C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Techron Plus, Stabil, fuel sensor problems, and wintering

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:13 AM
RBS-C5
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Techron Plus, Stabil, fuel sensor problems, and wintering

I have not had any fuel gauge/sensor issues on my 2003 Vette, but I'm thinking of putting a 20 oz. bottle of Techron Plus in the gas tank over the winter. Note that you must use the "Plus" version of Techron to do any good against sulfur contamination on the fuel level sensor. My thought is that if the Techron Plus works to remove sulfur contamination that can cause fuel sensor problems, then perhaps having the fuel sensor sit in a bath of Techron Plus over the winter might be a good preventive measure.

To check on that idea, I called the number on the Techron Plus container (800-523-3013) and asked if doing that would help clean away sulfur contamination. The answer was "maybe", but that no harm would come from having the Techron Plus in the gas over the winter. Both people I spoke with seemed to focus more on "you must have the engine running in order to clean the engine and injectors". When I explained that I was focused on cleaning the fuel sensor sitting in the tank of gas that's when I got the "maybe it will help, but it won't hurt" answer.

I asked if there was any bad interaction between having Stabil and Techron Plus in the gas tank together over the winter. I was referred to another number (510-242-5357 9-11 and 1-3 pacific time) for the "Fuels department". The gentleman I spoke with there said that they have no direct knowledge of the chemistry that might occur from having both in the gas at the same time. But, he said that if something bad were to happen that they would probably have heard about it by now.

I asked this gentleman to explain exactly what goes wrong with the fuel sensor with respect to the sulfur contamination issue. He explained that the sulfur compounds in the gas have a reaction with the silver coating on the surface of the fuel sensor to form what is essentially a non-conductive "tarnish" on the surface of the silver. He explained that "tarnish" is not precisely correct since that is the reaction between silver and oxygen. In this case it is a reaction between silver and sulfur compounds. This buildup of a non-conductive "tarnish" layer on the surface of the silver causes the resistance of the fuel sensor circuit to increase. The computer in the C5 is essentially measuring the resistance of the fuel sensor circuit in each tank. (I say "essentially" because what it actually measures is a voltage that is proportional to the fuel sensor resistance.) I've been told that when it sees an unexpected discrepancy between the fuel level reading in the left and right tanks it decides that the best thing to do in that situation is to position the fuel guage at empty.

Given that helpful explanation, I asked the gentleman if there would be any benefit from having the fuel sensor sit in a bath of gas and Techron Plus over the winter. He said that indeed there would be benefit since the Techron Plus would have all that time to dissolve any existing "tarnish" on the silver contacts, and also to react with the silver in such a way as to help prevent future "tarnishing".

That's interesting. I wonder how many C5 owners put Techron Plus in their gas tank and then to go out and drive around hoping to get rid of any sulfur contamination? Apparently they would be better off to put the Techron Plus in the gas tank, fill the tank, drive home and let the Vette sit for as long as possible so that the good stuff in Techron Plus can eat away at the "tarnish" layer.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:16 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

Everytime I leave the car unused for a few days (long weekends, vacation ect) I techron it and fill up with Shell (it's close). No problems in several years. I think this is more effective than the 'shake and bake' method.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Txsailor
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only fuel I have available to me that doesn't have ethanol in it is Fina. I have no idea how it rates as far as sulfur content, does anyone else? I have been using Techron every few months and have had no problems, but like everyone else don't want any.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:26 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW I put Ring free made by chevron (I think it is techron but keep it a between just us). and Stabilizer in the fuel over the winger in my boat. I never have an issue. Techron is normally in chevron gas anyway, you would just be adding to the concentration.

Stabil is used in boats all the time for long storage. Mine sit's 3 months at time.

Want to buy a boat?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 AM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RBS-C5
I have not had any fuel gauge/sensor issues on my 2003 Vette, but I'm thinking of putting a 20 oz. bottle of Techron Plus in the gas tank over the winter. Note that you must use the "Plus" version of Techron to do any good against sulfur contamination on the fuel level sensor. My thought is that if the Techron Plus works to remove sulfur contamination that can cause fuel sensor problems, then perhaps having the fuel sensor sit in a bath of Techron Plus over the winter might be a good preventive measure.

To check on that idea, I called the number on the Techron Plus container (800-523-3013) and asked if doing that would help clean away sulfur contamination. The answer was "maybe", but that no harm would come from having the Techron Plus in the gas over the winter. Both people I spoke with seemed to focus more on "you must have the engine running in order to clean the engine and injectors". When I explained that I was focused on cleaning the fuel sensor sitting in the tank of gas that's when I got the "maybe it will help, but it won't hurt" answer.

I asked if there was any bad interaction between having Stabil and Techron Plus in the gas tank together over the winter. I was referred to another number (510-242-5357 9-11 and 1-3 pacific time) for the "Fuels department". The gentleman I spoke with there said that they have no direct knowledge of the chemistry that might occur from having both in the gas at the same time. But, he said that if something bad were to happen that they would probably have heard about it by now.

I asked this gentleman to explain exactly what goes wrong with the fuel sensor with respect to the sulfur contamination issue. He explained that the sulfur compounds in the gas have a reaction with the silver coating on the surface of the fuel sensor to form what is essentially a non-conductive "tarnish" on the surface of the silver. He explained that "tarnish" is not precisely correct since that is the reaction between silver and oxygen. In this case it is a reaction between silver and sulfur compounds. This buildup of a non-conductive "tarnish" layer on the surface of the silver causes the resistance of the fuel sensor circuit to increase. The computer in the C5 is essentially measuring the resistance of the fuel sensor circuit in each tank. (I say "essentially" because what it actually measures is a voltage that is proportional to the fuel sensor resistance.) I've been told that when it sees an unexpected discrepancy between the fuel level reading in the left and right tanks it decides that the best thing to do in that situation is to position the fuel guage at empty.

Given that helpful explanation, I asked the gentleman if there would be any benefit from having the fuel sensor sit in a bath of gas and Techron Plus over the winter. He said that indeed there would be benefit since the Techron Plus would have all that time to dissolve any existing "tarnish" on the silver contacts, and also to react with the silver in such a way as to help prevent future "tarnishing".

That's interesting. I wonder how many C5 owners put Techron Plus in their gas tank and then to go out and drive around hoping to get rid of any sulfur contamination? Apparently they would be better off to put the Techron Plus in the gas tank, fill the tank, drive home and let the Vette sit for as long as possible so that the good stuff in Techron Plus can eat away at the "tarnish" layer.

Stabil is a gas additive that is a fuel supplement used to control water condensation in fuel tanks..Water and fuel are not a good mix and Stabil helps to control water condensation from a fuel break down caused by outside temperature changes..Heated storage area then no problems...

Last edited by kg54trains; 11-04-2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-07-2011, 01:34 PM
RBS-C5
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Techron Plus on sale through Nov. 2011

Advance Auto Parts has 20 oz. Techron Concentrate Plus - buy one get one free - through the end of November.

I bought 4 bottles and paid $27.66.

Last edited by RBS-C5; 11-07-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 AM
smithd7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Txsailor
The only fuel I have available to me that doesn't have ethanol in it is Fina. I have no idea how it rates as far as sulfur content, does anyone else? I have been using Techron every few months and have had no problems, but like everyone else don't want any.
Just wondering since Ethanol is such a great cleaning agent wouldn't it also help keep the sulfur contamination from the fuel level sensor?

Get notified of new replies

To Techron Plus, Stabil, fuel sensor problems, and wintering

Quick Reply: Techron Plus, Stabil, fuel sensor problems, and wintering