25-2011, 05:54 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by alxltd1
soaking them now in PB. Have ordered the kit, though I was not looking to lower the car. Thanks.
I have some front bolts with the rubber boot on it if you are interested. They are in great shape and once you get the old ones out, you can screw these in behind them.

Micah
Old 03-25-2011, 06:18 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mph1972
I have some front bolts with the rubber boot on it if you are interested. They are in great shape and once you get the old ones out, you can screw these in behind them.

Micah

alxtd1,...
If these are the original stock adjusters & the top sides are in good shape to where you can get a wrench on them to adjust, you
would be right back to the original adjuster set up.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:04 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mph1972

Micah
Originally Posted by bumble-z
alxtd1,...
If these are the original stock adjusters & the top sides are in good shape to where you can get a wrench on them to adjust, you
would be right back to the original adjuster set up.
Thanks guys you have all been very helpful. Plan right now is to get the adjusters out of the Z51 spring first. I looked up under my front spring this evening and the adjusters on the base spring look to be in very good shape. So I will attempt to remove them and re-install in the Z spring measuring them so as to achieve the same height as was stock. I can always sell the lowering kit.
Thanks again. The springs will be going in with a set of C6 Z06 shocks and C6 Z51 sway bars and new metal end links. Hopefully this set up will produce significant handling improvements without too harsh/stiff a ride.

Last edited by alxltd1; 03-26-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:55 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the PB tip.

I have the same problem with the adjusting bolts on my spring. Any hints on removing the spring so I can change adjusting bolts?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:28 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by flynhi
Thanks for the PB tip.

I have the same problem with the adjusting bolts on my spring. Any hints on removing the spring so I can change adjusting bolts?
Check out this link:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-swap-out.html

Get notified of new replies

To Help removing front spring adjuster bolts

Quick Reply: Help removing front spring adjuster bolts