C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake handle seems broken...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 03:28 PM
7.56Z06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake handle seems broken...

My parking brake handle doesn't "click" and stay up anymore.
My driveway has a slight incline. Car idling on the driveway; if I pull the handle up the car remains stopped but when I let go the handle falls and the car starts rolling.

The pictures toward the bottom here....

http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...brake_h_b.html

....look like the parking brake handle is a sealed unit and this is not something I can fix. Do I have to buy a replacement parking brake handle?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Peel up the boot,and check the "pawl" that ratchets on the "sawtooth looking"(for want of it's real name)curved part of the mechanism-the pawl's pivot point may be dirty or rusty so the button pushes it up,but then it sticks there,instead of dropping down and "biting in" and holding the brake cable tight.
Something could very well be broken in there,but I'd check everything for freedom of movement before spending money on a replacement mechanism...
Old 05-30-2011, 10:11 PM
7.56Z06
Advanced

Thanks,
That part of the mechanism must be visible when the actual handle is removed?

I must say that it seems slightly crazy that the center console has to be so torn apart to unBOLT the parking brake boot.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:19 AM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

It's easier if you remove the passenger seat. Look for dried up and hardened grease clogging the mechanism and teeth. You may get it going again using brake cleaner or something similar to get the grease off it. Smells so nice in the cabin too.

Once it's working you can use the lubricant of your choice.
The following users liked this post:
Jacklane322 (09-26-2015)
Old 05-31-2011, 07:07 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

check out this members web page'''

http://www.ronjpics.com/Corvettestuff.htm#parkbrake

look at both the pawl service and the brake adjustment 4 & 5
Old 08-10-2011, 02:16 PM
7.56Z06
Advanced

Finally got around to this....

The pawl on the outside of the parking brake handle drops in place just fine. The little internal pawl, however, doesn't. Everyone agree that the internal spring needs to be looped around the metal tab?? (3rd photo) I can't see how I'll be able to fix that??

parking brake lever:
Name:  DSC_0019.jpg
Views: 7271
Size:  128.9 KB

small pawl that locks the handle up:
Name:  DSC_0021.jpg
Views: 4033
Size:  43.0 KB

spring that I think needs to be looped around the metal tab:
Name:  spring_tab.jpg
Views: 6332
Size:  100.5 KB

Last edited by 7.56Z06; 08-10-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 PM
tramminc
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 7.56Z06
Finally got around to this....

The pawl on the outside of the parking brake handle drops in place just fine. The little internal pawl, however, doesn't. Everyone agree that the internal spring needs to be looped around the metal tab?? (3rd photo) I can't see how I'll be able to fix that??

parking brake lever:

small pawl that locks the handle up:

spring that I think needs to be looped around the metal tab:
that's not part of the spring, it's a long rod to the trigger. it will need readjusting to work.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:02 PM
knyght4
Drifting

OK. I've done this TWICE. As you can see by looking at the trigger, it is attached to the medal rod, which is shown in the arrow in the pic.

The rod on mine straightened out and stopped engaging with the mechanism that the rod is wrapped around (you can hardly see it, since the stupid thing is in the handle - you can partially see it in the pic.

The inside mechanism engages with the outer piece that engages with the teeth on the handle.

So... you need to make sure the inside rod (red line) is wrapped nicely on the inside mech (blue outline).. Your's doesn't look as bad as mine. Move the mech left, so its on the left end of the hole, then use a small flathead screwdriver to get in the hole to help wrap the rod around the inner mech.

If its difficult to get at the rod, it is possible to pull the rod out from the trigger end. Just pull the spring so the trigger and rod end sticks out the handle, and pull gently at first. It can fight you, but keep pulling - harder if needed - and it will come out. Then you can bend the end of the rod as needed, and stick it back in.

Last edited by knyght4; 08-10-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:13 AM
7.56Z06
Advanced

THANK YOU!

I'm glad I didn't force that around that tab!

I can't hardly believe that thin rod is seriously supposed to stay wrapped around the inner pawl!?
Old 08-11-2011, 04:07 PM
7.56Z06
Advanced

Ok, so I tried for an hour and a half shaping that rod in different ways so it actually PULLS on the inner mechanism. NO DICE.

Any ideas where I can buy another parking brake handle assembly?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:01 PM
2slicks1vette
Pro

Originally Posted by 7.56Z06
Ok, so I tried for an hour and a half shaping that rod in different ways so it actually PULLS on the inner mechanism. NO DICE.

Any ideas where I can buy another parking brake handle assembly?
My parking brake doesn't stay up either. I will try bending the rod around the pawl a little tighter but I'd like to know about purchasing another one if I have to.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:05 PM
TorqueWinsRaces
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I just did this job. I found that when I pulled the wire out it straightened the big arc essentially making the whole thing too long. After reshaping the part that goes around the pall and re-arcing the wire it works great.

When it is the correct length the spring that holds the button will have a good amount of tension on it.

Thanks for this thread! Once again this site saved me a bunch of time and money.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:43 PM
BumbleZ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took the wire out of my assembly and tried reshaping it with no success. Did all of you guys succeed in fixing the wire or did some of you replace the assembly?
Old 07-30-2013, 06:27 AM
skymikee
2nd Gear

I never was able to get mine bent properly to work. I ended up replacing the entire assembly, and 1 year (& about 5,000 miles) later it's doing the same thing again. Grrrr!
Old 06-11-2015, 09:41 AM
killertiller
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

wtf so im digging this thread back from the dead...lol. I have literally put that rod back in place 20 times n it will work once or twice n pop back out. I think I need to know how the rod is bent up to the pawl. I think mines completely not shaped right. Im talking about how the wire from the button is bent in the lever assembly. I think even though I get it over pawl easily im not coming in at correct angle or something so its not stayn over pawl
Old 06-15-2015, 09:58 AM
skymikee
2nd Gear

killertiller

I felt your pain. I think that just pulling it out and pushing it back in changes the overall shape of the rod enough to make it too long even after bending the end back to correctly hang on the sprawl. The bends in a rod inside the handle needs to be perfect both from a profile view and top view (2 dimensions in the bend).

Normally I've found that once you take something apart and figure exactly how it works, it's not hard to fix... but to get it to that point you really need it out of the car and mounted in a vice or something, but by that point I personally just got so frustrated it was worth the $275 to just buy a new one!
Old 06-15-2015, 11:54 AM
killertiller
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally got it !!!!!! had to put alot of thought into how the bend should and the angle the rod needs to come into the pawl so it stays on instead of just putting it back together.
Originally Posted by skymikee
killertiller

I felt your pain. I think that just pulling it out and pushing it back in changes the overall shape of the rod enough to make it too long even after bending the end back to correctly hang on the sprawl. The bends in a rod inside the handle needs to be perfect both from a profile view and top view (2 dimensions in the bend).

Normally I've found that once you take something apart and figure exactly how it works, it's not hard to fix... but to get it to that point you really need it out of the car and mounted in a vice or something, but by that point I personally just got so frustrated it was worth the $275 to just buy a new one!
Old 08-07-2020, 05:46 PM
halversondm
3rd Gear

Just finished working through this issue. A few thoughts:
  • It’s odd that the rod would straighten given the strength of the metal. I’m not a puss, but the metal was hard to bend given the problem and application.
  • I didn’t read the owners manual, but based on the operation of the rod, tension on the rod, etc. I’m now going to pushing the button in to engage the brake. That seems to keep the rod from moving excessively and causing it to straighten.
  • I almost threw in the towel for a replacement. However I realize that a new one is a waste of money and a used one could have the exact same problem lurking. I would recommend trying to get a used one from an automatic car. You know that the e-brake wasn’t used much on a auto transmission car much.
  • You can fix this. It is at the end of the day metal to bend. There’s a lot to do to get there. However well worth the save in $.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:47 PM
Beater12
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

First post speaks of pushing the handle down to get out of the car. Curious how this works, does it still make the racheting sound when you pull it up. If it just pushes down how to you release it. Basically asking how it operates?

Get notified of new replies

To Parking brake handle seems broken...

Quick Reply: Parking brake handle seems broken...