C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Bezel Broke!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 09:59 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyL32
If the reason why these bezels are breaking ( mine is broken to ) is the seat foam is breaking down, won't a new one just break as well?
My original one lasted 14 years - the replacement has been on for more than 4 years. It probably will fail again at some point, just due to extra pressure on the sides of the seat cushion when you get in and out. But if it lasts as well as the original, the car will probably have died around it by then!
Old 05-18-2016, 12:59 PM
Frank4202
Melting Slicks

Received 401 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Sorry, but there was/is no hole through the cover and the cushion, and the bezel that came off did not have that pin molded in.

Mine is an early build car - 4th day of '98 production, so as I said, they may well have modified the design over time.
My 97 also did not have a pin hole. I ended up drilling a hole in the seat frame.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:37 PM
Tru Blu
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 69
You may find this thread helpful.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...shion-fix.html

Cheers,
Goose
Just replaced mine. Of course it is easier to have the seat on your workbench to do this but you don't have to remove the seat to replace the bezel. Another thread mentioned using a crochet hook to remove the spring clip on the lever and yes it works great for that. I found the toughest part was lining up the hole for the front screw when I put the new bezel on, as you cant see it under the upholstery. Ended up using my crochet hook as a guide, placed the screw hole/tube over the hook, held the bezel in place, removed the hook, then put the screw in. It helps if you pull up on the seat cushion too. Don't remove the molded post unless for some reason you absolutely have to. I'm sure it gives it a lot more strength.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:02 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Not looking to be cheap but from $13.88 and change plus shipping to $39.00 plus shipping this part is going to cost about $50 for a piece of plastic. I think I will try to repair mine first. It broke where the front screw goes into it otherwise it looks like brand new on a car with only 37k miles on it.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:51 PM
Tru Blu
Instructor

Originally Posted by ffas23
Not looking to be cheap but from $13.88 and change plus shipping to $39.00 plus shipping this part is going to cost about $50 for a piece of plastic. I think I will try to repair mine first. It broke where the front screw goes into it otherwise it looks like brand new on a car with only 37k miles on it.
Did you try your local dealer parts counter? Surprisingly, mine had them in stock didn't even have to order them in. Dirt cheap and no shipping charge.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:42 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tru Blu
Did you try your local dealer parts counter? Surprisingly, mine had them in stock didn't even have to order them in. Dirt cheap and no shipping charge.
My local Chevy Dealer is a rip off. They have always been higher priced on parts then anyone else going back to the early 70's for me. Just curious what do you mean by dirt cheap and how long ago was it that you purchased one?
Old 04-05-2017, 11:57 AM
Tru Blu
Instructor

Originally Posted by ffas23
My local Chevy Dealer is a rip off. They have always been higher priced on parts then anyone else going back to the early 70's for me. Just curious what do you mean by dirt cheap and how long ago was it that you purchased one?
Normally I would agree with you on dealers but I have had a couple of cases where the dealer actually had the best deal (another one was a new hood liner). I can't find the receipt now but I believe it was maybe around $5? i bought it about 6 months ago. Anyway, after these experiences I always at least go check before I order online. Might be worth a try you never know.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:20 PM
earlyseventy6
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My local dealership tried charging me 32.00 for a small bottle of Touch-up paint. After me ranting a little, i got it for 20.00 plus tax. it`s like they want to see if your stupid enough to pay what they want..
Old 04-06-2017, 10:55 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Mine is high on everything including New Cars. I tried to purchase from them plenty of times. They just don't like to compete. Being in the Auto Parts business 38 years and retiring I heard it from all the Repair Garages that when they need GM Parts they were the worse to deal with as far as Price goes. They are higher then all the rest. When I had my parts store back in the late 70's I needed jets for a carburator that I could not buy in the aftermarket so I gave my local dealer a call to get them. They charged me over list price for them to my parts store. How did I know. I had the dealer price sheets on carb and parts prices I was suppose to charge my customers. They charged me over the price I was suppose to charge customers for them. The last thing I tried to buy from them was back in '81-'82 believe it or not. I wanted a quote on Factory Side Exhaust at the time to put on my C3. Side exhaust was pretty cheap back then. They quoted the highest price around. Two other dealers within 10 miles quoted me cheaper prices by a couple of hundred dollars. I called my local dealer and told them what I was quoted elsewhere and they tell me they have no idea how the other dealers could quote me those prices. Of course I order the set up from one of the other dealers with the best price on them. Been at it for a long time. What ever I could of purchased through my business in the aftermarket I did.

Last edited by ffas23; 04-06-2017 at 11:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Seat Bezel Broke!