C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which HID conversion Kit to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 02:27 PM
CROOZ1N
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Which HID conversion Kit to buy?

JW motoring and corvettemods both have Kits. Jw's are slightly higher.
Anyone compared the two to see if one stands above the other?
Same with fogs and switchbacks... Any difference?
Old 04-19-2011, 03:33 PM
DAV162
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have JW and they are great
Old 04-19-2011, 04:52 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

We've been selling all mentioned products for 2 years now. I'm sure more of our customers will chime in.

These lighting mods were extensively tested on forum members cars before being brought to market.

Oh yeah we also show you what you are buying from us.

You will be 100% satisfied with your purchase from JWM
Old 04-19-2011, 05:15 PM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

For what it's worth I've heard NOTHING be good things about JW's products and service. That's the route I'd suggest.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:56 PM
CROOZ1N
Instructor

Ok so now upon further reading its been suggested by several that installing "conversions" in the stock housings is
a) a waste of Money
b) blinding to oncoming traffic
c) impossible to adjust properly and still use the Hi beams.

Anyone have a take on these items as well?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:05 PM
seoulbrooks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not use the stock headlight housings. They do not project the light correctly. Get some ACAs or other projector housings that cut the light off for proper projection and can be adjusted correctly. Ask me how I know........
Old 04-19-2011, 08:45 PM
CROOZ1N
Instructor

Thank you SeoulBrooks.
Anyone else want to chime in?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 PM
johnpowe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have replaced my stock headlights with HID's.
I orgianally just replaced the lows with a HID kit in the OEM assly.
They are better than the OEMs but the light is not focused properly and you may get flashed by oncoming drivers. Plus that setup is not street legal.
After a couple of months I became dissatisfied with the OEM/HID rig and bought some ACA's assblys.
Mine did NOT come with HID bulbs so I had to purchase new HIDs because the ACA's use H9 bulbs not the HID 9006. The assbly does not come with instructions, but is fairly easy to install. Your stock mounting brackets will need to be modified to put ACA's in them. There is a very good how-to thread on here with good pics to show what needs to be done. A couple of the ribs need to cut down so that the lights can be adjusted. If this isn't done the lights might not move enought to adjust properly and in trying to adjust you run the danger of breaking the adjusting rod.

The ACA's also came with the wiring harness to keep the lows on when you go to HI-Beams.
Also they came with a direct tap harness to power the HID's directly from the battery.
The install is easy, but for some oddball reason during my install I smoked checked a canceller and and when you let all the smoke out of a electrical part it don't work so good anymore. After that I wasn't sure the ballast and H9 bulb on that side was good, so I ordered a complete new HID H9 bulb kit. I ended up with extra parts, but extra parts usually come in handy sooner or later. I didn't put cancellers in the ACA setup because of the direct tap harness providing power directly from the battery and I am not getting any flickering from my lights. I also didn't have any problem with my lights not opening up.

You can find ACA's from a non-forum vendor for 300-350 without HIDs installed, meaning you will need to buy a HID kit also. I think you can find the ACA's with HIDs for 450-500. I doubt that You will have any tech support when you buy this way.

After all that, I have about the same amount invested as I would have spent just buying the JW setup plus you can get tech support from them also. You can save a few bucks if you go the way I did, minus the OEM/HID rig, and providing you don't have any problems or need to replace stuff. But if I was going to do it again I would go with one of the forum vendors and save myself some of the problems I had.
The Radioflyer has some really good looking setups also, but are higher in price also.

Bottom line with me is that the HID setup is 10 times better than the OEM and I think they look better, but certainly they provide a much safer enviroment for night driving.

Last edited by johnpowe; 04-19-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: added comments
Old 04-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by seoulbrooks
Do not use the stock headlight housings. They do not project the light correctly. Get some ACAs or other projector housings that cut the light off for proper projection and can be adjusted correctly. Ask me how I know........
I got my HID's from JWM about a year and a half ago,and they're working great,but I have been thinking lately about projector housings.
I know that auction site is the best place to get them-any particular seller better than others?,or are they all about the same?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:23 PM
CROOZ1N
Instructor

Thanks John
Maybe I'll wait for the next GP on a real HID setup from JW rather than do the conversion.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:31 AM
CROOZ1N
Instructor

with all these kits that have been purchased i thought there'd be more feedback?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:43 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

The plug n play stock sets are more for the guys just wanting some brighter lights without the expense of projectors.

True you won't have a nice projector beam.

Projectors of course are a little more $, but you get a true projector setup with high quality 55 watt HID kits (from us).

We offer them for $500 shipped on our site with any temp. Ours come with full directions and tech support in case you need it. I run these on my C5 so I have the experience the ebayers don't.

So it really just depends on what you're looking for and how much you want to spend.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:44 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

I do suggest fogs if you want to wait on the lows. They have a nice projector beam from the factory.

You will hate your lows though
Old 04-20-2011, 12:36 PM
CROOZ1N
Instructor

Thanks Jonathan.
I
ll keep that in mind. I am still doing research but i do like the way your projector setup looks.
Jonathan Are the Fog kits the same as the lows except for the need of the inline resistor? If not please explain.

Last edited by CROOZ1N; 04-20-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:24 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

if you are installing HID's, you are most likely going to hit some road blocks. make sure you buy the kit from some someone like JW motoring who offers great customer support.

Get notified of new replies

To Which HID conversion Kit to buy?

Quick Reply: Which HID conversion Kit to buy?