C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheating problem on 1999 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:37 PM
josalmeri
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating problem on 1999 corvette

I am having a overheating problem, no water pump leaks, but bearing are making a hell of a racket, will replace, my question is should the cooling fan continue to run on these models after engine is turned off. I have noticed that leaking only occurs after engine is turned off, only leaks from overflow tank cap. any advice would be greatly appreciated before I tear it down.
Thanks.
ps wear is best place to purchase a GOOD water pump, and is thermostat integrated into pump housing.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:08 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Cooling fans do NOT run unless the engine is running on the C5.

If you are getting coolant out of the surge tank cap when you turn it off, the seal in the cap MIGHT be bad. Or the heat sink effect of the engine without anything attempting to reduce the engine temp is causing more than the 15 or 18lbs of pressure the cap can hold. i would also closely inspect the barbs on the plastic surge tank. Thes get brittle with heat and age. If there is leaking going on there you need yo replace the tanl as no one has successfully repaired them.

I'd also get the nose of the car up in the air and look up into the pocket that contains the radiator and AC condenser. Probably have a lot of crap stuck onto the front of the radiator. These cars are bottom feeders and suck up everything on the road including plastic bags, sand, grass, small dogs, etc.

Clean the big stuff out by hand and use a garden hose from the engine side to push out the remainder from back to front. Going in the other direction will serve to lodge it further into the radiator fins.

Most replacement water pumps will be the style used on the 2003 and newer cars. Direct bolt on fit.

although you can have the fans turned on to run after for a minute or whatever you want with HP tuners...I have mine setup to do that although now with the 160 stat I have seen less of a need. The reason is my blower (Maggie) adds to the heat so anything I can do is helpful here in Florida

I bought my last 2 waterpump's for both C5's and t-stats from Gene Culley gmpartshouse.com FWIW

Quick Reply: overheating problem on 1999 corvette