C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft Brake Pedal Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:46 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Soft Brake Pedal Help

Here's the situation... I had to panic stop tonight to avoid running into someone that pulled out into traffic. Immediately after that the pedal went soft and the brakes won't engage until the pedal is 90% of the way to the floor.

Got home, checked for leaks and couldn't find any. Pulled codes and found none. Went to bleed brakes (two-person method) and the rear brakes will not bleed, but the front ones will. Also, with the rear bleeder screws open, the brake pedal will not go to the floor, but it will with the front bleeder screws open. Anybody have any suggestions as to what I should look at next?

Last edited by cdkcorvette7; 06-24-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:07 AM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

A long shot is it went into ICE mode. What were the road surface conditions like at the time. If it (ABS) goes into the ICE mode, your braking performance is 10% or less of normal.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:36 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Jnape
A long shot is it went into ICE mode. What were the road surface conditions like at the time. If it (ABS) goes into the ICE mode, your braking performance is 10% or less of normal.
Road was bone dry. The strangest part to me is that I can't get air or fluid out of the rear bleeder screws but I get all fluid (no air) from the front.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:50 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Bump
Old 06-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Sounds like the ABS Modulator isn't allowing any fluid flow to the rear brakes. This may not throw a code. A person on the C6 forums just had something similar happen and it took quite a while to debug the issue. Ended up replacing the BPMV.

Bill
Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

I was kind of afraid of that. I'm starting to think that module may be going bad... Today, after the car sat in a hot parking lot for about three hours the problem mysteriously vanished and the brake pedal became very firm and very high, then later after some driving the softness and long travel returned, although not as extreme as it was before.

Any suggestions as to how I might confirm it's the bpmv before I spend a chitload of money on a replacement? I hate just throwing parts at a problem without isolating it first...
Old 06-09-2011, 02:37 AM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

any chance that you just need to change the pads?

My rears gave no indication that they were worn out before it was too late.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:56 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7
I was kind of afraid of that. I'm starting to think that module may be going bad... Today, after the car sat in a hot parking lot for about three hours the problem mysteriously vanished and the brake pedal became very firm and very high, then later after some driving the softness and long travel returned, although not as extreme as it was before.

Any suggestions as to how I might confirm it's the bpmv before I spend a chitload of money on a replacement? I hate just throwing parts at a problem without isolating it first...

Get with someone that has a Tech2 and do the automated brake bleed procedure.

That will let you know if the pump is shot.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:17 AM
Old Horsepower
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a guess here. But it could just be in the master cylinder. The piston in there that moves when you step on brakes works front and back brakes as separate systems. It could be the seal for the rear went bad when you made the hard stop. Would also explain why you can't bleed rear. A rebuild kit or a new master cylinder might be all you need.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:54 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Got uid0
any chance that you just need to change the pads?

My rears gave no indication that they were worn out before it was too late.
I took one of the rear calipers off to check it out while I was trying to bleed the rear brakes and the pads looked good...

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Get with someone that has a Tech2 and do the automated brake bleed procedure.

That will let you know if the pump is shot.
Hmmm... surely I know SOMEBODY that has one of those... I know a shop is going to charge me at least $200 for that. Probably a limb and a promise to sign over my first-born child if I took it to a dealer.

Originally Posted by Old Horsepower
Just a guess here. But it could just be in the master cylinder. The piston in there that moves when you step on brakes works front and back brakes as separate systems. It could be the seal for the rear went bad when you made the hard stop. Would also explain why you can't bleed rear. A rebuild kit or a new master cylinder might be all you need.
I'm going to check that out tonight... I'd much rather replace the master cylinder than the BPMV and what you said about the seal blowing out under a heavy load (panic stop) makes sense to me. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2011, 11:01 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I have a Tech2 and I'm sure some of the shops around your way do too.

It's a really easy procedure to perform and should take less than an hour.

Just put it on a lift, take off the tires and run the procedure.

Heck of a lot better than a pump and cost of installation. Where is Oak Hill, VA ? Is it close to Washington, DC ?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:22 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

I have a Tech2 and I'm sure some of the shops around your way do too.

It's a really easy procedure to perform and should take less than an hour.

Just put it on a lift, take off the tires and run the procedure.

Heck of a lot better than a pump and cost of installation. Where is Oak Hill, VA ? Is it close to Washington, DC ?
I'm about 20 minutes outside of DC. I know a lot of the shops around here have them... I'm just trying to figure out if I know a person that has one. Either way I want to get this done today... it's driving me CRAZY.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:30 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

My brother lives in the DC Area and might be coming up this weekend, I could send hom home with mine.

I've only seen one brake master cylinder go bad on a C5 and it totally failed, (i.e. No Pedal at all). Luckily it happened right in front of my house ( I live on a dead end street).

Ended up replacing it and running the automated bleed procedure.

Have you tried the gravity method. Crack open your rear bleeders with the car jacked up ( higher in the front) and see if you're getting any fluid.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:50 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

My brother lives in the DC Area and might be coming up this weekend, I could send hom home with mine.

I've only seen one brake master cylinder go bad on a C5 and it totally failed, (i.e. No Pedal at all). Luckily it happened right in front of my house ( I live on a dead end street).

Ended up replacing it and running the automated bleed procedure.

Have you tried the gravity method. Crack open your rear bleeders with the car jacked up ( higher in the front) and see if you're getting any fluid.
That is awesome of you to offer, but I will be out of town this weekend and a good part of next week, so I'm going to get this done today. This forum probably has the coolest members of any of the forums I read.

I had the car level with all four wheels off when I tried bleeding the brakes; I could try it again with the front higher later today. When I cracked the bleeder screws there was some fluid present, but there was not enough pressure when the brake pedal was depressed to cause any to shoot out...

Also, when I drove the car again this morning the problem had "magically" disappeared again. Right now the brake pedal is very firm and very high. Maybe I have a poltergeist living in my engine bay screwing around with the brake lines while I'm not looking
Old 06-09-2011, 12:28 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Maybe you have an air pocket. You could try re-bleeding them again.

Then take the car out and stomp on the brake pedal to activate ABS and try bleeding again. You may have some air bubbles in the ABS Block, that can only be bleed out via activation or the automated bleed procedure.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:34 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Maybe you have an air pocket. You could try re-bleeding them again.

Then take the car out and stomp on the brake pedal to activate ABS and try bleeding again. You may have some air bubbles in the ABS Block, that can only be bleed out via activation or the automated bleed procedure.
I've been looking for a reason to try out the new HPS pads
Old 06-09-2011, 01:15 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnape
Ice mode?

Get notified of new replies

To Soft Brake Pedal Help

Old 06-09-2011, 01:45 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's the situation... I had to panic stop tonight to avoid running into someone that pulled out into traffic. Immediately after that the pedal went soft and the brakes won't engage until the pedal is 90% of the way to the floor.

Got home, checked for leaks and couldn't find any. Pulled codes and found none. Went to bleed brakes (two-person method) and the rear brakes will not bleed, but the front ones will. Also, with the rear bleeder screws open, the brake pedal will not go to the floor, but it will with the front bleeder screws open. Checked EXTENSIVELY for leaks and found none. Anybody have any suggestions as to what I should look at next?
your braking system is messed up bad... the fact you cannot bleed rear calipers is terrifying ! take it to a good mechanic.

fyi this is NOT ICE MODE ! believe me i know!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:57 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by rustyguns
your braking system is messed up bad... the fact you cannot bleed rear calipers is terrifying ! take it to a good mechanic.

fyi this is NOT ICE MODE ! believe me i know!
Never really considered ice mode to be a possibility. I'm going to try to troubleshoot/repair myself first.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:33 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

never really considered ice mode to be a possibility. I'm going to try to troubleshoot/repair myself first.
ice mode is not a possibility.

Your rear brake system is screwed up!

Quick Reply: Soft Brake Pedal Help