C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 01:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Automatic transmission fluid change question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 07:06 PM
lvictores
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic transmission fluid change question.

I have never changed transmission fluid and I think it's time to do it on my 2000 automatic coupe and wanted to know if it's as easy as it looks. I just see one drain bolt on the bottom of the transmission. Do I just open , let it drain, and fill thru the same area or is there another plug nearby?
Thanks.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:58 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by lvictores
I have never changed transmission fluid and I think it's time to do it on my 2000 automatic coupe and wanted to know if it's as easy as it looks. I just see one drain bolt on the bottom of the transmission. Do I just open , let it drain, and fill thru the same area or is there another plug nearby?
Thanks.
Perhaps you should consider consulting the service manual. When filling, the correct transmission fluid level is achieved with the car running at operating temperature, in park and level. Kind of difficult to do without a lift or four jack stands. The fill port for the automatic is on the side of the case I believe.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Unless you have the proper procedure,, totally understand it and are able to do it.... I WOULDNT!

Just like ipuig stated,, its a very unique procedure. Drain and FILL with the engine running and at temp!!!

NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART! If not done correctly,, you risk a tranny rebuild!!

BC
Old 06-04-2011, 10:52 PM
lvictores
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Unless you have the proper procedure,, totally understand it and are able to do it.... I WOULDNT!

Just like ipuig stated,, its a very unique procedure. Drain and FILL with the engine running and at temp!!!

NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART! If not done correctly,, you risk a tranny rebuild!!

BC
Thanks for the info. I had seen a you tube video on a C5 manual transmission fluid change procedure and I assumed it would be similar on a manual transmission. Can this be done at a local transmission shop or do I need to take it to a dealership and does a filter have to be changed? Thanks.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

A manual Trans is a simple drain and refill..
Old 06-05-2011, 10:06 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its NOT eass, its impossible!

The only way you can change ALL the trani fluid in an A4 is to have the trani power-flushed by machine. The BEST you can do yourself is drop the pan, replace the gasket with new and then top off the trani - but ,that way, you've only changed aprox 4-5 quarts of the total trani fluid.

There's a great deal of debate on the forum as to the relative worth of power-flushing. Several members ascribe to the "if it ain't broke..." theory.Do a search, its been discussed a number of times.

How many miles on the car?
Old 06-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your Tranny is working good then bring it to the dealer or a good Tranny shop and do a regular Tranny service which consists of a simple fluid drain and refill, new filter and gaskets. If your not having trouble with your tranny then do not do a power flush, all that will do is dislodge small metal fragments from the internal components and cause problems you didnt have before. A regular tranny service will not drain all the fluid out, but you don't have to drain it all. Do the service now and do it again in another 20 to 30K miles and you'll be fine. Thats how I did my 2002 A4 and my Tranny is running great. Good luck bro!
Old 06-05-2011, 03:23 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You are creating extra work for yourself. It's not necessary, don't do it.

I've done it, the correct way, on jackstands, only because I added a deep trans pan with more oil capacity for racing. It's a huge pain, and even filling it correctly won't keep the fluid from belching out of the vent if it gets overheated.

You won't be doing yourself any functional help unless the fluid was contaminated from the coolant in the radiator.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:46 PM
lvictores
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
You are creating extra work for yourself. It's not necessary, don't do it.

I've done it, the correct way, on jackstands, only because I added a deep trans pan with more oil capacity for racing. It's a huge pain, and even filling it correctly won't keep the fluid from belching out of the vent if it gets overheated.

You won't be doing yourself any functional help unless the fluid was contaminated from the coolant in the radiator.
I thought since it has been about 2.5 years since I started the car and is a 2000 that it might be wise to change the transmission fluid as I have the car on 4 jackstands and I took every panel off the car along with radiator and fans as I had rodent infestation in multiple areas of the car. They chewed the wires to my fuel pump relay and a bunch of other tubes. When disconnecting the radiator and AC/fan piece the fluid coming out was darker than the coolant fluid normally is. Is this normal? and is there any other fluids apart from the oil that you guys suggest be changed before I try to put it back together.
Newbie question. Is there any connection between the transmission fluid area and the radiator and ac tube lines as the fluid that came out from the hoses looked a little oily. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:57 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

the trans cooler runs through the radiator, and that's the only way the two can contaminate each others systems. Coolant in the transmission will detroy it. The tranny fluid isn't something you need to worry about on a year by year basis. It isn't subject to combustion, and likely isn't subject to too high a temperature unless you are a racer. It's just a waste of time to worry about it imo.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Stevedore
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

I did my 98 a couple of years ago. Aside from slightly burning my arm on the exhaust while checking the level with the car running, the biggest problem I had was getting the filter out. The seal was left up in the passageway where the filter goes in, and I had to fab a sort of slide hammer puller thing to get it out. All in all, a fun time!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:12 PM
lvictores
Instructor

the trans cooler runs through the radiator, and that's the only way the two can contaminate each others systems. Coolant in the transmission will detroy it. The tranny fluid isn't something you need to worry about on a year by year basis. It isn't subject to combustion, and likely isn't subject to too high a temperature unless you are a racer. It's just a waste of time to worry about it imo.
Since I took out the radiator, fans and AC piece, I let whatever fluid drain out from the hoses that they were connected as I thought I was just letting the coolant out. If the trans cooler line drained whatever was in it, then will my transmission fluid be low and is there any way to measure it?
Thanks.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lvictores
Since I took out the radiator, fans and AC piece, I let whatever fluid drain out from the hoses that they were connected as I thought I was just letting the coolant out. If the trans cooler line drained whatever was in it, then will my transmission fluid be low and is there any way to measure it?
Thanks.
^you lost less than a quart, I promise. Add a half quart or a quart and you'll be fine. You'll be fine if you don't add anything at all either, I'm sure of it.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:43 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

You'll be fine if you don't add anything at all either, I'm sure of it.
Does that advice come with a replacement cost guarantee?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:49 PM
red-in-la
Instructor

Dragging this one up from the depths just 'cuz I'm new at this Corvette and automatic stuff.

Called two local Chevvy dealers. Both quoted around $200 to "flush" the transmission. $225 or so to drain it and change the filter. Flushing was the first thing out of both service writers mouths. One suggested alternating, flush one time, then drain with the filter the next.

My local transmission shop quoted me $190 to just drain. Said it would take him 3 hours to do it.

My Vette has 72k on it with no history. Kinda leaning towards the flush for my first service. No shifting problems, but I'm kinda annal about maintenance.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:58 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by red-in-la
Dragging this one up from the depths just 'cuz I'm new at this Corvette and automatic stuff.

Called two local Chevvy dealers. Both quoted around $200 to "flush" the transmission. $225 or so to drain it and change the filter. Flushing was the first thing out of both service writers mouths. One suggested alternating, flush one time, then drain with the filter the next.

My local transmission shop quoted me $190 to just drain. Said it would take him 3 hours to do it.

My Vette has 72k on it with no history. Kinda leaning towards the flush for my first service. No shifting problems, but I'm kinda annal about maintenance.
Flushing comes with mixed results, and many have experienced problems after flushing. Next time your service writer recommends a flush, ask him to show you the corvette service manual procedure for that task...

Have the shop do a fluid and filter change, and you're good to go.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:14 PM
f1reb1rd
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Default c5 Trand fluid change

Have done may before on older cars. 2004 corvette is something new. Had 100k. Measured amount taken out vice amount going back in. w/o dropping pan only if to changing filter. The plug is right at the bottom the the pan but was only able to get 55oz. When replacing fluid could only get 50oz back in. I am unaware if it had ever been done before i got the car so it was good insurance for me. The fluid was clean and mostly red. Good sign. Not as good as a power flush. even though i recommed that instead. Maybe next time. i power flushed my saturn and it made all the differance in the world. But what was important is water pump went bad and trans fluid does not handle heat like oil does so i wanted to change it. not as much change as i preferred but some is better than none. will run it for a while then maybe a power flush in the future. Just adding some feed back FYI.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:59 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After 40 yrs + of twisting wrenches, nothing is as simple as it looks. It cost so little to have a good tranny shop do it I have had it done every 30,000 miles on my C5 and I bought it new special order.

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic transmission fluid change question.

Quick Reply: Automatic transmission fluid change question.