C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stranded by Column lock-Grrrrrr :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Venomous
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stranded by Column lock-Grrrrrr :(

Yes fellas I've searched and searched and read about this till I can't see straight, but cannot figure out what I need to look for?

I made this happen somehow!!!
My blower motor quit and I went under the dash to remove it and check it out ( still works off a battery?) and after figuring I needed the resitor module for the blower I just left everything apart. ( blower and fusebox cover) This morning I go to fire her up for work and I get the dreaded SERVICE COLUMN LOCK and PULL KEY AND WAIT 10 SECONDS!! I spent about 30 minutes on it since I was already late for work and found nothing? I DO NOT hear the motor inside the column locking and unlocking anymore? I assume it has the bypass since the steering column doesn't lock anyways? It has always made the motor lock/unlock noise when key was removed or inserted though. What could I have hit in the wiring down there to do this? I WILL NOT call this coincidence as it obviously happened after I was messing around by the fusebox. Could it be due to the wiring to the blower not being hooked up? Loosing a ground or something due to unplugged blower and resistor module? I for sure had to have hit something under that side of the dash that triggered this column lock scenario?

Again, the column IS NOT LOCKED but I no longer hear the motor making its locking/unlocking noise. The whole reason I can't drive it is because it won't go over 3 MPH!!!

I do have HPTuners but not sure if that fuel cutoff is something I can change in the PCM?

Thanks to all who read and can help and God Bless!
Scott
Old 10-18-2011, 12:59 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

If you have hp-tuners....

System -> Fail FuelCut VSS -> set to 200mph
Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 PM
rboineau
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

C5s can crank/run fine but still throw messages and cause problems due to borderline battery voltage. Probably not your issue but you might check that the battery is holding over 12.5 volts at the terminals, engine off of course
Old 10-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Venomous
Pro

Thanks for the replies thus far. I will double check battery voltage as we did have a cold front last night I know those two run hand in hand. lol
Ok, so with HPTuners I can drive the car normally again and lose a theft deterent ( 3MPH ) but will still have the SERVICE COLUMN LOCK messages coming up? ( already hate the SERVICE TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM messages and having to clear every time)

What wiring is tapped into the fusebox ( if any) for the CLB?

I just had to have hit something down there?
Old 10-18-2011, 02:43 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Venomous
Thanks for the replies thus far. I will double check battery voltage as we did have a cold front last night I know those two run hand in hand. lol
Ok, so with HPTuners I can drive the car normally again and lose a theft deterent ( 3MPH ) but will still have the SERVICE COLUMN LOCK messages coming up? ( already hate the SERVICE TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM messages and having to clear every time)

What wiring is tapped into the fusebox ( if any) for the CLB?

I just had to have hit something down there?

HP tuners will get rid of the 2-3mph cutoff, but you'll still get the message. If you have a CLB, there is nothing tapped into the fusebox
Old 10-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Just buy a CLB and be done with it. You probably still have the k harness. Just check it take 2 minutes think you need a T15 driver for the panel.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Venomous
Pro

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Just buy a CLB and be done with it. You probably still have the k harness. Just check it take 2 minutes think you need a T15 driver for the panel.
This is where I am confused a lil. If it has the CLB the steering wheel will not lock correct? Mine will not lock. I could always here the lock motor engaging/disengaging though?
Old 10-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

This is where I am confused a lil. If it has the CLB the steering wheel will not lock correct? Mine will not lock. I could always here the lock motor engaging/disengaging though?
They probably put the plate so it won't lock. I bet you still have the k harness and it gave up the ghost. It looks like this

use these instructions
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=24
Old 10-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Venomous
Pro

Originally Posted by Chicago1
They probably put the plate so it won't lock. I bet you still have the k harness and it gave up the ghost. It looks like this

use these instructions
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=24

Thanks for the info bud. I am going to look under the column when I get home. Just seems I had to have hit something or moved something while doing the blower motor that caused this. I happened immediately afterwards! Just can't see it being coincidence. Just wanna reverse it,lol.
Where would the relay for the Column lock be? I imagine it has one being a little motor/solenoid.

How could the K harness just go bad? Isn't it just wires or are there resistors in there or something?

Thanks again guys!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:43 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

The Harness K harness contains a relay that can fail, and it keeps the actuator in the circuit so you hear it cycle even though the lockplate has been removed and the column cannot lock.
If you find the Harness K relay mounted to the left of the steering column, you might try disconnecting the relay and reconnecting the actuator in the stock configuration to see if that solves your problem.
As long as the actuator still works, you should be able to drive the car. Long term, you may want to replace the GM relay with an aftermarket column lock bypass relay.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:08 AM
alankb
Pro

I'm totally amazed that this problem continues to rear it's ugly head. Never had the problem,
(01 Auto), and glad I never will! Seems like a very bad safety thing.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Venomous
Pro

Thanks so much for replying to me with such useful knowledge. I haven't found my problem yet, I don't think, but just as I gave up on things last night and buying the new blower module that didn't work, I found a thread about those relays related to the clogged udders and water in the blower box and in those relays. Well, I went back out and found one relay was corroded a lil but I noticed when shaking it I could hear pieces inside it. Low and behold I swapped it with a known good one from my old WS6 Trans Am and I had HVAC blower again!
Now I haven't gone back and erased the codes in the PCM/BCM but I did notice I no longer have the key in chime? Obviously that has somthing to do with the situation.

I did have 2 BCM codes about lock cylinder driver A&B? Not sure if it's just picking that up due to a CLB issue or something I tampered with still as the key chime missing leads me to another relay possibly? I did have one fuse for BCM blown (23 I believe) Think it said BCM 2 or something like that? I did change my fuel controls in HPTuners, but still want the display gone back to where it's not showing Pull Key and Wait 10 Seconds and Service Column Lock messages.

Thanks again for your help!
Scott
P.S. still not ruling out the K harness, just hard to imagine it happening as I was fiddling with stuff down there. Battery showed to be 12.6 as well.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Venomous
Pro

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
The Harness K harness contains a relay that can fail, and it keeps the actuator in the circuit so you hear it cycle even though the lockplate has been removed and the column cannot lock.
If you find the Harness K relay mounted to the left of the steering column, you might try disconnecting the relay and reconnecting the actuator in the stock configuration to see if that solves your problem.
As long as the actuator still works, you should be able to drive the car. Long term, you may want to replace the GM relay with an aftermarket column lock bypass relay.
So can I just remove the relay on the K harness and replace it? Really want the messages on the DIC to disappear.?
Old 10-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

So can I just remove the relay on the K harness and replace it? Really want the messages on the DIC to disappear.?
You can take it out now and toss it as far as possible since you have the hp tuners fuel set to it's limit but you will probably still have the display message. I had the same issue when I had the k harness pull key wait 10 sec but had the fuel set to 255 or whatever(ECS tune) I removed the K harness and no more message. About 3 months later battery was a little weak after jamming out and recharged it really quick but still got pull key. I let it charge overnight and message is gone and about 2 months after that I got pull key. SO I got me a real CLB from COH(Corvettes of Houston) and I have been message free/error free for over a year. Insure your battery if fully charged, posts are nice and clean and the terminals are nice and tight. You would be surprised what havoc a low battery can cause on these cars. try clearing the codes from the DIC. Just in case you don't have this here you go..

http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm
Old 10-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Alludc
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uhg! My turn this morning before I left for work. column isnt locked but I am getting the fuel cutoff. Will have my hptuners bud come by after work tonite to set the fuel cutoff to 200, but still need to see about the bypass. based on the previous owners ****-ness with this car and all its TSBs etc Id think this would have already been done ( 99 with 59k miles ). So, when I go home to look around later, what fuses should I check and where would I find the relay/bypass if he indeed had it installed?
Old 10-24-2011, 12:51 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alludc
Uhg! My turn this morning before I left for work. column isnt locked but I am getting the fuel cutoff. Will have my hptuners bud come by after work tonite to set the fuel cutoff to 200, but still need to see about the bypass. based on the previous owners ****-ness with this car and all its TSBs etc Id think this would have already been done ( 99 with 59k miles ). So, when I go home to look around later, what fuses should I check and where would I find the relay/bypass if he indeed had it installed?
Remove the driver's side knee bolster (2 T15 screws). It's under there...
Old 10-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Alludc
Pro

the recall was done by the dealer less than one year ago. The column no longer locks at all. That being said, if I simply clear the fuel cutoff mph with HP Tuners am I good to go? What about the DIC message?

Get notified of new replies

To Stranded by Column lock-Grrrrrr :(

Old 10-24-2011, 03:14 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alludc
the recall was done by the dealer less than one year ago. The column no longer locks at all. That being said, if I simply clear the fuel cutoff mph with HP Tuners am I good to go? What about the DIC message?
You'll still have the message. Replace the K-Harness with an aftermarket CLB and have the fuel shutoff reprogrammed then you'll be good to go. Since your column does not lock you'll be able to drive after reprogramming the fuel shutoff but the message will be there until you get a CLB that works...
Old 10-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Alludc
Pro

Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7
You'll still have the message. Replace the K-Harness with an aftermarket CLB and have the fuel shutoff reprogrammed then you'll be good to go. Since your column does not lock you'll be able to drive after reprogramming the fuel shutoff but the message will be there until you get a CLB that works...
just like you said. im drivin again, but the message remains. off to spend $50 I go...
Old 10-25-2011, 10:19 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

If you heard the lock/unlock you did not have the bypass.

Quick Reply: Stranded by Column lock-Grrrrrr :(