C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Cond, Heater Problem, need ADVICE Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 09:23 AM
ronnie948
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Air Cond, Heater Problem, need ADVICE Help!!!

My air conditioning is cold on the drivers and center vent, The air is Hot coming out of the passenger vent. The control **** for passenger comfort does nothing. If I turn it to the blue Cold the air still stays hot.
My 99HVAC codes are:
U 1160 H
B 0363 H
B 0367 H
B 0446 H
they are all reading H.
As some of You that read my post on my dealer power window repair cost me $1.386.00 because the mechinic does not know what He is doing and just replaces everything at any cost until the problem is fixed.I call it (TRY & ERROR )
If anyone has been through this please let me know what part needs replacing so I don't have to pay for 6 diffrent things I do not need.
We only have the one dealer here in Daytona and He calls his self A large Corvette Dealer.

Last edited by ronnie948; 11-12-2005 at 08:05 AM. Reason: recieved no answer because of forum downtime
Old 11-28-2005, 11:59 AM
FinaVette
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Problem

I am going through the same thing right now, I have had the car in once and they said it was from turning the **** too quickly. Evidently there is a GM bulletin on the problem. However, the next day the problem happened again even after I slowly turned the ****. I am taking it back tomorrow, let you know of the result...
Old 11-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

There is a fuse that you can pull to get the air door to re-calibrate it self. The easiest thing to do is disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for a few minutes and then re-connect it.

See if that does it. While the battery is disconnected, clean the terminals and torque it back on to 11 ft/lbs.

Hope that does the trick for you.

BC
Old 02-28-2006, 09:34 PM
NYYankee1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
There is a fuse that you can pull to get the air door to re-calibrate it self. The easiest thing to do is disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for a few minutes and then re-connect it.

See if that does it. While the battery is disconnected, clean the terminals and torque it back on to 11 ft/lbs.

BC

I was just curious to see if this fixed either of the problems mentioned above? I am having the EXACT same problem now...

Pulled the 2 fuses mentioned in another post (haven't tried the battery thing... but will) and now the a/c on the passenger's side blows a little cooler (before it was heater-hot... now it's outside-air-temp) but still not nearly as cold as the driver's side.

Also, before pulling the fuses, I had no codes on the DIC. After pulling the fuses, I have B0446 H&C? (Which indicates the Right Actuator is out of range).

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if I do need to replace the actuator?

Thanks for any help!
Tanya
Old 02-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Dave00C5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

BC
Reset the door and all might be well.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:01 PM
NYYankee1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dave00C5
Reset the door and all might be well.
Great! I'll give that a try tonight.

Thanks again!
Old 03-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Dave00C5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NYYankee1
I was just curious to see if this fixed either of the problems mentioned above? I am having the EXACT same problem now...

Pulled the 2 fuses mentioned in another post (haven't tried the battery thing... but will) and now the a/c on the passenger's side blows a little cooler (before it was heater-hot... now it's outside-air-temp) but still not nearly as cold as the driver's side.

Also, before pulling the fuses, I had no codes on the DIC. After pulling the fuses, I have B0446 H&C? (Which indicates the Right Actuator is out of range).

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if I do need to replace the actuator?

Thanks for any help!
Tanya
I've had this happen, i'd try a few battery disconnects to try to reset the door properly before spending money on a actuator. Mine has been fine for over 3 years after the reset. Good Luck.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:25 PM
MikeP
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

What number fuse do we pull to reset the Havc doors? Are these fuse's located @ the fuse panel adjacent to the battery? If you can give a number I'll look them up in the manual.

Thanks

M ike
Old 03-02-2006, 06:20 AM
bobc997615
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to the DIC & cleared the codes with the IPC, my actuators would cycle (in calibration mode?) and you can see if the codes reset without having to pull the fuses.

If pulling fuses, I would pull #27("HVAC" in cover listing)first. You can check inside the fuse box cover (passenger footwell) for the fuse# listing.

If you pull #18?("HVAC" in cover listing), it wipes out your memory settings (if you have that option) & key FOB lock/unlock. You'll have to reset you key fobs by holding the lock & unlock buttons down until the horn beeps.

On my 99 vert, the LH actuator was stuck/seized. The hub that drives the ventilation door is "pressed" into the output gear in the actuator. That gear was "split" causing the binding & lack of appropriate calibration travel.

If you need to replace the LH actuator, I have an "easier" method to replace the little beast than what the service manual explains.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:03 AM
boost2much
Pro

Originally Posted by bobc997615

If you need to replace the LH actuator, I have an "easier" method to replace the little beast than what the service manual explains.
Can you tell me the easier method to replace the LH actuator. I think I need to replace mine.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:39 AM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 03-10-2006, 05:40 AM
bobc997615
Racer

Dual Zone LH Actuator Replacement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changed my LH actuator in my 99 vert, I used a different procedure from the GM service manual. I did not remove the instrument cluster & dash pad.

I went underneath from the driver side footwell, moved drivers seat all the way back.

1) remove the upper footwell trim panel, (2) push-in barb connectors and a stupid steel push nut on a steel post holds in in place, remove the footwell light from panel. The knee bolster can stay in place

2) remove the (2) screws that hold the Bose Amp and lower to floor

3) with a light, looking up into the dash, about where the ignition switch should be, you can see the air muffler for the air cabin air temp sensor (1 1/2" dia x 2" long, surrounded in nasty/oily foam! ). Just to the left of that is the LH actuator. You have to remove the muffler to gain access to the actuator attachemnt screws.

4) remove the air muffler from the plastic ductwork (wiggle & pull apart)

5) remove (2) screws that hold the LH actuator to the heater case, it's a 7/32" hex (if I remember right)

6) slide actuator off control shaft.

7) remove connector

8) reach up & rotate control shaft just to make sure it's free to move

9) slide out from under dash/footwell to catch your breath! (I slid out about a dozen times to grab various tools)

10) have a beer

Reverse procedure to assemble.

Took about 1 hour.

My LH actuator, after further disassembly, had a cracked/split output gear. The actuator hub is press fit into this nylon gear. This bound up the geartrain preventing end-to-end calibration.

The little buggers (actuators retail) cost about $180. I bought a complete set of actuators & vacuum pulls off Ebay for $40. BTW, the LH & RH actuators are the same.

It's not fun going under there, but it was alot less trouble for me than removing the dash pad, gage cluster, console & center bezel.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:10 PM
NYYankee1
Intermediate

I just wanted to thank everyone for the responses to this thread! This forum and the members are the best!!

After following all of the reset procedures, my AC on the passenger side is no longer blowing hot... but it's not quite AC-cold, either. I'm going to try to recharge the system this weekend and see if that does the trick.

In the meantime...at least the air's not hot any longer!!

Thanks again to all!
Tanya
Old 03-10-2006, 01:35 PM
AFBombdude
Racer

Originally Posted by NYYankee1
I just wanted to thank everyone for the responses to this thread! This forum and the members are the best!!

After following all of the reset procedures, my AC on the passenger side is no longer blowing hot... but it's not quite AC-cold, either. I'm going to try to recharge the system this weekend and see if that does the trick.

In the meantime...at least the air's not hot any longer!!

Thanks again to all!
Tanya
Did you do the battery reset or the fuses stated above? Thanks!

Last edited by AFBombdude; 03-10-2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:48 PM
NYYankee1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AFBombdude
Did you do the battery reset or the fuses? If you did the fuses, which ones and where are they? Thanks!
Actually, I did both!

The fuses were #'s 18 and 27 (inside the car - under the panel in the passenger side footwell). I tried pulling the fuses first (don't think that matters any... it's just what I tried first).

Good luck!
Tanya
Old 03-10-2006, 02:00 PM
bobc997615
Racer

Before I replaced the LH actuator, the actuator would reset & stick in a different position. Codes 0363 * 0441 would still be set in the DIC. That would cause a change in the output temp but turning the temp **** would not change air temp output once it "stuck".
Old 03-10-2006, 02:20 PM
AFBombdude
Racer

LH actuator, here I come.

bobc997615,
The split gear wasn't repairable with an adhesive?

Get notified of new replies

To Air Cond, Heater Problem, need ADVICE Help!!!

Old 03-10-2006, 11:03 PM
bobc997615
Racer

Let's put it this way. The white "nylon" output gear is about 1 1/8" in diameter. The "split" at the gear created a gap of about 1/16" at the tooth pitch diameter . I would hate to try to glue the split back together, press the aluminum hub back in, reinstall the actuator, then have in break at a later time and have to go back under the dash to replace it again

I should have taken a picture of the split gear before I chucked the actuator assembly.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:35 PM
AFBombdude
Racer

Originally Posted by bobc997615
Let's put it this way. The white "nylon" output gear is about 1 1/8" in diameter. The "split" at the gear created a gap of about 1/16" at the tooth pitch diameter . I would hate to try to glue the split back together, press the aluminum hub back in, reinstall the actuator, then have in break at a later time and have to go back under the dash to replace it again

I should have taken a picture of the split gear before I chucked the actuator assembly.
You don't happen to have the part number from the actuator do ya? I am trying to order one.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:22 PM
bobc997615
Racer

CJ2 (Dual Zone Climate Control)

PN 1613982

$82.73 + shipping from GM PARTS DIRECT but check other vendors.

Quick Reply: Air Cond, Heater Problem, need ADVICE Help!!!