C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Tuning"

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 03:14 PM
NorthEnco
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default "Tuning"

What exactly can someone expect from a "Custom Tune" on a stock
C5 LS1 with an automatic transmission.
The only thing this car has is an older BBN air intake with a K&N type
air filter.
The tuning shop I'm considering has a good reputation and say's that the rework of the " torgue management" will give me a noticeably improvement
in performance.
Since I'm completely new to this I would like any an all input from those
of you who are more we schooled in these matters.
Thanks
Bob
Old 09-22-2011, 03:24 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

The biggest change in feel since you have an auto trans is the reprogramming of the shift points, firmness and line pressure. Really wakes up the car. The stock programming for the trans is VERY conservative. I've driven a few auto C5's and they all feel very sluggish next to my 6MT, that changes after a tune.

There are adjustments they will likely make to several other tables as well. If the tuner is reputable and the price is right go for it.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:25 PM
mojo1
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I dont think its worth the money for tuning stock, I dont think you will gain anything , but I am not an expert. Gets some headers and high flow cats then tune it ...
edit , I didnt think about shift points as mine is a 6 speed, good point.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:33 PM
NorthEnco
Instructor

Default ok 50-50

OK so far 1 yea, 1 nay.
$280 for the tune down in Sunny Florida.

Any more input?

Please

Bob
Old 09-22-2011, 03:36 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by NorthEnco
OK so far 1 yea, 1 nay.
$280 for the tune down in Sunny Florida.

Any more input?

Please

Bob
In that case no.

Get a mail order tune from ECS. With your basic mods it will be just as good (or probably better considering the number of corvettes they tune) and I believe it only costs $150...
Old 09-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Are you in MAINE or Florida?? What type of TUNE is said shop going to do? CANNED tune (up-load a tune that works on the average LS engine) OR a professional tune and the TUNER uses a WIDE BAND and does actual adjustments to the Volumetric Efficiency table, MAF, Timing tables, WIDE OPEN THROTTLE AFR Adjustments etc etc...

That Info is very important to know as you may think you’re going to be getting more than you actually get!

I’ve had BOTH and I was NOT very happy with the quickie canned tune. It did NOTHING for fuel efficiency and minimal gains for performance. There was a difference but, nothing to write home about.

I had Corvettes Of Westchester do a complete tune and gained performance and almost 5 MPG. PHENOMAL RESULTS!

If it were me, I would do some mods that will make the tuning worth the effort .
A set of headers and a tune will make you think you have a new car!

BC
Old 09-22-2011, 04:02 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I got 19rwhp from a tune and with just a halltech stinger. It really does wake up an A4. Based on your other posts though, you are considering future modes. I would wait until the other mods are done.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:19 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7
In that case no.

Get a mail order tune from ECS. With your basic mods it will be just as good (or probably better considering the number of corvettes they tune) and I believe it only costs $150...

Thanks!

Many have said our mail order tune is the best mod they have done, and I would love to put you on that list as well!

Here is a link to our mail order tuning special.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-s...post1578770626

Old 09-22-2011, 04:25 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Are you in MAINE or Florida?? What type of TUNE is said shop going to do? CANNED tune (up-load a tune that works on the average LS engine) OR a professional tune and the TUNER uses a WIDE BAND and does actual adjustments to the Volumetric Efficiency table, MAF, Timing tables, WIDE OPEN THROTTLE AFR Adjustments etc etc...

That Info is very important to know as you may think you’re going to be getting more than you actually get!

I’ve had BOTH and I was NOT very happy with the quickie canned tune. It did NOTHING for fuel efficiency and minimal gains for performance. There was a difference but, nothing to write home about.

I had Corvettes Of Westchester do a complete tune and gained performance and almost 5 MPG. PHENOMAL RESULTS!

If it were me, I would do some mods that will make the tuning worth the effort .
A set of headers and a tune will make you think you have a new car!

BC

Bill,
I'm not sure which "canned tune" you went with, but I feel your post is categorizing all tunes per your single experience. Our mail order tunes are derived from dyno tunes of the specific operating system in the vehicle, where we have made changes to "VE tales, MAF, WOT A/F, timing etc etc.
We have had many people go from a dyno tune to our mail order tune and end up with a better running/faster car with better mileage too. Just because the car went on a dyno, does not necessarily mean it was done correctly IMO.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:53 PM
NorthEnco
Instructor

Default Maine and Florida

I live in Maine AND Florida. Maine during the good weather and Florida in the winter. The car will going to Florida for the winter and was planning on having ' Tampa Tuning" work on the car.
Some people have stated "wait till your done modding" before tuning.
The fact is I don't WANT to MOD any thing. I just want to know what a custom " Tune " will do for my stock vehicle.
Bob
Old 09-22-2011, 04:55 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by NorthEnco
I live in Maine AND Florida. Maine during the good weather and Florida in the winter. The car will going to Florida for the winter and was planning on having ' Tampa Tuning" work on the car.
Some people have stated "wait till your done modding" before tuning.
The fact is I don't WANT to MOD any thing. I just want to know what a custom " Tune " will do for my stock vehicle.
Bob
Call Doug (vendor in the post above) and talk to him. He'll be able to tell you EXACTLY what is done and what to expect. If you're not going to mod anything else then I'd say definitely do it. If you were going to do some performance mods in the near future then you'd want to wait...
Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking about getting a street tune as well. I have the Blackwing and B&B catbacks. Someone told me that due the mileage on the car(107,000) a tune might not be a good idea....Anyone agree with that statement?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:04 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ricknyc23
I was thinking about getting a street tune as well. I have the Blackwing and B&B catbacks. Someone told me that due the mileage on the car(107,000) a tune might not be a good idea....Anyone agree with that statement?
I'd disagree with it. IMHO any component that fails after a tune was going to fail soon anyway unless the tuner does something really stupid...
Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You may be better off putting off on a tune and ditching that blackwing in favor of a Vararam.It would be cheaper and adds performance you will notice!
Old 09-23-2011, 10:38 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by rebelheart
You may be better off putting off on a tune and ditching that blackwing in favor of a Vararam.It would be cheaper and adds performance you will notice!

If he doesn't track his car I'm not sure how much of a difference he'd notice. I don't think you'd "feel" the difference from a blackwing to a vararam... Your numbers might get a little better though.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:01 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

ECS mail order tune would be the best solution.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:26 AM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll keep tha Blackwing. Im not a fan of the quality of material for the Vararam...

Get notified of new replies

To "Tuning"

Old 09-23-2011, 11:45 AM
C5PEWTER/CONV
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do any of these tuning programs change the fuel cut off at red line. I can tell my C5 6 speed has more go at the 6200 rpm cutoff and I'm assuming the factory does this intentionally.

Thanks, I'm new to this performance modification game.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:38 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ricknyc23
I'll keep tha Blackwing. Im not a fan of the quality of material for the Vararam...
I went from a stock airfliter to a Blackwing and got zero,zip,nada,nothing in performance gains at the track,nor in the seat of my pants.Changed to a Vararam and went almost 4/10's quicker immediately! Throttle response was better on the street also.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by C5PEWTER/CONV
Do any of these tuning programs change the fuel cut off at red line. I can tell my C5 6 speed has more go at the 6200 rpm cutoff and I'm assuming the factory does this intentionally.

Thanks, I'm new to this performance modification game.
The motor might have some pull left in it, but the stock springs won't hold up. If you get that cutoff removed and bounce to 7 grand or more, expect a broken valve spring and major valve/piston damage.

Quick Reply: "Tuning"