C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCS No Comm .....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 05:38 PM
ChopperLoco
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
I know this is an old post but it was very helpful my TC and ABS lights started coming on, but once and a while they didn't.

I did think it was the Traction control switch, but I was still checking things to make sure.

What I found was the ground next to the battery under the battery heat shield shown above by Bill Curlee in the second pic was super loose.

Thank you Mr Curlee you saved me quite a few hours of going crazy looking and testing.
Great stuff!!!
Old 05-09-2011, 03:02 PM
ChopperLoco
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Okay,voltage at the fuses is consistant with the battery-fuses are all good,checked all grounds and still no luck!
EBCM done?
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Dom
Old 06-02-2011, 10:32 AM
wfoZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 209 Posts

I had the exact same problem. Dead battery replaced and the same 1571.
u1040 loss of communication showing up. Grounds and fuses have been checked. Could it be a bad abs module? How could I verify and if it is, can it be repaired as outlined in a previous post by resoldering and replacing the relay or should it be sent in to ABSFixer?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WELL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, If you have all the power and all the grounds,,,,,, the NEXT place to check is the Main EBTCM Connector!

Remove the safety strip, pop the plug out by unlatching it and do voltage and ground checks at the connector.

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 06-02-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:05 AM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same this going on with my 02 Z06, it turned out to be a broken ground wire that ran under the main fuse block
Old 06-24-2011, 07:18 PM
7.56Z06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopperLoco
Thanks once again!
I miss-understood "clearing the codes",and have now done so.
Went for a drive-this is what i have:
10 PCM - P 1571 HC
TCS - No Comm
58SDM - U1040 HC
Any more thoughts?
Dom
This is EXACTLY what I just got after clearing mine and driving.

I'll start doing the things in the this thread but I'm such a newb...

Where are the EBTCM fuses and the Main EBTCM Connector?

Old 06-25-2011, 11:42 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 7.56Z06
This is EXACTLY what I just got after clearing mine and driving.

I'll start doing the things in the this thread but I'm such a newb...

Where are the EBTCM fuses and the Main EBTCM Connector?

The EBTCM main connector is in the attched the the ABS block driver side engine compartment up front of the motor.

Fuse box in the engine and passenger footwells.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:27 PM
7.56Z06
Advanced

Those grounds are clean and tight. Battery connections look like new.

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Have you physically checked each EBTCM fuse with a METER and varfied that there is the correct voltage on each fuse??

Make sure that you read the fuses powered by RUN in ON & Start with the ignition ON and make sure that those fuses read full battery voltage!

BC
How are you measuring voltage across these push-in fuses? Pull them out slightly and measure voltage across? Seems like if you can't trust the way they look a continuity check would work?

Also, is it just Fuses 5, 6, and 52? (that's all I see in those schematics)

WELL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, If you have all the power and all the grounds,,,,,, the NEXT place to check is the Main EBTCM Connector!

Remove the safety strip, pop the plug out by unlatching it and do voltage and ground checks at the connector.

BC
I don't really know how to read schematics... I should probably just take it to the dealership but I want to learn to work on it myself

Voltage: Am I looking for ~12.6V at the red wire, ?? ignition voltage at the brown wire, and 5V? at the light blue wire?

Ground Checks: Is this a continuity check from the connector to the ground point at 108?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Well,,,,,,,,,,,, do you ACTUALLY have battery voltage on ALL the EBTCM fuses????

BC
Old 12-24-2013, 06:19 PM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i'm having the exact same issue the original poster had. did anyone ever find a solution to this??
Old 12-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Well,,, Here is how to figure out your issue. Your module needs FOUR things to work

- All the required 12.VDC power supplies, There are multiple fused circuits)
- All the required GROUNDS
- Ability to communicate on the serial data line
- All the proper inputs/outputs

Use the schematics provided and measure the supplied voltage on each module FUSE. On the TOP of each fuse are two small slots. Those are test slots. Measure each slot to chassis ground You should see battery voltage. Some require the ignition to be switched to ON to be powered.

Disconnect the main connector and read the grounds wires for proper continuity to chassis ground. You can also use battery ground. Should be close to ZERO OHMS if the ground is proper.

With the ignition ON, when the EBTCM messages pop up, without switching OFF the ignition read the DTCs using the DIC internal code reader. If the messages prevent you from reading the DTCs. Press RESET until all the messages go away. Then read the DTCs

The DTCs will tell you what the module is complaining about.

If you get NO COMMS, the electronics in the module isn't working. Either its bad or not powered up.

Serial Data. If you have an issue on the serial data line, other modules will also tell you. When you read the DTCs, always include the DTCs for all the other modules. It will help you under stand if there are problems somewhere else that is preventing the proper operation of the EBTCM.

If you cant read meters and schematics, find a friend that can and teach you how.

Bill
Old 12-25-2013, 02:58 PM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Well,,,

If you get NO COMMS, the electronics in the module isn't working. Either its bad or not powered up.

Serial Data. If you have an issue on the serial data line, other modules will also tell you. When you read the DTCs, always include the DTCs for all the other modules. It will help you under stand if there are problems somewhere else that is preventing the proper operation of the EBTCM.

Bill
Bill,
I am getting "28-tcs no comm" how can I get the system to power up? A few weeks ago I took the ebcm apart and re soldered it in order to get rid of the "service traction control" and "service ABS" and they worked perfectly until now all of a sudden I am getting this no comm code after leaving my car parked a few days and coming back to a dead battery. The battery tested 100%
Old 12-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Read each fuse to ground and make sure that there is positively proper voltage on each fuse. Just because you have a good fuse, doesnt mean that there is power on to that fuse.

BC
Old 12-25-2013, 04:25 PM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Bill, thanks for taking the time to help me out and happy holidays! I'm going nuts over here. Just so were on the same page..

I am supposed to be focusing on engine fuse block fuse #s
5 (anti-lock brakes, selective ride control)
52 (anti lock brakes)
53 (anti-lock brakes electronics)
right??

What is the proper voltage that each is supposed to have?

Which grounds go to the ebtcm?

Is it possible that I overpowered some ground wire by turning the car on while the battery was still connected to the charger??

Thanks!
Old 12-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

EVERY fuse in your car, protects a battery supplied circuit. The battery at rest, (key off, engine off) will be 12 VDC..

A brand new fully charged battery will be somewhere around 12.3 VDC

SO,,, if like " 8VETTE7 " recommended,, you read the voltage at the battery terminals and you get 11.96 VDC,,, you SHOULD see something close to that reading on each battery buss supplied fuse.

Some fuses are ONLY HOT or powered when the IGNITION SWITCH is in the ON/RUN position.

The ignition switch contains SIX individual switches. When a switch OPENS & CLOSES it makes a small spark. Each time it does that, it leaves a carbon deposit on the switch contact. That carbon build up over time causes resistance between those contacts.

IF,, you read an IGNITION SWITCH supplied fuse,, it is possible that the reading that you see will be MUCH less than the supplied battery voltage because of the DIRTY switch contacts.
You might for instance have 12.2 VDC Battery voltage at the switch but see 8 VDC on the ignition switch supplied output circuit.

The module will NOT function on 8 VDC... You would have to clean or replace the switch to fix the low voltage issue.

To figure out if you have a voltage issue,,, you have to physically read the voltage supplied to each FUSE IN THE CIRCUITS THAT ARE HAVING AN ISSUE!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 12-25-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:22 PM
sam-garcia
Instructor

thanks for your responses, will do this asap.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:35 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Old thread, but figured an update to MY problem and its solution can be beneficial to others.

I had four codes present: p1277, p1689, 1040, and 1571 and occasional TCS No Comm. They were random in nature and would appear at different times.

By doing Bill's checks suggested above with a multimeter, I realized that ABS fuse #5 in the engine compartment fuse panel was only sometimes reading voltage. But the fuse looked fine and was not burned out. I replaced with a new 10A one and the problems went away. To make sure that it was the cause, I turned ignition ON with the new fuse removed. Same TCS no comm ABS light came on.

Hope that it will solve my issues, but I guess time will tell. Have an autox event this coming Sunday. Ultimate litmus test!

Get notified of new replies

To TCS No Comm .....

Old 06-17-2017, 05:36 PM
lior
4th Gear

Well,,, Here is how to figure out your issue. Your module needs FOUR things to work

- All the required 12.VDC power supplies, There are multiple fused circuits)
- All the required GROUNDS
- Ability to communicate on the serial data line
- All the proper inputs/outputs

Use the schematics provided and measure the supplied voltage on each module FUSE. On the TOP of each fuse are two small slots. Those are test slots. Measure each slot to chassis ground You should see battery voltage. Some require the ignition to be switched to ON to be powered.

Disconnect the main connector and read the grounds wires for proper continuity to chassis ground. You can also use battery ground. Should be close to ZERO OHMS if the ground is proper.

With the ignition ON, when the EBTCM messages pop up, without switching OFF the ignition read the DTCs using the DIC internal code reader. If the messages prevent you from reading the DTCs. Press RESET until all the messages go away. Then read the DTCs

If you cant read meters and schematics, find a friend that can and teach you how.

Bill
On the main connector is wire #27 "Sensor Ground" supposed to read 0 ohms?
Old 06-25-2017, 04:24 PM
sam-garcia
Instructor

I ended up replacing the ABS module. Some guy on craigslist specialized in repairing them. I took him mine and he gave me one from some other corvette for like $60 if I remember correctly. Never had any kind of issues with ABS or traction control after that.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:52 AM
Riverside California
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill, I followed your instructions above. Fuse 5 has very low voltage 26mV. All other fuses had battery voltage. What should I check next?

Quick Reply: TCS No Comm .....