C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outside Mirror Replacement

Old 08-25-2011, 01:57 PM
krawfo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Outside Mirror Replacement

I have an electrochromic outside mirror on the driver's side that is dead. I'd like to replace it with a regular mirror. Is there a "quick and dirty" way to do this or do I need to remove the door skin and work from the inside?
A source for the mirror?
Thanks.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:15 PM
bburn
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the exact same thing. I simply ordered a replacement mirror from one of the online GM parts vendors. You should go with a vendor that supports this forum. Part number was 12530715.

To install, you just use the mirror adjustment buttons on the door panel to turn the mirror all the way to one side. Then you just stick your fingers in behind the glass and gently pry with your fingers until it pops free. There are four ball & socket connectors that hold it on there and allow full adjustment of the mirror. It can be a bit tricky to get all four of the sockets lined back up when installing the new mirror. Once lined up, you just use medium pressure to pop all four of the ball & socket connections back together. It's pretty easy, you just need to look at it closely and have a good understanding of how it works before you proceed.

I plugged the mirror heater wire back into the new mirror as from the factory. For the electrochromatic control wire, I just taped the end up with electrical tape and tucked it in behind the new mirror. Works great! Glad I can finally see in the driver's mirror again and I do not miss the electrochromatic feature at all.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:51 PM
krawfo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bburn, thanks for the reply. That's great new. I was anticipating an entire afternoon on this project. This is like Christmas early !
You da' man!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:48 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

i've had mine apart a couple times...I broke the glass at one episode and found a stick on replacement on ebay for around $29...so, if you have trouble, and you might, there is an alternative. I've seen threads here too where a member was able to just pull the glass off the base...there is a heavy adhesive that can be defeated...do a search for that one because it avoids the horrible task of lining up those ball and sockets that you cannot see at all when you place the glass against the housing

Get notified of new replies

To Outside Mirror Replacement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Outside Mirror Replacement