C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Transmission fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 05:45 PM
02603sec
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bump for trans fluid

Yep. The method of disconnecting the outbound line to the cooler has been my preferred method for long time. I tow a 5 ton boat with my truck, so the 20 qts of fluid gets changed every season. I will note, however; I designed a beer bong with a r&r'd coat hanger hook about 6 ft long clear vinyl tube and a nipple to add fluid in the side plug. I hang it from a step ladder near the car, so I can see it from all angles. (I use a similar setup as a one man brake bleeder, which is very very effective). I also use a mirror to monitor the plug hole. I keep a catch pan underneath. no muss no fuss.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by 02603sec
I tow a 5 ton boat with my truck, so the 20 qts of fluid gets changed every season.
Unless you're exceeding the maximum tow rating, or driving 50k miles a year in your truck, you're probably wasting your money by doing fluid changes every season.

Quality synthetic transmission fluids are designed for 50k mile change intervals under severe conditions, which would include your truck, if it's maximum tow rating is not exceeded.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:44 PM
MikaN
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02603sec
Yep. The method of disconnecting the outbound line to the cooler has been my preferred method for long time. I tow a 5 ton boat with my truck, so the 20 qts of fluid gets changed every season. I will note, however; I designed a beer bong with a r&r'd coat hanger hook about 6 ft long clear vinyl tube and a nipple to add fluid in the side plug. I hang it from a step ladder near the car, so I can see it from all angles. (I use a similar setup as a one man brake bleeder, which is very very effective). I also use a mirror to monitor the plug hole. I keep a catch pan underneath. no muss no fuss.
What if you just leave the filter off and connect the vinyl hose to the filter input.
Huge drain pan under the transmission and run the car.
No need to disconnect any cooler line.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission fluid Change